• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First time applying for IW DCO. Need info!

Hello guys this is my very first post.

I am currently a drilling CTN1 Reservist. I have been working towards a commission for the past 10 years. While on active duty I applied for STA-21 but didnt get picked up. Since then, I have been working on school with hopes of applying for DCO. I am finally ready to apply but cant seem to find any info on the boards such as dates, and selection percentages. I dont want to have to rely on my recruiter for everything so if you guys could help point me in the right direction I would really appreciate any help.

Here is a little about my background:

Masters in Information System Security Management
BS in Information System Security
AS in Computer Systems
Certified Ethical Hacker
Security + certified
Network + certified
6 years active duty, 4 years reserves
Duties as LPO and CCC
NEC 9305 Basic Digital Network Analysis
3 years as a Information Assurance Engineer for Northrop Grumman
2 years as a Network Security Engineer for Cricket

I have the DCO checklist and have already ordered official transcripts from my schools. What are the main parts of this package that I should focus my attention on at this point? Where can I find out when the next IW DCO board is and the deadlines for package submission?

I know that all this info can probably be found searching endlessly through these threads but there are so many of them that it feels kind of overwhelming. I just need help getting started.

Thanks in advance guys!

CTN1

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Just a fair word of warning when ordering transcripts-make sure that you get them sent either directly to your recruiter or to someone that is not you so that you can then take them to the recruiter. The first copy of my graduate school transcripts I had sent to my recruiter never made it there and so I took in a copy I had sent to myself at the same time. It was the nice sealed w/signature official transcript. When my recruiter opened it, we saw that because it was sent to me they had stamped in big red letters "Released to Student" across the official transcript thus making it unable to be submitted. There was a bit of a tense time while I was trying to get a non-stamped copy to the recruiter in time for package submission. So, make sure that you get a few official copies sent to your office or a friend so that they won't stamp them like that.

Then again, it could have just been my school that did that. I needed to resupply the recruiter with my undergraduate transcripts as well and the copy that had been sent to me did not have that stamp. So, moral of story is check your transcripts carefully!

Thanks for the info! I know not to open them but I never thought that they might stamp something like that on them.

OHNavy

Truckin'
IW falls within the IDC. Check out the FY13 IDC DCO thread for dates, numbers and other handy background. Have you also considered Intel in addition to IW? Good looking background.

Good luck!

exNavyOffRec

Just a fair word of warning when ordering transcripts-make sure that you get them sent either directly to your recruiter or to someone that is not you so that you can then take them to the recruiter. The first copy of my graduate school transcripts I had sent to my recruiter never made it there and so I took in a copy I had sent to myself at the same time. It was the nice sealed w/signature official transcript. When my recruiter opened it, we saw that because it was sent to me they had stamped in big red letters "Released to Student" across the official transcript thus making it unable to be submitted. There was a bit of a tense time while I was trying to get a non-stamped copy to the recruiter in time for package submission. So, make sure that you get a few official copies sent to your office or a friend so that they won't stamp them like that.

Then again, it could have just been my school that did that. I needed to resupply the recruiter with my undergraduate transcripts as well and the copy that had been sent to me did not have that stamp. So, moral of story is check your transcripts carefully!

If you have the ability to download and print them in the recruiters office that is acceptable per the officer recruiting manual

exNavyOffRec

Hello guys this is my very first post.

I am currently a drilling CTN1 Reservist. I have been working towards a commission for the past 10 years. While on active duty I applied for STA-21 but didnt get picked up. Since then, I have been working on school with hopes of applying for DCO. I am finally ready to apply but cant seem to find any info on the boards such as dates, and selection percentages. I dont want to have to rely on my recruiter for everything so if you guys could help point me in the right direction I would really appreciate any help.

Here is a little about my background:

Masters in Information System Security Management
BS in Information System Security
AS in Computer Systems
Certified Ethical Hacker
Security + certified
Network + certified
6 years active duty, 4 years reserves
Duties as LPO and CCC
NEC 9305 Basic Digital Network Analysis
3 years as a Information Assurance Engineer for Northrop Grumman
2 years as a Network Security Engineer for Cricket

I have the DCO checklist and have already ordered official transcripts from my schools. What are the main parts of this package that I should focus my attention on at this point? Where can I find out when the next IW DCO board is and the deadlines for package submission?

I know that all this info can probably be found searching endlessly through these threads but there are so many of them that it feels kind of overwhelming. I just need help getting started.

Thanks in advance guys!

CTN1

If you meet the age requirements you could also apply for active IW

Alright guys, I need some help... What does it mean when items on the checklist have things like (NC 1131/5) next to them? I am having a hard time trying to determine which items are actually applicable to me.

Renegade One

None
Alright guys, I need some help... What does it mean when items on the checklist have things like (NC 1131/5) next to them? I am having a hard time trying to determine which items are actually applicable to me.
Can't speak to the "numerology" you're encountering...much like I could never really qualify in Morse Code, Flashing Light or Signal Flag hoists, but you surely look like someone we'd like to have "on the team". Work with your OR (or whomever...), keep you chin up, and smile when your picture's being taken. You surely look like a "keeper" to me!

That said, you'd be surprised at how few e-mails I get these days from "Big Navy" that say: "R1...whaddya think about this one?"

I don't know why...

exNavyOffRec

NC stands for Navcruit, it is a NRC generated form.

You should be getting all this from your OR, the above link has many old forms that are no longer used.

If you are not getting this from your OR get a new one, if you haven't asked him ask him!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Be flexible and remember that there is more than one way to skin the cat. IW and IP slots for DCO are extremely difficult, only because the number of selections is low and the number of applicants is high.

If you are selected for Intel or other designator, you can re-designate at a later time after you meet the basic requirements for your initial designator. The re-designation process in the Reserve is continuous and packages are vetted as received.

My recent re-designation package from 1835 Intel to 1825 IP went through in less than a month which, by Navy standards, it pretty darn fast.

Well my OIC and panel interviews are scheduled for this weekend! Now to polish my uniform and try and anticipate all the questions that they might ask. Any advice? I did see some docs on here with sample questions that I am already taking into consideration.

One problem that I am having is that my recruiter says I have to go to MEPS before I submit the package but, MEPS wont see me until I get letters from the offices where I previously had surgery stating that I am fit for duty. This is extremely frustrating because one of the surgeries was a tonselectomy when I was 6, and the other two (Laser Eye Surgery & Deviated Septum Surgery) were done my the Naval Hospital in Norfolk when I lived there 6 years ago. Apparently they didn't not sufficiently document my surgeries in my medical record and MEPS want more info before they will even see me. The upsets me because it is my understanding that it is there responsibility to review my medical current medical status; not to mention the fact that I already serving as a drilling reservist.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
one of the surgeries was a tonselectomy when I was 6,

This surprises me because I also had a tonsillectomy around the same age and even with it on my paperwork MEPS did not ask to see anything on it. They did ask for more information on another 'issue' but not that one.

PenguinGal, did you have to collect a bunch more info on the other issue before MEPS would even see you?

Is anybody else interviewing in Denver this weekend?

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
CTN1Sid, Yup!
Well, it worked out that it wasn't a huge amount of paperwork for the issue (female stuff, lol) so I really only needed results from my last exam showing everything normal and a note from my doctor saying that there is nothing wrong with me. I am lucky enough to be using Tricare Prime here in San Diego which allowed me to go to a non-MTF even on prime. The clinic that I go to was fabulous in getting everything together for me in under 3 hours. My OR told me at about 0700 that the information was needed, by 1200 the paperwork was in his hands. Your experiences may vary.
I did wind up waiting right around 8 weeks for the MEDREAD on that issue to come back. It was one of the most frustrating times. Ask NavyOffRec, I kept pestering him about how long those things should take! My OR told me 1 week, then a couple of weeks, then 3-6 months! I was lucky in that it didn't take near as long as the worst case scenario.