• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical Question

Astronauticus

Hey all, so here is the situation. I applied for OCS and I was selected for the Pilot Officer Program. My OCS class date is September 9th, 2012. After I complete OCS I will have to undergo another flight physical before I begin flight training. Now this concerns me because during MEPS I had to retake the depth perception test and I'm not sure how this second exam differs from the first one. My main worry is that even though I passed the preliminary medical exam I might fail the second one. Is it common for pilot candidates to fail the second medical exam?

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
You will have to do an in-depth physical at OCS (way more intense than at MEPS) and then another abbreviated physical when you get to Pensacola(depending on your birthday and age). Both physicals will require depth perception tests; the physical at OCS involved you wearing some glasses (like 3-D glasses), staring at a book and saying which circles "popped out". Most SNAs found this one pretty easy and I don't think anyone in our class got the Whammy for that. The depth perception test at NAMI when you check in to API is the one where you look into a machine with black circles and say which one "pops out". This one seems to be the harder of the two, but NAMI is way better at working with SNA's than OCS medical (NHCNE). I had a buddy that couldn't see anything on the "machine-type" test and the Corpsman let him do the "book-type" test and he passed with flying colors. The key (for me) to the depth perception machine is to not stare at any single circle, but to stare near them and move your head in a circular motion. You may look like an idiot, but I was able to see all of the lines.

Astronauticus

Wow thanks for the info! That "machine-type" test was what messed me up during MEPS. I went and took all the alternative "book-type" tests and passed them all, but I still had to redo the machine-type and passed it the second time. I feel a little better about the physicals now.

mataron

Naval Aviator, VP-46
pilot
Wow thanks for the info! That "machine-type" test was what messed me up during MEPS. I went and took all the alternative "book-type" tests and passed them all, but I still had to redo the machine-type and passed it the second time. I feel a little better about the physicals now.
Exactly what happened to me.