• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

micross

Hi - I've been accepted to OCS Feb 7th as a pilot - and I've heard rumors of people rolling out of flight school on really exotic medical conditions (blood count deficiencies etc).

My questions are:
1) When do you recieve your full flight physical (OCS, API??)

2) Other than eyesight, what do most people roll on?

3) Is there a way to get a full flight physical before going to OCS?

riley

I'm applying to Marine OCC - Class 185 (January 18th 2003). I already took my initial flight physical in August. You should have already taken it, or have it scheduled before OCS. I don't know about the Navy, but that is what I've experienced with the Marines and the same with several friends in the Air Force.

I'd talk to your recruiter more about that - they shouldn't have a problem scheduling a full flight physical for you. When I had mine done they told me that the initial flight physical is the most thorough. After that they only test certain items.

I've heard of guys that are disqualified on counts of eyes, body measurement, and prior medical problems - i.e. surgery.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I also heard that there is a waiver for almost anything, you just have to know how to find it. I think it's true though, because if they only wanted perfect specimens there wouldn't be very many people in flight school.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From my understanding of previous posts on this subject, Navy flight physicals are done during your first couple of days of OCS. You could probably have one scheduled before that (talk to your recruiter) if you wanted, but I don't know. I don't know if the physicals can be performed anywhere besides NAMI. Again, check with your recruiter. Good luck.

buckeyes366

I was a Marine Ch-53 Crew Chief and I have been through many flight physicals. I never heard of a wavier for a flight physical I could be wrong though. Eyesight was the biggest followed by prior surgery. I also remember kidney stones was a year wait. I have also taken a civilan FAA flight physical I would say that it is very close except the dental portion that you go through in the military. You could talk to a Doctor in the Civ world most of them have military backgrounds due to the cost of becoming a doctor. Also to clear up what Riley said you have whats called a long form every fourth year and a short form the other three years so yes the first is more in depth.

Good Luck All

Status
Not open for further replies.