• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fitrep discontinuity and O-4 board

qaz123

I'm a still a few years away from my first look, but I noticed on BOL that my very first fitrep (from the 2 months i spent as a stashed Ensign at my ROTC unit) is missing.

Pretty sure I have the paper copy in my records, but I'm on deployment and my stuff is in storage so I can't check. Called the ROTC unit and they destroyed their copy years ago.

What if that copy isn't in my records? Am I completely hosed for promotion? Had a detailer brief the other day and made it sound like fitrep discontinuities are a step away from DUIs and puppy murders.

Do I have any options to fix my screwup if this fitrep is lost to history?

Thanks for any advise.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
shouldn't be a big deal if you have a paper copy. have your admin folks look up the procedures for sending stuff in - its not that bad, I've had to do it with an award. Even if you don't have it in storage I suspect you'll be alright on that one. Once you start getting regular fitreps you don't want to see any gaps of more than an day or two (those can be explained by typos, math errors by admin etc). This advice is just based on my experience - others may have different gouge.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
When you get back from cruise, find the paper copy you have, copy it or scan it, and send it in to Millington. Its not a big deal until your O4 Board.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Every time you lose a FITREP, God kills a kitten.

Do what LSO said. Had the same problem here and got it fixed in days.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Definitely get it fixed, but I offer you all this: I know the party line is that any discontinuity is grounds for rejection by a selection or screen board. I've also had detailers (who work on said boards) say that discontinuities during initial accession or training pipelines are common and not a big deal unless it's for a significant period of time (months). Use that info in your pain vs reward calculus when trying to track down missing FITREPs.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Even if you don't have it in storage I suspect you'll be alright on that one. Once you start getting regular fitreps you don't want to see any gaps

discontinuities during initial accession or training pipelines are common and not a big deal.

I've got two fitreps for the same period of time from two reporting seniors at API...? It was going to be more hassle than it was worth to try to get those resolved. I've been through an O-4 and DH screen board with no problems.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
They won't care and won't even notice. I wouldn't sweat it.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
shouldn't be a big deal if you have a paper copy. have your admin folks look up the procedures for sending stuff in - its not that bad, I've had to do it with an award.

The procedures for sending it in are pretty simple. Call the customer service desk at (901) 874-4881/4882/3313 and they can give you the address to send it to

If the copy you have still has the reporting senior's SSN, just send a copy to NPC. If not, you need to contact the command or reporting senior and have them send in a coopy with the reporting senior's SSN.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I think I remember hearing that NPC formally put out that a 90-day (or less) gap in FITREPs is not considered adverse.
I found an old message that stated that less than a 90 day gap is OK. Anything greater than 90 days will cause the system to flag your record.
A google search for a bunch of different references but this: RECORDERS VERIFY THAT ALL DOCUMENTS INCLUDED IN THE OFFICERS RECORD BELONG TO THAT OFFICER, CHECK THE CONTINUITY OF THE LAST FIVE YEARS OF FITNESS REPORTS, AND UPDATE THE BOL FITREP CONTINUITY TRACKER (AS REQUIRED). GAPS IN FITREP CONTINUITY EXCEEDING 90 DAYS WILL GENERATE AN ERROR REPORT.
Too many folks were spending way too much effort to get in a FITREP that covered a period of a month and the folks at NPC were spending countless hours trying to assist folks getting those fitreps logged into the system.

However at the end of the day, you really don't want to give the board a reason to pass you over.
If you don't have a copy at home then:
1) Get a hold of your old CO. Your old school may have some contact info on him/her. A CO is supposed to keep copies of all the FITREPs they sign. You may be able to get a copy from him/her. Then you mail it into Millington. Problem solved.
2) If that doesn't work, then write a letter to the board to be put in your record. Explain to the board what you were doing to account for the time. Try to get your old school to endorse your letter (they staple another letter on top that says they agree with what you wrote) that will document your time in the Navy. It won't be the same as a FITREP but it will at least show some accounting for the time.
Rule of thumb: If there is anything abnormal in your record, write a letter to the board and explain it. Don't leave it up to the board members to interpret something that is atypical. You never know what they may come up with.

Since you were a stash Ensign, it shouldn't be a big deal (Boards typically only look back 5 years) so they probably won't even notice that you have a hole in your record from more than 5 years back.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I think I remember hearing that NPC formally put out that a 90-day (or less) gap in FITREPs is not considered adverse.
I found an old message that stated that less than a 90 day gap is OK. Anything greater than 90 days will cause the system to flag your record.
A google search for a bunch of different references but this: RECORDERS VERIFY THAT ALL DOCUMENTS INCLUDED IN THE OFFICERS RECORD BELONG TO THAT OFFICER, CHECK THE CONTINUITY OF THE LAST FIVE YEARS OF FITNESS REPORTS, AND UPDATE THE BOL FITREP CONTINUITY TRACKER (AS REQUIRED). GAPS IN FITREP CONTINUITY EXCEEDING 90 DAYS WILL GENERATE AN ERROR REPORT.
Too many folks were spending way too much effort to get in a FITREP that covered a period of a month and the folks at NPC were spending countless hours trying to assist folks getting those fitreps logged into the system.

However at the end of the day, you really don't want to give the board a reason to pass you over.
If you don't have a copy at home then:
1) Get a hold of your old CO. Your old school may have some contact info on him/her. A CO is supposed to keep copies of all the FITREPs they sign. You may be able to get a copy from him/her. Then you mail it into Millington. Problem solved.
2) If that doesn't work, then write a letter to the board to be put in your record. Explain to the board what you were doing to account for the time. Try to get your old school to endorse your letter (they staple another letter on top that says they agree with what you wrote) that will document your time in the Navy. It won't be the same as a FITREP but it will at least show some accounting for the time.
Rule of thumb: If there is anything abnormal in your record, write a letter to the board and explain it. Don't leave it up to the board members to interpret something that is atypical. You never know what they may come up with.

Since you were a stash Ensign, it shouldn't be a big deal (Boards typically only look back 5 years) so they probably won't even notice that you have a hole in your record from more than 5 years back.

Or this:

Attachments

• promotion board fy08 season message (2).pdf
    37.1 KB · Views: 19

Fetus

None
Definitely get it fixed, but I offer you all this: I know the party line is that any discontinuity is grounds for rejection by a selection or screen board. I've also had detailers (who work on said boards) say that discontinuities during initial accession or training pipelines are common and not a big deal unless it's for a significant period of time (months). Use that info in your pain vs reward calculus when trying to track down missing FITREPs.
^^Good advice.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
What if the discontinuity covers multiple evals for over 2 years while you were an E-5 at a ROTC unit in STA-21, and the CAPT reporting senior retired 6 years ago? The Pain factor is obviously high. Any justifying reward?

just a hypothetical scenario, of course

robav8r

None
Contributor
What if the discontinuity covers multiple evals for over 2 years while you were an E-5 at a ROTC unit in STA-21, and the CAPT reporting senior retired 6 years ago? The Pain factor is obviously high. Any justifying reward?

just a hypothetical scenario, of course

What does any of this mean?