• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight physical questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

phishnguy

What do the corpsmen test for on the Marine Physical? Is there blood work that test for diseases, drugs, and other potential problems? I have heard they also do body measurements, for the obvious reasons? Any stories would be appreciated. Thanks.

gnorman911

Don't worry about the Flight Physical. It is really very easy, just takes a few hours to complete it. Yes, they do take allot of blood about 5 vials or so. But the worst part is the rectal exam, but flight surgeon said that is the last one till you turn 35. Just make sure you are as nice as you can be to the corpsmen, they can really be allot of help at the end of the process when you are trying to finish up.. Lots of please and thank youssss........ Have fun...

I did take mine at the reserve center not meps, so I guess I had it easier. Also, make sure you get a long form flight physical.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by gnorman911
Don't worry about the Flight Physical. It is really very easy, just takes a few hours to complete it. Yes, they do take allot of blood about 5 vials or so. But the worst part is the rectal exam, but flight surgeon said that is the last one till you turn 35. Just make sure you are as nice as you can be to the corpsmen, they can really be allot of help at the end of the process when you are trying to finish up.. Lots of please and thank youssss........ Have fun...

I did take mine at the reserve center not meps, so I guess I had it easier. Also, make sure you get a long form flight physical.

I went to MEPS and went through a run-of-the-mill physical. The only thing I had to do extra involved more vision tests. Definitely no rectal exam...

Did I miss something?

1devildoc

Take it from a corpsman's wife...Be nice to the corpsmen...My husband used to work with this huge guy from Samoa, and when someone would come in with a bad attitude, they would have him do the rectal exams, because he had really fat fingers. Just a little laugh for you fly boys!

gnorman911

Well, I don't know about the fat fingers.... My flight surgeon went to my college too, so we were cool.. But since I did take the long form flight physical, it was exactly what they give at NAMI, which is more than they give at MEPS... I made sure I did the whole thing so that I would not get kicked at NAMI.. And the rectal thing, yeah, it sucks, but we all are going to have to go through it... Did I mention it sucks.... But I figure it is worse for the flight surgeon, ewwww....

wonderboy47

Bloodwork tests for everything from HIV to choleterol (sp) levels. I guess that's why they starve you starting the day before the physical.
Physical measurements ensure you don't get to flight school before they realize your knees hit the HUD or you can't reach all the switches in the cockpit.
I think the rectal exam is an employment benefit for the flight surgeons.
The worst part for me was when they dilated my eyes. I looked stoned for the next 3 days.

1devildoc

It is definately a good idea to get the complete physical asap...you don't want any surprises down the road. My husband passed just fine, and now he knows exactly what to expectonce he gets to NAMI.

jthomps1

Anybody know if I can take the flight physical prior to OCS (As a civilian)? I'm in Northern Florida (Jax) and have some time on my hands. Someone mentioned it might be a good idea to get it out of the way.

If I was able to pass the full flight physical now, would I have to do it again prior to API?

Any thought? Thanks! -JT

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I would also like to know if I can do this as a civilian?

"There were many airplanes, but it was the skinny bird that scared us the most."
- Iraqi POW on the AH-1W Cobra -

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Does anyone know if a 1st class flight physical (civilian physical that airline pilots are required to have every six months) is similar or can replace the any of the military physicals? I doubt it, but I thought I would ask.

The Jolly Roger
pirate_125.gif

gnorman911

no, the FAA flight physical is not the same. And yes you can take it as a civilian. I took my long form flight physical at NAS JAX Reserve Medical Center. Just have you recruiter set it up. It will count as you going to MEPS for your application.

Miramar

Does anyone know what kind of a hassle it's going to be when I go in for my physical and have a couple previous surgeries under my belt? More specifically, I'm worried about getting disqualified for having rotar cuff surgery a couple years ago from a baseball injury and then dislocating my other shoulder last year playing football. Since then, I've regained full range of motion with no limiting circumstances in either arm, but I've heard stories about applicants getting disqualified for just about any reason the surgeons can find. Would it be beneficial to get my orthopedic surgeon to fill out a full evaluation form to show the flight surgeon before I go, or is it basically just go in and hope for the best? And if I was disqualified, how does the whole waiver process work? Thanks for the help.

jthomps1

Wait, I'm a little confused about the differenc between the "MEPS" physical and the "NAMI" physical.

When I applied for OCS, I had a fairly intensive physical taken...does this count for anything?

If I get this "MEPS" physical done as a civilian, will I have to get the NAMI one done later as well? (Or if I just wait until the NAMI physical, is that the only physical I really need?)

Thanks- JT

Status
Not open for further replies.