• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flag List Out

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
There are a lot of year group 81 on the list. I think all the nuke aviation selectees are yg 81. It can take them a bit longer to be eligible because they have to be in the final year of their carrier CO tour.

I see, so it's possible they other guys might be a bit junior?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I see, so it's possible they other guys might be a bit junior?

Non Nuke = 1984

Bio said:
Captain Anthony E. Gaiani, U.S.N.

Captain Tony Gaiani is a native of Lewiston, New York and a 1984 graduate of The Citadel. He was designated a Naval Flight Officer in 1985.

Having completed the F-14 Fleet Replacement Squadron syllabus, Captain Gaiani reported to the VF-102 DIAMONDBACKS, where he deployed to the North Atlantic, Mediterranean, and North Arabian Seas aboard the USS AMERICA (CV-66).

In December 1989, he reported to VF-101 for duty as a flight instructor. While posted to VF-101, he served first as the Tactical Reconnaissance Phase Leader and later became the first FRS STRIKE Phase Leader. He was twice named "RIO Instructor of the Year" and in 1992 was awarded FIGHTERWING ONE Fighter RIO of the Year.

In October 1992, he was assigned to the VF-84 JOLLY ROGERS as a Department Head, while VF-84 was embarked in the USS THEODORE ROOSEVELT (CVN-71). During this tour, he deployed to the Balkans in support of OPERATION DENY FLIGHT and later to southwest Asia in support of OPERATION SOUTHERN WATCH. He was also named a ?Graduate With Distinction? from the US Naval War College through the Non-Resident Seminar Program. While assigned to VF-84, he was awarded the Fred Dillingham Junior Officer Leadership Award.

In October 1995, Captain Gaiani was again assigned to VF-101 GRIM REAPERS, as Maintenance Officer, and in March 1997, completed the course of instruction at the Joint Forces Staff College.

In October 1997, Captain Gaiani was assigned as the Air Warfare Officer to Commander, Striking Forces Southern Europe (STRIKFORSOUTH), based in Naples, Italy. During this assignment, he was responsible for the integration of NATO Carrier forces and TLAM missiles throughout NATO's southern region, assigned throughout the Balkans in support of OPERATION ALLIED FORCE.

In March 2000, he was named a Joint Services Officer. From August 2000 to November 2001, Captain Gaiani served as Executive Officer of VF-213, The BLACKLIONS. In December 2001, he was assigned as Commanding Officer, VF-213, onboard USS CARL VINSON (CVN-70). He participated in the opening rounds of OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM, leading and flying more than 50 strike missions in Afghanistan, beginning with the first night of this campaign.

After a short turnaround, Captain Gaiani led the BLACKLIONS to Iraq in 2003, where he led and flew numerous strike missions in support of OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM, before relinquishing command.

Captain Gaiani was next assigned to NATO as the Chief of Defense Plans, at the Supreme Headquarters of Allied Powers, Europe, in Mons, Belgium, where he served until June 2006.

On July 26, 2006, Captain Gaiani assumed his current position as Commanding Officer, Naval Base Coronado, headquartered at Naval Air Station North Island, California.

He has accumulated over 3000 flight hours and 600 carrier landings. His awards include two Bronze Stars, the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, the Meritorious Service Medal, the Air Medal for valor (two awards), six strike flight Air Medals, the Joint Service Commendation Medal, the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal for valor and four gold stars, the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with two gold stars, and various campaign and unit awards.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Well, I mean come on, I know I could have looked it up myself :D

My first skipper has gone on to bigger and better things, he's the CO of a big deck amphib now and I was trying to figure if this was the year he would be up for it.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I mean come on, I know I could have looked it up myself :D

My first skipper has gone on to bigger and better things, he's the CO of a big deck amphib now and I was trying to figure if this was the year he would be up for it.

Well, you asked the question...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Size" Sizemore (ex-CAG 8) was COS in Djibouti when I was there. Good guy, glad to see he got picked up for his Flag.