• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Contract trouble with ADD/ADHD??

drace

Hey guys, just like most of the people here, especially in this section, I plan on becoming an aviator in the USMC. Anyways, in a drunken haze last night I remember running into someone last night with the same interest. I remembered them saying something about having a hard time getting a flight contract for OCS because they had been diagnosed ADD or ADHD during their early years. Long story short, so was I. Don't remember which of the two it was, but..... does anyone know anything about this? They mentioned that they needed a waiver of some sorts. I'm doing my best to soak up as much information on the subject of becoming a USMC aviator, but have not run across this question in particular.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
I also had to get a waiver for taking Accutane for my acne. It was a ppwk drill but took a long time and the entire time I was on pins and needles as a 23 year-old wondering if I'll ever "get in".

In the end, I'm in (obviously) and my face looks like it's been through a cheese grater and make Edward James Olmos feel like he should be a spokesman for Nozema.

BENDER

pilot
I also had to get a waiver for taking Accutane for my acne. It was a ppwk drill but took a long time and the entire time I was on pins and needles as a 23 year-old wondering if I'll ever "get in".

In the end, I'm in (obviously) and my face looks like it's been through a cheese grater and make Edward James Olmos feel like he should be a spokesman for Nozema.

I took Accutane when I was 14, does it still matter?

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Wow, I took accutane years ago. Nobody ever asked or gave a shit, and its not like is isn't documented in my medical record.

ColdSteel

You can't spell lost without Lt.
If anything this so called ADD (it doesn't exist!) would be a benefit for aviators. Ive been yelled at numerous times by my instructor for concentrating on one thing in the cockpit. "Keep your scan going, keep your scan going..."

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
I took Accutane when I was 14, does it still matter?

When it was called NAMI, they looked at my application where I had put down the list of meds I was taking. The only one was Accutane. There was this big ppwk explosion and my dermatologist has to write a letter my firstie year to get it all together before I selected and got commissioned.

When I was in API, my buddy told them he was allergic to bee stings. WHO ISN'T!?! They NPQ'd him for that... four years SWO and out. I told him to shut up, but he wanted to be "honest".

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor