• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt_SNA_USMC

I know C-130 pilots get the most flight time typically. 46s get 1000-1200 hours by the end of their first tour. Jets typically get the fewest of any (like 700 approx). Does anyone know about 53s or hueys? How do pilots in these frames stack up with flight hours after their first tour? Reason being, I'm getting ready to start API and I still have not decided what airframe I want to go for. How much flight time I can expect will play a role in what I want to compete for. Anyone know?

FlyFast

Hey man got my ocs date, nov 15. Good to hear form ya. I'm in Memphis flying a Lear and a Hawker. Have you started flying? Patrick M

HighFlyer55

Q-Ball how do you become a flight instructor after your first tour? (i.e does it go by the amount of hours, type of helicopter ect? I am sure that it is a B-billet that everyone wants, so what would your chances be?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I assume you mean a flight school IP vice one at the FRS. It is really not that hard to get. You can't be a dirtbag, but IP is one of only a few B-billets that company-grade aviators go to. The staples are Amphibious Warfare School (now Expeditionary Warfare School), flt school IP, FRS IP, and FAC. FAC and EWS only take a year, so you still have a chance to do something else before going to the squadron. There are some more exotic options, but you have to actively seek those. To be a flt school IP, you need 750 hours, which you should have anyway; 4 years time-on-station; and a current "overseas control date," which you get by either deploying twice on ship or spending time on Okinawa. Beware that you can't choose HTs or VTs--you take what you get. Corpus Christi is much harder to get than Whiting, also.

Phrogs phorever

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Agree with everything that PhrogDriver said. The one thing that I would note that being an IP is not as career enhancing as say a FAC tour, MEU staff tour, or EWS. Once you get to flight school, you can fly as much as you can sit in the cockpit - all the way up to the NATOPS max of 960 hours a year.

chelu55

Maybe someone can answer this question. Is there a high percentage of people graduating Primary and getting a accepted for jets? My recruiter says it doesnt matter because the military flight instructers expect one to know there sh#$ but military standards not by civilian standards. I have a hard time believing this. Does any one know if this is true? Is it worth spending a few grand on a private pilots licence.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
After my poor attempt at interpreting your post, I'm going to make a wild guess and assume you are asking if getting a PPL will improve your chances of getting a jet slot, even though your recruiter is saying it doesn't matter. I'm going to suggest you look through the recent posts and/or run a search. This is a very active topic and there is a current debate going on as to the benefits of pursuing flight hours pre-flight school.

chelu55

jboomer, Sorry about the typing errors. I did what you recommended and was very helpful. I see what you mean about a big debate. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.