• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Gouge?

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
1. What is the minimum PRT standard for API, Primary, etc.? GOOD-LOW, SAT-MEDIUM or what?

2. Are Prior-Enlisted/STA-21 types who attrite from the flight pipeline getting IRADs too?

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
for those guys of us who are 21: (and up to... 23, I think?)

Sit-ups ::: minimum of 58 and maximum of 105
Push-ups ::: minimum of 47 and maximum of 87
1.5 mile Run ::: minimum of 12 minutes

to note, usually, the API run is done on a "chip trail" with pretty soft ground. Expect a 30 to 50 second slower runtime if you train on a track or concrete.
as for the rest of your question, I dont know... I just wrote down what applied to me in the briefing last week.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
you don't sound too confident of yourself meeting standards...put 100% in and deal with the result...look to max, not to meet the min...

SlickAg

pilot
I think that he'll do what works best for him. In fact, at the inventory the instructors encouraged us to just get the mins and save our energy for the run/swim, since that's what most people fail.

To answer the original question, the standards at API are Good Low for your age. The inventory PRT for API is usually done on the chip trail, but it is up to the instructors whether or not you run it on the track for the real PRT.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
SlickAg said:
I think that he'll do what works best for him. In fact, at the inventory the instructors encouraged us to just get the mins and save our energy for the run/swim, since that's what most people fail.

To answer the original question, the standards at API are Good Low for your age. The inventory PRT for API is usually done on the chip trail, but it is up to the instructors whether or not you run it on the track for the real PRT.

Of course he will do what he thinks will work best for him. As for the instructors encouraging mins so that you don't fail the run/swim...We had 1 person fail the PRT out of about 45 so it shouldn't be that much of an issue. But regardless, my thinking is this, if you focus on the mins then it will get you in that habit pattern and will make flight school MUCH harder for you in the long run. It is possible to get the minimums and still fail out of Primary...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Purdue said:
for those guys of us who are 21: (and up to... 23, I think?)

Sit-ups ::: minimum of 58 and maximum of 105
Push-ups ::: minimum of 47 and maximum of 87
1.5 mile Run ::: minimum of 12 minutes

to note, usually, the API run is done on a "chip trail" with pretty soft ground. Expect a 30 to 50 second slower runtime if you train on a track or concrete.
as for the rest of your question, I dont know... I just wrote down what applied to me in the briefing last week.

I'm just asking the question because it has probably changed, but... Is the induction PRT now dependent on age? For quite some time after I went through, everyone was under the same minimum which was about 12:00, regardless of age. Probably has changed, but figured I'd ask.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Yeah, it is. I want to say its a Good-low based on your age group. I could be wrong on the good-low part, but it is done by age group.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
gatordev said:
I'm just asking the question because it has probably changed, but... Is the induction PRT now dependent on age? For quite some time after I went through, everyone was under the same minimum which was about 12:00, regardless of age. Probably has changed, but figured I'd ask.

Nope, there was one 28 year old guy in the class, and he had like 13:30 or something... and passed. So, its based on age right now.

SnipeDude said:
2. Are Prior-Enlisted/STA-21 types who attrite from the flight pipeline getting IRADs too?

At this time no I do not know of anyone that is simply booted from the Navy for failing flight school. I heard the same thing when I was going through STA-21 last year and looking to select and times are now different. Even during that time period the priors I knew of that attrite were re-classified.

Although I have heard that those who attrite are subject to going to the sandbox to fill IA billets. But you don't receive walking papers.

Don't come into this with the mind set of attrition because it is definitely worth your time and effort if your heart is into flying.

This is just my opinion though, take it for what it's worth to you.:icon_smil

Edit: Also PRT is Good-Low but if you are getting Good-Low on the PRT when you finally start API with a few weeks in A-pool to do nothing but build up your PRT score it shows a lack of commitment on you part. Also if you are getting a Good-Low in this group you are the minority.

Ex Rigger

pilot
At this time no I do not know of anyone that is simply booted from the Navy for failing flight school. I heard the same thing when I was going through STA-21 last year and looking to select and times are now different. Even during that time period the priors I knew of that attrite were re-classified.
I know one who attrited, prior w/ kids over 10 years in and they're not re-designating him. They're also trying to send him to Iraq. He is an outstanding, squared away guy too so it's not like they're punishing him individually. Just the times I guess........If he can't get redesignated he's trying to switch his commission to the Army. Rather go to Iraq with an MOS and some training.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
redmariner97 said:

It's happening alot. You attrite, you go. A small number are getting redesignated.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Thanks for the info everyone.

I am not a minimalist! ...and I have zero problems with the run, in fact, I am training to run a Marathon in July. However, I have always had serious problems with upper body strength. I have been working very hard at pushups for some time now and haven't been able to move past Good-Low, which doesn't leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling if they're separating attrites.

So, again, thanks for the info! I have a wife and a daughter on the way and seven years invested in the Navy so I just want to make an informed decision WRT service selection.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
SlickAg said:
In fact, at the inventory the instructors encouraged us to just get the mins and save our energy for the run/swim, since that's what most people fail.

I have no sympathy for any 20-something male, in the military, who can't run a mile and a half in under 12 minutes. None.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
TurnandBurn55 said:
I have no sympathy for any 20-something male, in the military, who can't run a mile and a half in under 12 minutes. None.

Concur. On the note of attrites, it's a crapshoot. Navy guys are more likely to get the IRAD proverbial boot in the @$$ unless you have something like an engineering degree and you want to go CEC, for example. The marine attrites I've heard about have all stayed in. Most of those guys redez to something else.