• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First tour ground job

Pags

N/A
pilot
Are 12 hour days pretty common for most of your career ?
It depends :)

Days when I wasn't flying or playing catch up from flying I'd be at work for 8hrs or so. Days when I was FCFing, planning, or flying a long flight I'd be at work 12+ hrs. Underway and operating? I was busy 14+ hrs a day, but there's not much else to do other than work when you're underway. No fly days underway? Nappy time.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It also depends on your platform. In P-3s, our typical mission flights are 8-10 hrs and can go as long as 14. Add preflight and postflight plus ground job stuff and you're going to be busy, but those flights are pretty rare at home. On deployment, like Pags says, there's nothing else to do and there's really no concept of time/days, you just do. When you're home, the flights are 5 hrs which is still pretty long. If you're new and have little responsibility, you can leave early assuming you're ahead of the PQS curve (always be ahead, never behind) and your ground job is taken care of. Towards the end of my tour, I was getting scheduled 5-6 days a week with a sim or flight a day since I was one of a handful of instructors, plus I was made QAO a month before AMI. But that was during the "potential gov shutdown and loss of hours" timeframe so we were flying non stop and I was pulling 10-12 hr days most days.

Somewhere between these two posts is a best practice for JOs.

Depending on your personal goals, and I admit to finding your take condescending. But there are always the Matthew Mcconaughey folks who have it all figured out. Anyway to each his own and thanks for the best practice.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Depending on your personal goals, and I admit to finding your take condescending. But there are always the Matthew Mcconaughey folks who have it all figured out. Anyway to each his own and thanks for the best practice.
Wasn't intended to be condescending and I wasn't disagreeing with you, it seems that we're both agreement that you should always try to kick ass and take names. I also agree with you to ignore the "too cool for school" crap and that a strong start can go a long way to setting you up for success. I was just saying that not all jobs require 12hrs a day at work; don't be the FNG who thinks their make-work job is that important.

I by no means have it figured out...most of my advice is based on what I wish I had done.

Last edited:
Wasn't intended to be condescending and I wasn't disagreeing with you, it seems that we're both agreement that you should always try to kick ass and take names. I also agree with you to ignore the "too cool for school" crap and that a strong start can go a long way to setting you up for success. I was just saying that not all jobs require 12hrs a day at work; don't be the FNG who thinks their make-work job is that important.

I by no means have it figured out...most of my advice is based on what I wish I had done.

Ha -- cheers. Yeah its a fine line. Its super douchey to think of your self in the terms of those email threads we all get forwarded of Ensign whoever. And to come in making more work (look at me, look at me, look at me) for your DH because you are "in it to win it." On the other hand it is so ridiculously valuable to set the trajectory (hate to use the same word again). Enjoy your weekend.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
So my thoughts.... about to enter the fleet (reenter on a new level) , and I want to give the xo a good a.nswer of what job I want. I have been leaning towards llegal officer. yeah, pretty big bite for first time job, but it is a job I want to do. What I'm thinking is if I can get this shit job I want now, do it, not wait and see if I can. Why? Well I've been on both sides of both ucmj a few times, sending guys to njp/ccp, reading rights, getting njp proceedings against me (later dropped). With that small experience I think that a lot of guys don't get a fare deal. If in my 6 months at that job I can help them / make a change then awesome. aany advice? aalso great insight so far, thanks

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So my thoughts.... about to enter the fleet (reenter on a new level) , and I want to give the xo a good a.nswer of what job I want. I have been leaning towards llegal officer. yeah, pretty big bite for first time job, but it is a job I want to do. What I'm thinking is if I can get this shit job I want now, do it, not wait and see if I can. Why? Well I've been on both sides of both ucmj a few times, sending guys to njp/ccp, reading rights, getting njp proceedings against me (later dropped). With that small experience I think that a lot of guys don't get a fare deal. If in my 6 months at that job I can help them / make a change then awesome. aany advice? aalso great insight so far, thanks

What community are you in? I have never heard of someone getting to pick their FNG job. Did the XO pose the question to you? If not, I would definitely not mention it when you check in.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

346%20-%20horrible%20idea%20office-space.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
IF (?) you've been asked what you want to do and legalo is on the table, the go for it. It's one of the harder boot jobs. Just don't fuck it up.

Also, Legal O isn't a job you want to look at as a way to make a change. You're the CO's legal aide. You make sure the paperwork is in order, everything is done in accordance with the UCMJ, and you liase with the JAG. It's the accused CoC's job to see to it that he gets a good deal (if they feel that's it's warranted) and if the CO feels like listening to them.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
Im a herc guy. As far as ive heard the xo does ask you what job you want. Now is that out of a morbid curiosity or trying to set you up for what you want? I don't know.
And may have stated the 'make a change' comment poorly. Perhaps better to say do the job better than others I've seen.

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
So full of piss and vinegar! Like the others said before you biggest chance to make the kind of changes you'd like to see will be as a div-O or even a branch O. During my Div-O tour I attended more Captains Masts than I would have liked but in all cases the CO and XO took my input on cases that may have gone either way (Granted, along with the CMC and DH). Very rewarding experience to fight for my guys that earned/deserved it and ensure that all got a fair shake whether they were super stars or not. When I was prior enlisted one of the best things I was told is that Chief and Officer uniforms are brown because you should be screening the shit for your people!

81montedriver

pilot
Im a herc guy. As far as ive heard the xo does ask you what job you want. Now is that out of a morbid curiosity or trying to set you up for what you want? I don't know.
And may have stated the 'make a change' comment poorly. Perhaps better to say do the job better than others I've seen.

Legal O definately has it's perks, like having your own office, but having just left a Herc squadron, the Marines keep the Legal O busy. It didn't matter who the Legal O was, he had a full plate. Plus you have to take a month off from flying to go to legal school so guys who check in after you may get qual'd before you.

As far as the XO asking what you want? Maybe maybe not. He's probably going to have an idea of where he needs to send an FNG and from what is available he may give you that option. There is only one Legal O and if he's not deploying any time soon or just got in the billet, expect to work in safety, ops or s-4/6.

As for the original question, my jobs in the squadron were
GSO
NATOPs
ASO
QAO

Each had their pros and cons but QAO was definately most enjoyable and most rewarding.