• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

flight physical

Status
Not open for further replies.

marti

It is my understanding that when you apply for a Marine sna slot that you get the MEPS physical and then an actual flight physical before you are 100% givin the slot and given an ocs start date. Is this it for the physicals or do you wind up getting overlooked by NOMI again before or during API? What is the whole scoop?

davidsin

From the best of my knowledge you get the regular Meps physical, then you get a flight physical, and you get another one before API. That's what the doc told me when I was getting my flight physical.

Semper Fi

Jafar

That's what I gather as well. I did my meps physical, then the flight physical (just did it a week ago), then you do another one after TBS. However the flight physical is only good for two years. So you have to be commisioned within two years of recieving it for it to remain valid.

Rainman

pilot
You only need a MEPS aviation candidate physical for OCS (SNA approval); not a no s&*t flight physical like at a base--you need that before commissioning (within 2 years as it's been posted here). The couple OSOs I've known always do this your senior year (if PLC). If OCC of course you'd have to have the flight physical done before OCS. They trying more and more these days to give SNAs a flight physical at TBS or at least take care of the expired and missing paperwork folks. No matter what you will have another before you class up for API. If you had a thorough one done at TBS, it will be a breeze; just eyes and blood pressure for me. Of course you don't have any say in whether you get one @ TBS; more up to the BN Air Officer--but that seems to be the way they are going. Make copies of your physicals if you can-that saved countless lieutenants some trouble at TBS. Sure beats the whole day long routine if it is unnecessary.

SempFi

Lt_SNA_USMC

I got a comprehensive flight physical before I even contracted as a PLC air. My OSO did that so that I would know before I even went to OCS whether I would be physically qualed for a pilot slot or not. I never went to MEPS. From what I gather, flight physicals are good for either 18 or 24 months (I forget). Even as a candidate, I had to go get another flight phys every so often so as to stay current. Your flight phys definately needs to be up to date prior to commissioning. I also gather that they give you an abbreviated flight phys at TBS and another complete phys at P'cola. I do not know why an air contract would need to go to MEPS unless your OSO originally contracts you as ground and then gives you an air slot(which I thinks happens often). Hope this helps.
Lt. Williamson, USMC

Rainman

pilot
You should look outside the box. . . .

In some OSOs, MEPS is local, going to a Naval Hospital (or other appropriate facility) is not too feasible, especially while school is in session. So, a "aviation candidate" physical can be done at a MEPS station and it can guarantee you a flight slot with HQMC before attending OCS. It's more of a geographic convenience thing . . as far as how it is done.

My point about TBS physical is that many SNAs were given throrough flight physicals (regardless of when the last one was) at TBS to make sure 1) you didn't have any reason to compete for a ground MOS 2) avoid a long one at API. Because we got thorough Quanitco physicals, some of us spent 30 minutes at NAMI Pensacola rather than 7 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.