• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight physicals

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
No. I went to MCAS Beaufort....Everyone does however get a flight physical at NAMI at the start of API....hence the NAMI whammy.

Schnanigans

bummer, I was excited about visiting the Redneck Riviera.. Haven't escaped the rock lately, but I'll probably just go to my regular flight surgeon then. :(

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
They usually send you to the nearest Flight Doc (probably at the nearest NAS/MCAS) then you get another one done at NAMI when you get to P'Cola to make sure the first Flight Doc didn't miss anything.

borinf2d

T-Bone
They're sending me down to pensacola in september for a flight phys. will that one be good for api? I'm in the process of going to occ 199 in oct.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
being in California, I figured I would be sent to the nearest doc in state...Nope, Im heading to Pensacola in december for mine...no complaints

joemcspeed

I have OCS complete and Im just now scheduled for the NAMI whammy sept 7th. Better that we do it there and know what the real deal is then to pass at some other MCAS and be surprised in pensacola.

ka$h

Referring to the message above, if we originally had our Flight Physical done at NAMI will we have to re-accomplish another once we report to API or is it good for 2 years?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Referring to the message above, if we originally had our Flight Physical done at NAMI will we have to re-accomplish another once we report to API or is it good for 2 years?

Flight physicals, in general, are only good for one year. So if you had a FP at NAMI within the past year, you'll be good.

For example, I had a FP done at OCS in pcola. All I needed before API was to go to branch and just get them to write me a new up-chit for the new command (Since I was then at NASC instead of OTCP). No actualy "physical" done. Just a new piece of paper.

borinf2d

T-Bone
I'm flying down to Pensacola Sunday morning for my flight physical prior to OCS. To anyone who has been there for this, where dd you stay while you are down there? I get down there Sunday morning and leave Wednesday evening.

staff03

When you get your flight phys at OCS and API, do they use those machines you have to put your forehead up to to test for near and distant vision or do they use an actual chart?

Bolter

pilot
Several questions from below that were not answered.

No, your OCS flight physical will not be good for API. The other post about NAMI Whammy is no joke. No trying to scare anyone, just letting it be known that every so often, you'll get all the way to API and then get the boot from NAMI.

Yes, you can get your flight physical done in one day. As for getting it done on a Saturday, I am not sure. We all know how much the medical clinic enjoys working on the weekends.

There was another question about what tests they run at the API flight phys---all of them. Plan on being there for a while with your whole class, running around like a bunch of fools trying to track down everyone you have to go see.

The flight physicals get a little less "detailed" as the years go on (except for the 5-year long form), so just get through these and there isn't much to stress about--besides getting through flight school and what not :icon_wink

johnsmith3168

I had my FP at Corpus Christi for the Marines and at Clearwater FL for the CG during the application process. All was said and done by 2 pm on the first day and I was on a plane back by 4 pm for both of them. From what I hear it can take up to four days at P'cola due to the number of physicals being done.

When you go, make sure you know your blood type or that you have the little tube drawn for it at the lab. I was lucky that I knew my blood type from OCS but the other two guys I was with had to get stuck twice and take even longer before everything was done. Another guy was sent home and failed on the spot because he didn't bring his records from a surgery that he had. Also make sure to fast, otherwise your blood work will come back messed up and you will have to do it all again. Overall, nothing was unexpected. The eye exam is the most intense for me, but I passed everything without problems. And my eyes stayed dialated for about 36 hours. Definitely dont plan on being able to see for 2-3 hours after they dialate them...