• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fitness

Vipergallo

I have used the search and was not able to find any of the information so I am hoping you guys would be able to help from personal experience. If there is another thread that you know of that I have not seen just post it and I will look at it. Sorry in advance if my search techniques were flawed.

I will be graduating college in May 2010, 3 week to be more exact. I am meeting with the recruiter next week and plan on attend OCS (hopefully). I am just curious how I should prepare my self physically for OCS and hopefully Flight School. I am 5'10 so to meet weight requirements I should be 182 pounds. Not that it is a problem but I played football in college and am nervous that even if I loss weight I still might not meet the weight requirements due to muscle mass. At this point I weigh 235 pound. I played D-Line so I have plenty of fat to loss.... My question is what routine do you guys recommend for me to get into the proper physical condition for OCS and my future in the Navy?

Thanks in advance
-Chris

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Buy a nutrition book change your diet and stick to it. circuit training, jogging even extended walking is good. any extended period of increased heart rate is good for burning fat. Those 300, spartan, spartcus or what every the youtube video title is work well for getting lean if you stick to them. I found a good one in men's health http://www.menshealth.com/spartacus/workouts/ maybe this.

This is basically what I do, with running. I do normal lifts, because until after summer beach trips I'm keeping what mass I do have. I still drink beer, just don't take part in any late night food.

I'm 6'1" and some change 195lbs. for comparison.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I have used the search and was not able to find any of the information so I am hoping you guys would be able to help from personal experience. If there is another thread that you know of that I have not seen just post it and I will look at it. Sorry in advance if my search techniques were flawed.

I will be graduating college in May 2010, 3 week to be more exact. I am meeting with the recruiter next week and plan on attend OCS (hopefully). I am just curious how I should prepare my self physically for OCS and hopefully Flight School. I am 5'10 so to meet weight requirements I should be 182 pounds. Not that it is a problem but I played football in college and am nervous that even if I loss weight I still might not meet the weight requirements due to muscle mass. At this point I weigh 235 pound. I played D-Line so I have plenty of fat to loss.... My question is what routine do you guys recommend for me to get into the proper physical condition for OCS and my future in the Navy?

Thanks in advance
-Chris

First you shouldn't worry about making the weight standard unless your a completely obese. If you are over the weight standards they will perform the "Rope and Choke." This is the Navy's body fat estimator. If you are looking to be at a pilot then you have to be under 225lbs for the ejection seat which you will be after OCS. Your fitness question has been asked a hundred different times and answered a thousand times so here is some links:

http://www.ocs.navy.mil/pt.asp

http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ocs_faq.asp

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134286

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143097

The first one is related to what I stated previously about body fat and what not. I hope you find what your looking for in the others. These were just a couple of ones I found real quick...

jtmedli

pilot
One Word: Crossfit (the WOD's and the Paleo diet, actually)

Crossfit workouts with some running (12-15 miles a week) will slim you down. Lay off the heavy lifting and go low weight/high reps.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
If you're 5'10" (aka 70") your max weight is 191. Technically it's body fat %, but it's easier to just weigh in under the number. Otherwise you'll get roped and choked.

I was in your same boat a few years ago. I was 5'9" and 265lbs, could barely run a mile. I'm 180 now and just ran the half marathon in Pensacola. There's no magic, it's as simple as eating right and exercising at least 5 times a week. Lay off the weights and focus more on aerobic exercise, running/biking/swimming. Set a running goal, like a 5k/10k. For strength exercises, focus on core strength, curl-ups, and push-ups.

For eating, I can tell you what worked for me. Breakfast every day (big fruit smoothies are good for this). One caffeinated beverage a day, otherwise lots of water. Salads for lunch, no dressing. Keep proteins to chicken or fish as much as possible. Lay off the pasta, rice, breads, sugary things and processed food. Combine that with exercise and you'll be set. There's more that I did that's a bit beyond, but just laying off the cheeseburgers, hamburger helper, mac and cheese, and pizza is a good start.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Contrary to what some posters my think, I would not suggest 'laying off the weights'. While you likely won't be playing footabll at a competitive level again, it doesn't mean you can't lift smartly and in a way which does not encourage building mass.

The best advice so far is below. It's easy and, more importantly, it works.

One Word: Crossfit (the WOD's and the Paleo diet, actually)

Crossfit workouts with some running (12-15 miles a week) will slim you down. Lay off the heavy lifting and go low weight/high reps.

The Paleo Diet; written by a former college athlete and current professor at Colorado State U. He knows his stuff very well.

Lights Out

Another vote for crossfit, never tried the Paleo Diet though.

You could look into crossfitendurance.com as well.

jtmedli

pilot
Contrary to what some posters my think, I would not suggest 'laying off the weights'. While you likely won't be playing footabll at a competitive level again, it doesn't mean you can't lift smartly and in a way which does not encourage building mass.

The best advice so far is below. It's easy and, more importantly, it works.

The Paleo Diet; written by a former college athlete and current professor at Colorado State U. He knows his stuff very well.

Another vote for crossfit, never tried the Paleo Diet though.

You could look into crossfitendurance.com as well.

Put very basically it's a meat and veggies diet, but do the reading and research. It's legit and you actually eat really well on it. I'm no super athlete by any means, but I've managed to get my 1-miler down to 6:30 just by eating right, running (15 miles a week roughly), and doing squats/deadlift/power cleans. I'm actually in the opposite boat from most of you at 5'10" and 150lbs. I need to gain about 10-15lbs.

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Diet-Athletes-Nutritional-Performance/dp/1594860890

midhusker

Discovering my inner nerd-ness
After my team played in a December bowl game my senior year, I was 275 lbs. By the time i graduated in May I weighed 215 lbs. I was a little stressed about the weight loss myself, but I had witnessed the seniors do it every year so i knew it could be done. I read the books "Body For Life" and "Eating For Life" and followed them to a T. I continued to lift weights, did High Intensity Interval training (HIIT) and most importantly changed my diet and quit eating like a football player. Six to seven meals a day of clean food. It is all spelled out in the books i listed above. If you have any questions feel free to PM me and we can talk, or just read those books.

Vipergallo

Thanks for all the great info.

midhusker I will definitely PM you if I have any question.

Thanks again all

-Chris

Grizzly

I agree with everyone about crossfit and maybe melding it with the warning order workout program (it's just like a pushup, pullup, situp and running program.) Anyways I will never know what it would be like to lose that kind of weight I've never been over 180, so I'm sure midhusker offers the best advice, but I wouldn't quit lifting weights you didn't bust your ass getting huge just to lose it all.

Why people should eat carbs, but not the pizza, beer and swiss cake roll ones.

From what I read, correct me if I'm wrong, the paleo "cave man" diet is a lot of fruits and vegetable diet with a little bit of meat and virtually no carbs? However carbs are really important in a diet, just not in excess, especially if someones exercise plan consists of a lot of cardio and intense exercises. Being that carbohydrates produce energy most efficiently (e.g. glycolysis CAC ETC) and it's been proven they help muscle recovery, having post workout out meals with higher carbohydrates as well as proven to help in pre-workout meals, as well as being important to eat more carbs for breakfast which helps with metabolism and is also an important source of energy supply for the brain (Brain takes a lot of carbs). I wouldn't nix carbs but here is the big QUALIFIER just don't eat all high glycemic processed ones. Plus you will hate yourself if you stopped eating them they are so damn tasty.