• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First Time User, How's my Intel Package?

Viking47

Hey- First time user. I have no idea how I stand in my app process, but perhaps someone can give me some status checks:

23 year old male
3.4 Overall PGA, Political Science & Clinical Psychology, 3.7 Major GPA; Concordia College, Minn.
LOR: 3 Profs, incuding dean of students and dept. chair; pastor, employer
4/4/5; 41 OAR, but I am getting ready to take it again (obviously)

Is there a board that meets in every state, or just one big board? I put SWO as my second choice, here's hoping.

Any other things I need to put down? Thanks for any help I get.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Board meets nationally and they are not very regular. You look ok except for the OAR so taking it again is a good idea. Keep us posted.

Viking47

Thanks Barnard- My first choice was intel, second is SWO. Perhaps I should put down supply as a thrd choice so I get in (I can't put in words how badly I want to get in). I found a prof who was an old NFO, so he is adding to my LOR list.

Is there anything a board looks at more closely? I don't know if you know or not- but if an applicant gets turned down for, say, intel (my first choice), what is the primary reason that he is? It is frustrating to me because, unlike college applications, as of now I do not know my chances of getting into intel. Like college I could see how many annual applicants apply, how many get in, and the mean GPA, OAR scores of the ones that get in, etc.

Thanks again for your time and help.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They never say why a guy doesn't get selected unless it is simply for lack of spots. All sorts of reasons otherwise. If you really want to be a Naval Officer then put down three choices. Although you don't have a business background your GPA is quite good. Bring the test score up and Supply will be an option too. There are more opportunities in Supply now then any other community. Good Luck.

EngDir

If you really want to be a Naval Officer then put down three choices.

OK, how about attacking this from a different angle. I'm less concerned about exactly what I do in the reserves, but first and foremost I want to become a Naval Officer and any of the DCO communities would be fine with me. So my question is, where are the best odds? What are the three most likely choices for me?

(My background is BS Electrical Engineering (3.4 GPA). Have worked in satellite communications 16 years as an engineer and now a high level manager.)

Just trying to increase my odds on a short time frame. Getting older every day...

bennett4362

deployment sucks
Thanks Barnard- My first choice was intel, second is SWO. Perhaps I should put down supply as a thrd choice so I get in (I can't put in words how badly I want to get in). I found a prof who was an old NFO, so he is adding to my LOR list.

Is there anything a board looks at more closely? I don't know if you know or not- but if an applicant gets turned down for, say, intel (my first choice), what is the primary reason that he is? It is frustrating to me because, unlike college applications, as of now I do not know my chances of getting into intel. Like college I could see how many annual applicants apply, how many get in, and the mean GPA, OAR scores of the ones that get in, etc.

Thanks again for your time and help.

one of the websites gives you figures from the previous year; the year before my husband applied, only 60 out of 500 intel applicants were selected. of course that will change slightly from year to year, but there's a general idea for you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, how about attacking this from a different angle. I'm less concerned about exactly what I do in the reserves, but first and foremost I want to become a Naval Officer and any of the DCO communities would be fine with me. So my question is, where are the best odds? What are the three most likely choices for me?

(My background is BS Electrical Engineering (3.4 GPA). Have worked in satellite communications 16 years as an engineer and now a high level manager.)

Just trying to increase my odds on a short time frame. Getting older every day...

If you are looking at a DCO spot in the Reserves, then your choices are limited. There may be some Engineering Duty Officer quotas, I don't know. That is the best fit. Crypto/Information Warfare would be reasonable with your sat comm experience. You might also leverage you managment experience into a Supply Officer gig. DCO applications are a diffeerent animal so talk to a Reserve Officer Recruiter ASAP and be wary of some of the active duty type gouge on this site. It may not apply.

Logico

Hey- First time user. I have no idea how I stand in my app process, but perhaps someone can give me some status checks:

23 year old male
3.4 Overall PGA, Political Science & Clinical Psychology, 3.7 Major GPA; Concordia College, Minn.
LOR: 3 Profs, incuding dean of students and dept. chair; pastor, employer
4/4/5; 41 OAR, but I am getting ready to take it again (obviously)

Is there a board that meets in every state, or just one big board? I put SWO as my second choice, here's hoping.

Any other things I need to put down? Thanks for any help I get.

Viking47-- I'm going to copy and paste a post I wrote up awhile ago that you may find helpful.

Here it is:

I am currently in the BDCP program for Intel and will begin OCS in February 2006. For those interested I will briefly summarize how I got accepted and offer some advice for what it is worth.

So-called ‘stats’
OAR = 43
GPA = 3.0
Degree in ‘Philosophy’ from University of Missouri—Kansas City
PT = average score (at least for a 28 year old  )

My OAR was low because I didn’t know about the ASTB.gouge files available here on Airwarriors. So I took the test pretty much with no studying. My recruiter told me that I would have to get higher than that so I studied and re-took the test and got another 43. Like any average, my GPA hides the fact that if you look at my transcript there are several semesters when I began college where I failed a bunch of classes. Recent semesters are all A’s. I made a point in my motivation statement to explain that. It is difficult to know whether my degree in ‘Philosophy’ helped or hurt me since most people (including most of you reading this) have no idea what the field consists of.

On this web-site it seems that people often assess the probability of themselves and others getting accepted into BDCP using these three ‘stats’. This is a big mistake. Look at my stats…they aren’t all that great. So how did I get in?

1. I got VERY STRONG education related letters of recommendation from 4 of my professors.
2. I got VERY STRONG professional letters of recommendation from my previous boss at my previous employer.
3. I got VERY STRONG letters of recommendation relating to my overall character from some fellow employees and friends of the family (one of whom was ex-Navy).
4. My recruiter contacted a Naval Intelligence Officer stationed at an Army War College close to where I live and set up a face to face interview between him and me. I met with LCDR ________ for about 1 ½ hours. It was exactly like a job interview. I was in a tie, resume in hand, list of questions in hand, etc. He gave me an OUTSTANDING recommendation to supplement my package.
5. My recruiter contacted another Naval Intelligence Officer who conducted a 20 minute telephone interview with me. He gave me HIGH recommendations and that further enhanced my package.
6. I included in my motivation statement some examples of some research that I have been doing with some data that was given to me by one of my Political Science professors on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Using this data I constructed a statistical model (regression model for those in the know) linking the number of suicide bombings by Palestinians with the number of Israeli deaths by all attack types. I provided a nice little chart and summary illustrating the model in my motivation statement. I’m sure that having this in my motivation statement made me stand out.
7. I included with my packet a 13 page paper I wrote for a political science class I took on ‘Terrorism and Political Violence’ covering the major theories of repression/rebellion and how to deal with terrorists. I don’t know if they read it but that must have shown them that I am aware of what is going on in the world and have taken courses dealing with social theory.
8. Perhaps most importantly, I worked at an aircraft manufacturer (Learjet) for 4 ½ years as a Quality Analyst. During that time I acquired significant leadership experience, training (e.g. statistical analysis, problem-solving, root-cause analysis, team organization, projects, etc.), as well as practical know-how (e.g. experience using Word, Excel, Access, SQL-based queries, databases in general, web-sites, MINITAB). I am also a member of the American Society for Quality and have attended several training conventions and seminars.
9. I included in my resume any extra curricular activities that I could think of. For instance, I participate in the martial arts and help teach at a school. This shows some leadership as well as the ability to train and progress. Also, I included any of my professional events like when I attended a week long conference put together by the American Society for Quality. I even listed the titles of the one-hour seminars I attended during that conference.

In all, I would say that I spent a significant amount of time on EACH and EVERY part of my packet so that weak sections (like my OAR) would be off-set by strong sections. I don’t have time to go into this but I actually was rejected the first time and fixed what they had a problem with (GPA related) and then re-submitted again. The entire process took me 13 months! You have to be VERY patient and VERY persistent to get into Intel BDCP.

Turnaround Times

1st Submission on September 22, 2003
Got rejected by Intel board December 11, 2003

2nd Submission on May 14, 2004
Received Final Acceptance June 25, 2004

Advice (if it helps anyone): Take EVERY piece of your packet seriously. Make EACH piece as valuable as you can. They are really going to look at your “whole person” not just your OAR, GPA, and degree. Try to get an interview with an Intel Officer (in person if possible). This is particularly true if you are like me and you interview well in person.

I hope this post helps someone.

Thanks.

Viking47

Thank you Logico- I'm really hoping what you're saying is true and I get a spot, I'm retaking the ASTB next week. If I don't get accepted the first time around, you can be sure I will do whatever I can to get in the next time around. After you got rejected the first time, what did you include in your letter, explaining to the board why they should consider you a second time?

Logico

Thank you Logico- I'm really hoping what you're saying is true and I get a spot, I'm retaking the ASTB next week. If I don't get accepted the first time around, you can be sure I will do whatever I can to get in the next time around. After you got rejected the first time, what did you include in your letter, explaining to the board why they should consider you a second time?

When I first went to college I sucked and got a bunch of F's on my transcript. I was pretty immature and didn't have my head on straight. Then, once I got my act together, I went back and re-took each class that I failed one by one and replaced each F with an A. My college has a policy where if somebody screws up like I did they can replace the bad grade for up to 5 classes with the new grade if they retake the class. My transcript from that school even shows this replacement and my GPA showed 3.5. However, the navy intel board didn't recognize that policy and calculated the F's along with the A's (thereby averaging them out to C's) on my transcript. This pushed by cumulative average GPA down below 3.0 and made me not competitive for intel. My recruiter said that the board was impressed with me and that if it weren't for the GPA thing then I would have been in. Actually, I was even pro-rec'd the first time before they discovered the GPA problem. Talk about anguish when I was told that I was in and then denied!

To get my GPA up to the navy's calculated standard I had to attend school full time (while working full time and family) and get 4 more A's.

In my second submission application I included a letter explaining (in a more professional manner) what I just explained to you and then highlighting the fact that I had just raised my GPA with a full-load of A's while at the same time having family commitments (wife and 2 kids) and working full-time. I think the level of dedication must have impressed them.

If you want, I could e-mail you the letter I send for my second packet so that you can see what I said. Just shoot me an e-mail with that request and I'll send it to you.

joe.hatfield@gmail.com

Logico

Here is my reconsideration letter. Much of it has to do with intel-related things but the gist of it answers your question (Viking) about how I addressed the GPA issue during the 2nd attempt.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Reconsideration Letter.doc
    71.5 KB · Views: 123

Viking47

Thanks Logico~
Got your email and post, and read the letter (man, pretty in-depth). Thanks a million for the pointers and help. Hopefully it will not come to a reconsideration, but it's good to have one's options open, and help with those fall-back options. Will keep in touch.

Logico

Thanks Logico~
Got your email and post, and read the letter (man, pretty in-depth). Thanks a million for the pointers and help. Hopefully it will not come to a reconsideration, but it's good to have one's options open, and help with those fall-back options. Will keep in touch.

No problem. The letter is in-depth simply for my purposes of catching their attention for Intel. I'm not sure I would recommend that approach to everyone. It was a gamble to write it up like that and stick in all the techy stuff but it worked.

My advice, for what it is worth, is that if you don't get selected then regroup, address your problems, and put in a really good resubmission package. When I was told I was rejected I thought it was the end of the world. It took me several hours of real depression and then something just snapped and I said...NO! I'm getting in, damn it! They will reward persistance as long as you really are addressing the weak points in your packet.

But...as you said...hopefully it won't come to that. :D