• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FITREP Code Words

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Yeah, I fail.
airplanefail.jpg

We now return you to the FITREP thread, already in progress.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
My skipper just got back from the most recent aviation command screen board and debriefed the staff on his take-aways. The question was asked "how much do the words mean? Is it more about the opening sentence and the promotion recommendation at the bottom?" To that he answered a strong opening sentence and the bottom line is what is considered unless one ends up in some sort of tie break situation. In that case it is not unheard of to have fitreps all the way back to the JG days looked at and read.

phrogpilot73

I once got a FITREP where the marks were competitive, and the verbiage said something along the lines of "requires supervision and tends to lose focus on his ground job." I was PISSED (I was going through the Div Lead, TERFI, NSI syllabi and prepping for WTI in that reporting period), and during the debrief (which was done before the CO signed off on it) I aksed my RS to make it adverse so I could attach a statement. He didn't think it was that bad because of the marks. CO apparently agreed with me (or the RS realized what he wrote), because when I got the signed copy - that sentence was gone and instead he lauded my achievements.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
If he had left those statements in, you would have had no problem at all getting it pulled as adverse. My very first report under the new system (back when we were all admonished to use plain and normal remarks) said something like "makes normal mistakes for a junior officer and learns from them" and HQMC advised me to pull it. I didn't (it was a long time ago) and evidently it didn't matter.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It is kind of inconsistent that the whole purpose of the new fitrep system is to give honest, uninflated observations of performance, but we're still playing English Composition 102 to shade the section I work picture. "Good" v. "Great" v. "Exceptional"...etc.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
It is kind of inconsistent that the whole purpose of the new fitrep system is to give honest, uninflated observations of performance, but we're still playing English Composition 102 to shade the section I work picture. "Good" v. "Great" v. "Exceptional"...etc.

It's going to get worse. CMC is coming out with guidance on what you can and can't say with regards to fitrep comments and how they relate to your statistics. If you say "above average", but your profile has the MRO below average. It's going to get kicked back to you for "correction". Same for RO remarks. That sounds well and good, but the statistics are not valid in 99% of the cases, so when the RS and RO try to put their marks in context, it seems incongruent.

For instance: I wrote a fitrep on a Captain whose time in grade was about 6 months. He was doing a good job, and was above average in the squadron amongst his peers (who did not work for me). The problem was that I had previously written 3 reports on Captains. 2 were on the same Marine. All 3 reports were on FRS instructors who were top notch performers, and 2 of those reports were for their promotion to Major.

I could not honestly give the same marks to a guy who had been a Captain for 6 months. So, I wrote in section I "Despite the relative value of this report, Captain Benotz is performing at a level slightly above his peers and I would consider him an above average Marine considering his level of experience", or words to that effect. The point being, I knew he was going to have a RV of 80 (the lowest possible), but I wanted to be clear that this was a byproduct of incomplete data, and not the fault of the MRO.

If I had written that report today it would be kicked back as inaccurate. I would have to say that he is below average, or delete the remark entirely and let the board make their own conclusions.

I'm sure that somebody (probably me) will come up with a sea-lawyered new phrase to get across the same point, but it has become even more of a creative writing contest.

The RVs are most often bullshit and irrelevant statistics with little or no value. Unfortunately, the one tool we have to clarify those numbers and put them in perspective (remarks) is being taken from us. You'd better hope that each board member has a solid grasp on statistical analysis or at least heard of the law of large numbers.

navyterp67

pilot
Funny British FITREPs

So today in my Leadership and Management class for NROTC, the unit XO was lecturing us on not cutting corners when writing FITREPs for our sailors in The Fleet. He brought up some REAL examples of funny comments from British FITREPs, and so I had to google the rest...

"His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of curiosity."

"I would not breed from this Officer."

"This Officer is really not so much of a has-been, but more of a definitely won't-be."

"When she opens her mouth, it seems that this is only to change whichever foot was previously in there."

"He has carried out each and every one of his duties to his entire satisfaction."

"He would be out of his depth in a car park puddle."

"Technically sound, but socially impossible."

"This Officer reminds me very much of a gyroscope - always spinning around at a frantic pace, but not really going anywhere."

"This young lady has delusions of adequacy."

"When he joined my ship, this Officer was something of a granny; since then he has aged considerably."

"This Medical Officer has used my ship to carry his genitals from port to port, and my officers to carry him from bar to bar."

"Since my last report he has reached rock bottom, and has started to dig."

"She sets low personal standards and then consistently fails to achieve them."

"He has the wisdom of youth, and the energy of old age."

"This Officer should go far - and the sooner he starts, the better."

"In my opinion this pilot should not be authorized to fly below 250 feet."

"The only ship I would recommend this man for is citizenship."

"Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a trap."

"This man is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot."

"Only occasionally wets himself under pressure."

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Great stuff! 2 of those the British officer I was at sea with this past summer mentioned he saw on FITREPS.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Repost - but still funny.

Hey, 'tis fitrep season for LTs shortly. I should have use some of these...

MasterBates

What is this "FITREP" and what does this "NOB" mean? :D

(I have been a LT for 3 years. I have 1 FITREP with words on it other than "submitted for continuity purposes only")

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
(I have been a LT for 3 years. I have 1 FITREP with words on it other than "submitted for continuity purposes only")

Being married to a water born mammal and then getting taken to the cleaners by said mammal, and then living in a trailer - supposedly in flight school - what do you expect?

You gotta DO something to get a FITREP that says something. :D:D:D

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Halarious FITREP Coments

Here are a couple of prospects who deserve such pithy comments (RickRoss and AirlinesSuck) - it involves some young men on the receiving end of multiple strafing runs and napalm strikes for the sheer fact that not only are they targets of opportunity in a type III CAS scenario, but they make themselves juicy ones at that.

Others:
"Gates are down, lights are flashing, but the train isn't coming"
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge, he only gargled"
"Got a full 6-pack, but lacks the plastic thingy to hold it all together"
"He's got two brain cells, one is lost and the other is out looking for it"
"If you gave him a penny for his thoughts, you'd get change"
"Takes him two hours to watch 60 minutes"