• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flat Feet

SJHipple

Hey everyone,

I have flat feet which has led to a bunch of injuries...not helped by overtraining on my part. I've learned the hard way to start running little by little. I bought a pair of arch supports (not the cheap kind, like 250 dollar arch supports) and they've helped alot with arch pain and ankle pain. My guess is that I won't be able to use these during OCS...correct?

Running is hard because the only way to get better at it is...doing it. Just keep chugging.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Yes, you will. They're hard on you, but they don't want you to unnecessarily get hurt, either. My advice, buy two pair so you can have one in your go-fasters and another in your boots so you don't have to switch them as often. You don't often switch boots in midday, but you usually do PT in go-fasters and then switch over to boots. It was a pain in the butt to switch inserts while on line and having the staff yell at us to get dressed faster. And there will be a day you'll forget the inserts if you do the switch routine like I did.

What sort did you get? I had a custom molded pair that my podiatrist made for me... ran me $400, since insurance wouldn't cover them. Solved my shin splints, though. I'm kinda hesitant to go and get another pair and am wondering if any off the shelf or semi-custom inserts would do as well.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Make sure you got shoes designed for motion control as well. Flat footers tend to overpronate.

SJHipple

So they let you? Wow...I'm surprised. How did you go about asking and stuff? I was under the impression that you brought nothing of your own in...you just got all your stuff packed up and they issued you everything. Did you have a prescription for them? Do you think they would've let you keep them if you hadn't hadn't? I didn't get mine from a doctor...the ones I have are from a store called "the Good Feet Store." They aren't like the kind molded to your feet...they actually take the opposite approach and mold your foot to how it's supposed to be. They ran me about $250. Goodfeet.com is the website.

And yeah, I have motion control running shoes.

muc1

I had a pair of orthodics made for high arches. As a result, no more shin splints, no foot pain, and no knee pain. I was told that now that I have arch supports, I do not need a motion control shoe (they're made to control a problem that having a proper arch support corrects). Now I can wear a shoe that has maximum shock absorption. I was tols that most shoes that have ‘motion control’ are made out of two separate materials – one harder to force your foot to ‘roll’ in the proper motion, reducing shock absorption.

When I went through in-processing at OCC, the doc looked them over and said no problem...

stevo01

muc1 said:
I had a pair of orthodics made for high arches. As a result, no more shin splints, no foot pain, and no knee pain. I was told that now that I have arch supports, I do not need a motion control shoe (they're made to control a problem that having a proper arch support corrects). Now I can wear a shoe that has maximum shock absorption. I was tols that most shoes that have ‘motion control’ are made out of two separate materials – one harder to force your foot to ‘roll’ in the proper motion, reducing shock absorption.

When I went through in-processing at OCC, the doc looked them over and said no problem...

this is true. i had motion control after my stress fractures, and after i got orthotics, the correction was to much....So i had to switch over to a neutral shoe so my orthotics would work correctly.

Needless to say, that my feet are feeling better and my Sfx are healing better in the past 2 months than they have in the 5 months without them.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
SJHipple said:
So they let you? Wow...I'm surprised. How did you go about asking and stuff? I was under the impression that you brought nothing of your own in...you just got all your stuff packed up and they issued you everything. Did you have a prescription for them? Do you think they would've let you keep them if you hadn't hadn't?

Well, they were on my feet... :icon_smil

We had plenty of opportunity during in-processing to sort our gear, and all the stuff i took to OCS (like socks and gatorade) i took out of my civvie bag and tossed with my large/small bag issue. You can bring stuff to help and lots of people do; they'll rifle through it during pickup, but so long it's not contraband (food, drugs, etc), they'll let you keep it.