• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Review

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Your private pilot certificate NEVER expires. In order to exercise the privileges of your certificate, you do have to have a BFR every two years, UNLESS you have. . .well, I'll let the FAR speak for itself.

61.56 subsection (d)

A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, passed a pilot proficiency check conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege, need not accomplish the flight review required by this section

So, if you can find a check airman willing to sign you off for your BFR, you should be alright, unless you have a certificate/rating from the Navy (not sure how that works).

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Interesting. I'm not yet winged, but I did get my cloud card a few months ago. I'm not sure if that counts as a NATOPS check. I wonder if that'll suffice?

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Interesting. I'm not yet winged, but I did get my cloud card a few months ago. I'm not sure if that counts as a NATOPS check. I wonder if that'll suffice?

If in doubt, you can always check with the local FSDO, if you can find someone to answer the phone. If you do, you'll probably find someone who can answer a few questions better than I could. . .then again, I'm sure there are people here more knowledgeable about the military side of the house.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I don't know about an IFR ticket (surely it does), but I do know the annual NATOPs check suffices. Regardless, a BFR is a pretty simple ride...I did one in September and it was a good experience. Informative and zero stress.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot

Only thing that will get you is the civ IFR rating. Gotta have a current NATOPS qual to bypass the civ BFR. BFR's are totally painless, its not a check ride but more of a sanity check, you already have your license and its a CFI that signs the logbook stamp, not an examiner. All my civ BFR's were all of .5-.8 hours or so.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
^^What boomer said. . .the BFR is basically a "can I trust you to fly an airplane safely" ride. It's nothing terrible, and as he said, you usually end up learning something new.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Rog. I haven't flown a Cessna in well over a year and I've forgotten just about everything specific to general aviation. This should be interesting.

yak52driver

Contributor
This doc from AOPA is probably more than you want to know, but sort of lays out the BFR in detail: http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/sa03.pdf

The flight portion of the BFR is supposed to be an hour of dual instruction. I try to make it a learning experience when I give it. During the oral I'll cover things like air space, weight and balance, EP's, flight planning. Much of it is stuff that pilots don't think about (but should) so it's a refresher. The flight portion I'll have them do stalls, slow flight, steep turns, EP's, things along those lines because most pilots probably haven't done them since their last BFR. For landings we'll review short/soft field t.o.'s and landings. You can't fail a BFR, if you're not up to snuff it's just logged as dual instruction, there's no notation that the BFR was failed.

ryan1234

If you picked up a civilian pilot certificate and/or rating of some kind (i.e. Instrument, etc) that will suffice as a BFR. So say you went to the FSDO and got an Instrument rating added onto your Private - your new temp/hard copy would have an new issuance date, which would be the starting date for the next BFR.

The only thing that wouldn't count as a BFR is an instructor certificate (unless the examiner/instructor agreed to do the BFR during the practical test)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Rog. I haven't flown a Cessna in well over a year and I've forgotten just about everything specific to general aviation. This should be interesting.

Level Idle Flare.

A 1.0 with a CFI in a 165hp fixed gear, fixed prop plane ain't sounding half bad these days. Kinda like a day off.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Level Idle Flare.

A 1.0 with a CFI in a 165hp fixed gear, fixed prop plane ain't sounding half bad these days. Kinda like a day off.

First time flying a Piper after helo advanced, unconsciously tried to pull the airplane into a hover on final. Needless to say, glad the CFI doing the review was on his game that day.