• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Physical Question

ex spook

Hello.

Just looking for some guidance. For as long as I remember, I've wanted to fly. The way life played out, enlisting was my best shot at getting to where I am now (Academy). With that, all I've been doing since graduating high school is working towards putting in my flight package.

What I'm worried about is one thing. I'm pretty skinny for a guy. I'm around 5'8", but my weight on a good day is around 135, it's usually around 130. I've always been a smaller framed person. I've been working on trying to gain a little weight, but is this going to be a factor that can affect my eligibility? Other than that, I have good vision, good hearing, and no arrythmias or anything else like that. I'm trying to get as much ammo as I can when I put in my package, but I feel like this is something that can be an issue.

Any info about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for viewing.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Hello.

Just looking for some guidance. For as long as I remember, I've wanted to fly. The way life played out, enlisting was my best shot at getting to where I am now (Academy). With that, all I've been doing since graduating high school is working towards putting in my flight package.
I'm confused, are you saying you are at the Academy now? Which one?

ex spook

US Merchant Marine Academy.

Sorry to confuse. I meant to say I had enlisted out of high school, as that was the best shot at forward progress for me. From my enlistment I was released early to attend USMMA.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
From the little I have gathered from around here, I think the process for getting a commission in the Navy is a bit different at Kings Point than it is for Navy ROTC and USNA. I know even less about community selection from USMMA. We have a couple alum around here who will know more, but have you asked your upper class? I suspect they would have the latest gouge.

ex spook

I've been trying, but as for physical standards, not many people seem to be on the "up" about it. The officers and upperclass here know a lot about the application process, but from what I can tell, not much in regards to physicals (we don't take them at USMMA, we take them at another Navy location).

From what I can find online on the NAMI website, I don't see much regarding weight standards besides maximums. I do vaguely recall seeing some sort of chart with max and mins listed with heights back when I was enlisted, but I could be wrong about that, it was a few years ago.

As I said, I'm just trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row, and have a backup plan if needed in regards to it.

Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate the responses.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I seriously doubt you are out of standards. You are certainly not too short to commission, and if you are too light, then whatever....drink some beers and put on a 1 pack or hit the gym.....easy fix, much easier than the other way around. If you are worried about anthros for getting a pilot slot, that data is not publicly available for SNA/SNFO hopeful consumption, and you won't find it here either. Suffice to say however, that any anthro issues you might or might not run into will more than likely not be based on being a few pounds underweight. Normally it is things like sitting height, or knee to butt length that get people "anthroed out" of certain airframes. I'm no doc, and I have never worked at NAMI, but my *guess* is that you have as good a shot as anyone does at being just fine.

exNavyOffRec

I seriously doubt you are out of standards. You are certainly not too short to commission, and if you are too light, then whatever....drink some beers and put on a 1 pack or hit the gym.....easy fix, much easier than the other way around. If you are worried about anthros for getting a pilot slot, that data is not publicly available for SNA/SNFO hopeful consumption, and you won't find it here either. Suffice to say however, that any anthro issues you might or might not run into will more than likely not be based on being a few pounds underweight. Normally it is things like sitting height, or knee to butt length that get people "anthroed out" of certain airframes. I'm no doc, and I have never worked at NAMI, but my *guess* is that you have as good a shot as anyone does at being just fine.
NRD's have the anthro data, not for each aircraft but we have the data to determine if a person is out of limits, I have yet to encounter a person that was out of the limits.

ajalali

pilot
heeey man, here's some good news for ya on page 18 of this manual.

CNO says 100-235lbs but if you ride in the NACES, it's 136-213lbs. I do remember hearing there's a waiver for that though but I'm not completely sure! That being said, I know a handful of guys (and gals) that are in flight school with me that are on the lighter end of things and are selecting all platforms. It looks like by the CNO, if you are over 100, you'll be fine until selection out of primary. If you want tailhook, then eat lots of sonic and whataburger. Win-win!

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/folder5/T45/P-1286.PDF

even better:

https://www.netc.navy.mil/nascweb/anthro_/files/Form_Increased Risk Ack_ Ejection fill in.pdf

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I knew a couple folks who signed the seat waiver, both for being under as well as over weight limits. Basically it just says you won't sue the govt/manufacturer if you punch out and break all your bones/hit the stabs/etc

exNavyOffRec

sitting height 32-61"
butt to end of knee length 21.9-28"
butt to end of foot length 36-50"
functional reach 28" min

last info the NRD's were given is seat waivers were no longer going to happen, we had one SNA that would have needed it to go jets and he told us he didn't get it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
last info the NRD's were given is seat waivers were no longer going to happen, we had one SNA that would have needed it to go jets and he told us he didn't get it.

And thus ends the era of women in fighter aviation apparently.....

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
We were told by our command that students in the soon future will not be wavier able at selection for NACES SEAT. But primary makes it easy to put on 5-10 pounds.