• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First Shore Tour to NPS

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I can't think of a non flying tour that is anything less than career ending - unless you lat xfer.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There may be some OPNAV/numbered Fleet staff gigs that could come with some relatively large summary groups. You've got to ask yourself how much you want to stay in the game and whether or not the pain of a staff job would be worth it to you vs. the education you could use post Navy.

ChuckM

pilot
Only shore tour I can think of that is non flying and career enhancing at the same time is an Aid job. It's supposedly either amazing or miserable depending on how well you hit it off with the Admiral.

Apparently the "sea daddy" aspect only goes so far depending on how much upward mobility the guy you work for has. At a minimum it's an EP from a flag officer and considered to be a pain tour.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't think of a non flying tour that is anything less than career ending - unless you lat xfer.

Only shore tour I can think of that is non flying and career enhancing at the same time is an Aid job.

There are a few other shore tours that are career enhancing to include fellowships and some intern/grad school gigs. They aren't common but are definitely career-enhancing tours.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't call any non-observed tour career enhancing, at least not until you're past O5 command.

squorch2

pilot
Aides selected at 60% - that includes people who did a flying 2nd tour then the aide job.

squorch2

pilot
Caveat: if you go to the weapons school, you *may* get slated to be a Super JO for your 3rd tour. Maybe.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Caveat: if you go to the weapons school, you *may* get slated to be a Super JO for your 3rd tour. Maybe.
I read his question as can you get flying orders after NPS. Going to NPS would, in most communities, preclude getting a patch.

Also I thought that getting a patch mandated a third tour as a Super JO or CAG staff (also flying).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is a super JO tour? A second flying tour after your shore and disassociated?
Yes. On the TACAIR side, it's often, but not exclusively, done to fill the squadron Training Officer billet, which is a patch-wearing senior JO who is for all intents and purposes the lead patch-wearer for the command. The TO is responsible to the head shed for implementing the community weapons and tactics syllabus. They are a major gatekeeper (and hopefully a mentor) for the more junior JOs. Every community has a minimum qual level you are expected to attain in your first tour in order for it to be considered "successful," and for you to be considerable for any followon flying orders, gray jets or TRACOM. The TO's opinion carries great weight here, though ultimately the CO owns the quals.

There are usually a couple other senior O-3s or junior O-4s arcing around depending on how the squadron is manned. Too many senior O-3s can muck up the FITREP 500 for the first tour guys, though, so hopefully BUPERS and the CO work together to keep this from happening or mitigate it if it does.

Pags

N/A
pilot
What is a super JO tour? A second flying tour after your shore and disassociated?
"Super JO" is the term used for orders back to a fleet squadron after a shore tour. Super JO orders would be in lieu of a traditional ship's company disassociated tour. In most cases this job is reserved as a "payback" tour for folks who got their WTI patch while on their shore tour.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn't call any non-observed tour career enhancing, at least not until you're past O5 command.

I knew a few folks who did the 'fellowship' or other special program shore tour after their initial sea tour and all have gone on to bigger and better things. Are they common tours for folks to end up in? No, but they do exist and seem to hold a special cachet for the participants and their chances down the line even today.

BleedGreen

pilot
"Super JO" is the term used for orders back to a fleet squadron after a shore tour. Super JO orders would be in lieu of a traditional ship's company disassociated tour. In most cases this job is reserved as a "payback" tour for folks who got their WTI patch while on their shore tour.
When you say, "payback" for getting their WTI patch, are you implying WTI is a less desirable shore tour? I thought going to WTI was a good deal, is that not the case?