• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight physical

Status
Not open for further replies.

los5041

I was just wondering when you go for your flight physical once you get commissioned can you be dropped from pilot for having scoliosis (a bend in the spine). Obviously for people who have a major problem they will be dropped but how about for slight problems. The reason I ask is because I got in a wreck on my motorcycle this weekend and when they took an x-ray of my back they said i have a slight bend but nothing major. The scoliosis was not a result of the accident but something I have had for some time.

StuffMaster

I have a slight case of scoliosis caused by a short leg. My left leg is about 1/4 - 1/8 inch shorter than my right, causing my spine to curve slightly when standing barefoot. My dad is a chiropractor and noticed this when I was very young. I've always worn an insole lift to remedy the short leg - and also because I have flat feet.

I did a MEPS physical in 2000. Although I didn't end up sending in my application, they did qualify me for pilot. The chief doctor interrogated me thoroughly, but I insisted that I don't have back pain and it's never been a problem. I assume you can wear lifts inside your boots in the Navy, otherwise I'll be screwed.

I'm currently working on a second bachelor's degree and plan on applying within a year. I overtrained a coulpla months ago and got a shin splint...hope I can get over it. I'm also not sure they'll accept me, so everybody pray for the StuffMaster!

StuffMaster

punac

As far as my own research has gone, I believe I have scoliosis. In the past, whenever I've had a physical I made a conscious effort to straighten up, I have studied myself in the mirror to see what position gives my back the most straight appearance.

I joined the army when I was 18 and past entrance physical. At age 29 I passed the flight physical for the Navy. Hopefully, as long as you have no back pain you will be okay.

Undertow

I have minor mid thoracic scoliosis, this is according to the doc. who did my candidate flight physical. This was a surprise to me, I'm 25 and never knew I had this until a month ago when he told me. He gave me the thumbs up and said I have no physically disqualifying problems that would prevent me from getting in as an SNA so that should answer your question as per a USN Capt. flight surgeon.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Jesus Christ Landrau! You better not NPQ yourself for trying to set a new record on I-480.

NavyLonghorn

StuffMaster Quotes:

"I did a MEPS physical in 2000. Although I didn't end up sending in my application, they did qualify me for pilot."

Last time I checked, MEPS has no ability to "qualify you for pilot." They dont even qualify you for OCS. It's just a filter along the way, one of many. You are not qualified to be a pilot until you take a full flight physical.

kaiken82

Having taken the qaulifying physical for both the USMC and USN I can tell you the physical you recieve at the MEPS just scratches the surface of a true flight physical such as the one administered by NOMI. This screws some guys going in the Navy with a pilot contract since they haven't truly qualified by NOMI's standards if they have only taken a MEPS physical. The USMC requires its candidates to have a flight physical to NOMI's standards before it will grant an aviation contract. This is why you hear of the NOMI whammy, guys get Pensacola thinking they are qualified until they do the full flight physical, it sounds ass backwards to me but apparently happens quite often.

"WELL, ARE YOU GONNA PULL THOSE PISTOLS OR WHISTLE DIXIE"

THE OUTLAW JOSIE WALES

los5041

Well I hope that I don't end up getting screwed in the long run but nothing I can do. Hey there Lalack, Sorry I mean sir. How is the married life going for you. The accident actually happened in your hometown of brecksville through the metroparks (damn those turns). Give me a call sometime when you come home so we can go out before I head back to school.

mccabe1919

los5041,
I am assuming you are going for the Marines since you are on the Marine section of the forum, so going on that assuption you will have a full flight physical before you submit your package. Mine was done in Philly and a naval flight surgeon has to sign off on it. They do take x-rays of you as well in all kinds of different positions. The physical actually really blows but I'm sure you should be fine. You will know if you qualify shortly after that, but with the Marines you will at least know before you go down to P-cola... Good luck!

los5041

Mcceba1919,
Sorry if I butchered your name up there, but when you say that before they submit your package they give you that flight physical what package are you talking about? Are you talking about your package to TBS or OCS or to Flight School, because I went to OCS last summer and I don't remeber taking any x-rays. Also I am already on a flight contract so I don't really understand what package you are talking about. If you could please respond I would truly appreciate it. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.