• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

flight physical when reporting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul121080

I am in the PLC program with the marines. I will be reporting to Tbs in sept. Just recently i passed my flight physical (which was my second) I was originally snfo but with all the badgering I gave my OSO he finagled enough to get me another chance to pass my eye exam. Well I did but now I am concerned that I am going to be a victim of the NAMI-WHAMMY when I get to flight school. What I was wondering is do they always give you a full physical or are there certain situations when they do not do the full physical again )ie if you had one in the last year)? what i really want to know is will i have to retake my eye exam regardless? Thank you for clearing this up for me

paul121080

its a long story but shortly speaking, the cutoff is 20-40 and i had just worse than that so i took some bilberry herbs which is supposed to boost your eyesight and so then i went back and passed it pretty easily. But now i am wondering if i have to take another one before i start apis or if this one will be sufficient

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I had one done while at TBS (which I recommend everyone do), but still had to take a "partial" once I got here for API. That includes the eye exam. They didn't dilate my pupils, but they did several tests, a couple of which I had never seen before. They sat me down at one point in an exam room and made me read a wall chart. I couldn't read it for crap. Pushing 20/100. I was SCARED TO DEATH!! They told me I could retry after lunch. I went to lunch, couldn't eat a bite, then went back for my retry (different room this time). Piece of cake. 20/20 easy. Come to find out from the doc that retested me, several people had failed the same exam in the same examination room, but had passed on their retry. Very odd, and EXTREMELY demoralizing.

Brandon

Jboomer, Did you have a choice if you took another flight physical at TBS, or what dictates if you have to do one or do all SNA's do one? also did they dilate your eyes at TBS again. I just barely passed the dilation refraction for my flight physical and I am worried about having to do it again at TBS.It will have only been a year since my last full flight physical

paul121080

thanx a lot jboomer, i appreciate it. In the meantime for all of you who are worried about passing the eye exam, take bilberry supplements, the gel capsule are best. they can be picked up at any GNC and elsewhere i am sure. It will help more than you can imagine

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Well, they scheduled everyone that had a physical coming due during TBS. Some of us had physicals that were going to expire when we got to P'cola or ws going to expire while we were in API. We chose to have it done at TBS in order to avoid NAMMI altogether. If I remember right, when we had our aviation night, we were encouraged by the student control officer at MATSG to have it done in Virginia because it would be easier than the one at NAMI. I don't think it was easier, I just think they were a little more liable to let some things slip where NAMI would beat it to death. NAMI says they aren't there to wash people out of the program. I completely disagree, but what do I know. We scheduled our own appointment close to the end of TBS, that way we could stretch out the time so we wouldn't need one while in P'cola. But, I turned 25 here, and had to do a long form anyway.

Yes they dilated my pupils at TBS.

paul121080

so what you are saying jboomer is that if my physical is still good to last through api then i will not have to recieve another one from NAMI? I just had one and it will be less than a year before i report to api

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
No, we still had to have a physical done in API, but it was the "short" form. They still did the eye exams, they just didn't dilate our pupils. We had the EKG's done again, we had to sit in the space chair again, and I don't recall what else. I had to have an updated physical done here again (my annual physical AND it was also my 25 year "long" form). But, they did this physical here at Whiting Field, and they still didn't dilate my pupils.

wanaBpilot

Pro Rec'd NFO
I've heard that if you don't pass the eye for sna at OCS they send you home, anyone have a similar experience? I initially thought the eye exam at OCS didn't matter, but now I'm worried.

-Every Challenge Could Have Paradise Behind It-

Status
Not open for further replies.