• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight candidate with injury

edt957

Pro-rec SNA
Hey everyone,
In August I had my flight physical and everything checked out fine, but I was not picked up for occ209, so I'm waiting for the next boards (late July I believe). Anyways, I recently I noticed that I may have an inguinal hernia (going to the doctor tomorrow), and was wondering if this is something I should just have treated immediately or possibly wait for the boards. The only reason I'm asking is I don't want to add a waiver to my application if I don't have to, or if this is even something that requires a waiver. Also, does anyone know if laparoscopic surgery is a better route than traditional hernia surgery. Thanks guys

JEP

Hey everyone,
In August I had my flight physical and everything checked out fine, but I was not picked up for occ209, so I'm waiting for the next boards (late July I believe). Anyways, I recently I noticed that I may have an inguinal hernia (going to the doctor tomorrow), and was wondering if this is something I should just have treated immediately or possibly wait for the boards. The only reason I'm asking is I don't want to add a waiver to my application if I don't have to, or if this is even something that requires a waiver. Also, does anyone know if laparoscopic surgery is a better route than traditional hernia surgery. Thanks guys

Just curious how do you think this happened?

edt957

Pro-rec SNA
I'm pretty much completely convinced it was from work. I work for a construction company and I'm constantly lifting heavy stuff. Moral of the story: stay away from occupations with a high incidence of injury if you plan on joining the Corps.

KBayDog

edt: Get yourself healthy. The Corps thing may/may not ever work out, and you can only control so much of that decision anyway.

However, you've only got one body, and it's got to last you the rest of your life. Take care of it now.

edt957

Pro-rec SNA
I'm realising that military or not, this isn't something that's going to get better on it's own, so I'm just gonna have it fixed. I'm guessing as well I'll have to disclose this right?

JEP

Damn sorry to hear that. I am sure it will get better in time for some board dates. I do some amount of lifting at my job if anything hurts after my lifting it is my tight back because of the all the pull-ups. What do you usually lift? Could it have come from the gym at all?

edt957

Pro-rec SNA
To be honest I'll probably never know exactly what it was, but If I had to guess it would prolly be the bulky equipment we always are hoisting into and out of pickups and utility trucks. You just wanna be careful with anything that focuses on your core (think squats, dead lifts, etc.) and not overstrain yourself while doing them. To be honest tho, for a lot of guys who get the inguinal hernias, they are predisposed to them from a developmental flaw and would get them eventually anyway from even moderate activity. Basically, don't stop exercising for fear of one, just be mindful of proper technique.

jcj

(I am a board certified general surgeon & I fix hernias as part of my practice)

First of all, go see a qualified physician to be sure that inguinal hernia is the correct diagnosis. There are some other (rare) things that can be confused with an inguinal hernia - and are more serious. If you indeed have an inguinal hernia, it is a straightforward and easily fixable problem. What I write below assumes it's an inguinal hernia, which is very common in young men, but do see a qualified physician to be sure.

In young people with inguinal hernias, there is usually a congenital defect that allows the hernia to develop with physical activity. Not everyone with this congenital defect gets a hernia, but if you have it and got a hernia from from lifting at work or weight lifting you would almost certainly have gotten it in military training as well.

If you have an inguinal hernia, you are DQ from all military service until it's fixed. I think there's a waiting period after the repair - maybe 3 months or so (I don't know for sure). Once it's fixed and provided you have normal healing, recovery & no complications, it's not DQ at all - in fact I don't even think it requires a waiver. The MEPS physician will check, and will be able to tell if you have one or if you've had one repaired. So don't even think about lying on your SF 88 (medical history). Again, if you've had one repaired, waited the required time and are healed up normally, you'll be good to go.

Unlike other operations, laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair is not necessarily better than open repair. Both operations are outpatient surgeries, the open repair has a little more early postoperative pain which is easily controlled with moderate strength pain pills. All general surgeons are trained in open hernia repair & it's a straightforward operation with excellent results. Laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair is more difficult to do, requires special additional training and may have a higher recurrence rate. At best, it offers the same result as an open repair, at worst the risk of a recurrence or other complication is higher. You should have a laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair only if your surgeon is very experienced with laparoscopic hernia repairs - it's a more complex operation and has a higher complication rate in the hands of an inexperienced surgeon. Most surgeons recommend laparoscopic repair only with bilateral (both side) hernias or a recurrence of a previously repaired hernia. If it were me, I would have an open repair unless I had bilateral hernias or a recurrence (I did both open and laparoscopic repairs for a long time, I do only open repairs now because I wasn't doing enough laparoscopic repairs to be comfortable that I was keeping my skills up to speed).

If you have other questions about this go ahead and ask, or PM me if you don't want to ask in public.

exNavyOffRec

(I am a board certified general surgeon & I fix hernias as part of my practice)

First of all, go see a qualified physician to be sure that inguinal hernia is the correct diagnosis. There are some other (rare) things that can be confused with an inguinal hernia - and are more serious. If you indeed have an inguinal hernia, it is a straightforward and easily fixable problem. What I write below assumes it's an inguinal hernia, which is very common in young men, but do see a qualified physician to be sure.

In young people with inguinal hernias, there is usually a congenital defect that allows the hernia to develop with physical activity. Not everyone with this congenital defect gets a hernia, but if you have it and got a hernia from from lifting at work or weight lifting you would almost certainly have gotten it in military training as well.

If you have an inguinal hernia, you are DQ from all military service until it's fixed. I think there's a waiting period after the repair - maybe 3 months or so (I don't know for sure). Once it's fixed and provided you have normal healing, recovery & no complications, it's not DQ at all - in fact I don't even think it requires a waiver. The MEPS physician will check, and will be able to tell if you have one or if you've had one repaired. So don't even think about lying on your SF 88 (medical history). Again, if you've had one repaired, waited the required time and are healed up normally, you'll be good to go.

Unlike other operations, laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair is not necessarily better than open repair. Both operations are outpatient surgeries, the open repair has a little more early postoperative pain which is easily controlled with moderate strength pain pills. All general surgeons are trained in open hernia repair & it's a straightforward operation with excellent results. Laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair is more difficult to do, requires special additional training and may have a higher recurrence rate. At best, it offers the same result as an open repair, at worst the risk of a recurrence or other complication is higher. You should have a laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair only if your surgeon is very experienced with laparoscopic hernia repairs - it's a more complex operation and has a higher complication rate in the hands of an inexperienced surgeon. Most surgeons recommend laparoscopic repair only with bilateral (both side) hernias or a recurrence of a previously repaired hernia. If it were me, I would have an open repair unless I had bilateral hernias or a recurrence (I did both open and laparoscopic repairs for a long time, I do only open repairs now because I wasn't doing enough laparoscopic repairs to be comfortable that I was keeping my skills up to speed).

If you have other questions about this go ahead and ask, or PM me if you don't want to ask in public.

N3M required 6 month wait on both of my people that needed hernia surgery.

jcj

N3M required 6 month wait on both of my people that needed hernia surgery.

6 months seems reasonable. I knew there was some standard. Interestingly enough, I developed an inguinal hernia in my senior year of high school (1976-1977) - I was very active playing football, lifting weights, etc & it probably happened in the weight room. Had it fixed on spring break of my senior year (open, no such thing as a lap repair back then) & was good to go for navy enlisted that fall (Navy boot camp, hospital corps school, FMSS, etc).

I was also talking to USMC recruiters at the time and they had a "med rep" program then where I could have enlisted, gone to a USN hospital & had the hernia repair & (if all went well) spent 6 weeks on AD recuperating & then off to boot camp. I'm sure they don't have that now. This was post Vietnam, military was unpopular & they needed pink asses in utilities (OG 107, no camo yet) pretty bad.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I was born with a double (bilateral? I have 2 scars...) hernia and had is repaired when I was like 3 or 4 months old (maybe older). I had no troubles getting through MEPS; on my annual flight phys the flight doc glances over it, usually asks a question about it, and does the standard hernia check. (Usually says something about pulling G's and the very slight possibility of a reinjury followed by a "but if I hasn't happened yet it's most likely not going to happen")

canav08

Final Select SNA OCS 08 July 12
I'm also pro rec for SNA but Navy side of the house.

I had an inguinial hernia repaired about 9 months back and all paperwork cleared through MEPS before I applied to the board.

I'm slightly worried that I have developed on on the opposite side. If that is true, would I loose my pro rec or be told to get fixed, wait 6 mo and class up after that if everything else goes right? Not familiar with how USN would approach something like this but USAF bounced me out of DEP and I lost my slot about 1.5 yrs ago w/them.