• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flag Officers

Typically, how long does it take from commissioning to make flag officer? About what percent of new ensigns have a chance of making a star? What percent of the entire officer corps are flag officers>

Is it still true that most flag officers are derived from academy graduates?

Thanks.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Typically, how long does it take from commissioning to make flag officer? About what percent of new ensigns have a chance of making a star? What percent of the entire officer corps are flag officers>

It takes roughly 25 years, give or take a few, to usually make Rear Admiral. As for percentages, there are almost 55,000 officers in the Navy but only about 220 Admirals so you do the math.

Is it still true that most flag officers are derived from academy graduates?

I don't know the breakdown but I would hazard a guess that the commissioning source percentages for Admirals is about in line what they are overall.

Last edited:
Ha ha..thanks for all the replies..humorous and all.

Less than 1% of officers are flag rank? I guess that is not all surprising. But, is it really just as difficult to get jets?

And, while we are on the aviation note, are at least some officers now slated for aviation going to fly nothing more than drones? I think this is the case with USAF. If so, do such pilots go through the regular training pipeline for other aviation candidates, assuming some differences for drones? In other words, do they actually get to fly real planes at some point?

Thanks.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Probably not what you want to hear, but it is needed.

Ashton Carter says U.S. military too ‘top heavy,’ aims to cut ranks of generals and admirals

You could combine a combatant command (i.e., AFRICOM) back into EUCOM and that would help.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/apr/5/ash-carter-says-us-military-too-top-heavy-aims-cut/

The other thing to consider is if you get jets out of primary. Currently over 50% of naval (or Navy- can't remember) aviators being winged are rotary but the large majority of aviator flags are fixed wing. We have had that discussion on here before - things might get better for the helicopter bubbas over time - but until drones take over, I doubt if it will be a substantial shift, unlike the Marine Corps - the new Assistant Commandant is a Cobra pilot.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
And, while we are on the aviation note, are at least some officers now slated for aviation going to fly nothing more than drones? I think this is the case with USAF. If so, do such pilots go through the regular training pipeline for other aviation candidates, assuming some differences for drones? In other words, do they actually get to fly real planes at some point?
The U.S. military is moving (although not quickly enough) toward enlisted and warrant officer pilots for RPAs: http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/...ilots-first-time-since-world-war-ii/77490376/

It makes management sense, for a LOT of reasons...
  • RPA pilots don't really need a BA/BS**
  • RPA pilots don't need SERE school, swim quals, parachute training, ejection seat training, etc.
  • RPA pilots can look over their shoulder for questions/direction from the commanding officer in the room
  • RPA pilots don't typically have the same missions (no CAS or troop transport) or ROE as manned aviators - someone else can expand on this
  • RPA pilots can get up and take a bio break or "tap in" a more senior pilot for a more delicate maneuver, as the need arises
  • Enlisted or warrant RPA pilots make a great pool of candidates for mustang aviator officers
  • Officers are way more expensive: both training-wise, plus compensation
** I'd be interested to know if any colleges are offering a degree in remotely operated vehicles.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd be interested to know if any colleges are offering a degree in remotely operated vehicles.

ERAU among others have UAS programs now.

As for the rest of your points...barring obvious ones like not needing swim phys, they're, frankly, assumptions, which is pretty common problem for UAS. There's very little senior leadership who have UAS experience, so they make decisions based on their perception of how they think things work. The trend toward EAVOs isn't because it's a good idea; it's making a virtue out of necessity because the AF hasn't managed or incentivized the community very well for its officers. The Navy doesn't yet have enough robots to worry about it that much.

It is nice to be able to swap out mid-flight when things are dull, i will give you that. Once my Det were all UACs and comfortable with things, we would have two AVOs per flight and only one had to be in the control room during normal flight ops. The other would be preflighting the relief AV and such. Both were on station during launch/recovery.