• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Package Denial?

stephenKP14

Hey guys. I am currently a rising senior at Kings Point and will be starting my commissioning application for the Navy this fall. My first choice is SNA. I have a had a passion for aviation and flying since a young age and honestly can't see myself in any other designation. I am worried about the competition within my class (class of 2014) for an SNA spot. If I do not receive my first choice, how many more times can I put in for a reconsideration package? Upon graduation, we must either commission with a service or maintain our maritime coast guard licence and accept a reserve commission. What would be the best route to allow me to better my package / keep re-applying for an SNA spot? My current ASTB scores are 5/6/5 -- 50 OAR (hardly any studying) and my GPA is a 3.1. However, this GPA resembles the most difficult major our school offers, electrical and systems engineering. I am not worried about scoring higher on the ASTB. I know this is something I can control and work at to score higher. Overall, I am concerned with the influx of MIDS applying for SNA spots at KP the past couple of years. It doesn't help that my class size is one of the largest in our history :/

I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks.

-Steve

United States Merchant Marine Academy - '14

RiseR 25

Oh boy, I didn't think this happened but you are definitely a special case. I suppose the best thing to do is ask yourself if you didn't commission into the Merchant Marine, what else would you do, is SNA your only choice in the service? GPA is solid, especially being one of the "smart" majors, I would retest the ASTB. My first set of scores were 6/7/7 49 then retest was 7/8/8 55.

stephenKP14

RiseR 25,

I have heard stories of MIDS from my school choose the reservist/merchant mariner route and then later decide to activate their reserve status after spending some time in the merchant industry. This might give me more time to strengthen my package, but I am not entirely sure.

-Steve

RiseR 25

RiseR 25,

I have heard stories of MIDS from my school choose the reservist/merchant mariner route and then later decide to activate their reserve status after spending some time in the merchant industry. This might give me more time to strengthen my package, but I am not entirely sure.

-Steve

Ok, sorry I'm not too familiar with USMMA and how the commissioning process works. Are you considered in the military?

RiseR 25

Ok I think I get it now you have a choice between "5 and dive" or 5 years as a Merchant Marine then serve 8 in a reserve component. Is that inactive reserve (IRR) or an actual reserve unit?

stephenKP14

Yes, I will be applying for SNA fall. From what I have been told, you have the option to be in the "ready reserves" or an actual reserve unit. But yes, you are correct. If you choose the merchant marine route, it is 8 years in a reserve component. The reserve component is in place because we are a federal academy, unlike other state maritime academies.

-Steve

RiseR 25

Yes, I will be applying for SNA fall. From what I have been told, you have the option to be in the "ready reserves" or an actual reserve unit. But yes, you are correct. If you choose the merchant marine route, it is 8 years in a reserve component. The reserve component is in place because we are a federal academy, unlike other state maritime academies.

-Steve

Ok good deal I got it now, thank you. I would say go for SNA as many times as possible, maybe even SNFO if you really want to get into aviation. Just understand that regardless of the service school/commissioning source you are incurring 8 years active for pilot and 6 years active for NFO. Have you thought about Coast Guard aviation?

RiseR 25

FYI based on my knowledge boards for Pilot/NFO/SWO are held quarterly. Next official board date is mid-July, so do the math the one after that is October, then January, and finally March/April time frame.

Ryan Hanna

pilot
How exactly does it work when requesting certain designations? Do yo apply for a specific service (Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force,etc) and then put down something like 1. SNA 2. SNFO etc for the community? Just curious as to how that works. Also, I don't know if you know but when I visited KP the admissions officer stressed how 100% of Mids that request and are qualified for SNA get Naval Aviation slots, any truth to this?