• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First PFA score

TheManInTheBox99

Hello!

I’m currently applying for OCS as a SWO applicant. I’m pretty nervous about the physical aspect of OCS because I am unsure if my current workout regiment is up to par to get me ready for OCS.

I’ve been working out pretty seriously the past 4 ish months lifting, running, and boxing 3-5 times a week and then working a physically demanding food service job on weekends and weeknights.

I’m 23 years old, 5 feet 10 inches tall, 175 lbs with a “skinny fat” build. I just completed a PFA for the first time on my own before my workout and scored a 70-GH.

10:36 1.5 mi run
2:20 Forearm planks
62 push-ups.

I’m hoping to go to OCS by May of 2023, so I have time to get my scores up, but are these scores competitive among those who have just wrapped up at OCS or are getting ready to go into OCS? What can I change to bring my weight down and increase physical performance?

I feel like I can improve my run and push-up score, but the planks are a bit tough.

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• 8FBE0677-8593-4757-BE86-C89F5F81FC1B.png
    8FBE0677-8593-4757-BE86-C89F5F81FC1B.png
    574.1 KB · Views: 31
Hello!

I’m currently applying for OCS as a SWO applicant. I’m pretty nervous about the physical aspect of OCS because I am unsure if my current workout regiment is up to par to get me ready for OCS.

I’ve been working out pretty seriously the past 4 ish months lifting, running, and boxing 3-5 times a week and then working a physically demanding food service job on weekends and weeknights.

I’m 23 years old, 5 feet 10 inches tall, 175 lbs with a “skinny fat” build. I just completed a PFA for the first time on my own before my workout and scored a 70-GH.

62 push-ups.

I’m hoping to go to OCS by May of 2023, so I have time to get my scores up, but are these scores competitive among those who have just wrapped up at OCS or are getting ready to go into OCS? What can I change to bring my weight down and increase physical performance?

I feel like I can improve my run and push-up score, but the planks are a bit tough.

Thanks for any advice!
For the fleet those scores are good enough, realistically you'll want an EL at least so you can be waived from every other PFA. For OCS, from what I've read, you want to go their in peak physical condition. If you're scoring only a GH you need to improve because you will be much more fatigued at OCS than before you leave. I'm at a GH level as well and am aiming for EM-OL before I get to OCS.

For planks I have been doing 5 min-7min of purely planks/core exercises everyday. I recently hit 3:03 on my best plank so far.

As far as your weight, you are within standards without needing to be taped. I personally always get taped and have never failed the BCA (so don't let anyone tell you a tape is a fail). At 5'10 175 you definitely aren't fat but could probably put on more muscle.

Someone on here recently mentioned looking into Manchester United Runs to improve your running. And just keep doing pushups.

TheManInTheBox99

For planks I have been doing 5 min-7min of purely planks/core exercises everyday. I recently hit 3:03 on my best plank so far.
For the fleet those scores are good enough, realistically you'll want an EL at least so you can be waived from every other PFA. For OCS, from what I've read, you want to go their in peak physical condition. If you're scoring only a GH you need to improve because you will be much more fatigued at OCS than before you leave. I'm at a GH level as well and am aiming for EM-OL before I get to OCS.

As far as your weight, you are within standards without needing to be taped. I personally always get taped and have never failed the BCA (so don't let anyone tell you a tape is a fail). At 5'10 175 you definitely aren't fat but could probably put on more muscle.

Someone on here recently mentioned looking into Manchester United Runs to improve your running. And just keep doing pushups.
Thanks for the reply!

I’m definitely working on building muscle. I was 165 when I started working out and I’ve gained about 10 pounds, and I think it’s safe to say around 8 of it is muscle. I’m going to keep up the grind to keep bulking.

As for the planks, I think that incorporating 5-10 minutes of abs at the end of every work out is great advice! What kind of exercises do you do and how do you break up that 5-10 minutes?

What do you mean by scoring EL gets you waived out of other PFAs? If you score EL on the first go at OCS you won’t have to do the other PFAs?

Manchester runs sound really interesting, I’ll find a football or soccer field near me and give those a go! There’s also a good trail by my house with some hills that I’m going to start running at.

Thanks!

TheManInTheBox99

Same with your other post, use the search function to find all the OCS prep needed. Lots of easily accessible info at your disposal.
I made this post at the same time as I made my other post. Since then I’ve been replying to whoever replies to those posts and looking at earlier posts using the search function.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Hello!

62 push-ups.

Thanks for any advice!
You'll be joining the rest of the "skinny fats" of the navy!

You'll be amazed, but with a 10:36, you'll be one of the faster people in your class. Keep it up and work on your core. The physicality of OCS is entirely up to your class team.

Class ahead of me went to the sandpit once a day, sometimes twice a day.
My class went every couple of days.
The class after me went once.

TheManInTheBox99

You'll be joining the rest of the "skinny fats" of the navy!

You'll be amazed, but with a 10:36, you'll be one of the faster people in your class. Keep it up and work on your core.
Hahaha!

I recently ran it again and got 10:06! There’s still time to shave it down! I started running a different trail that has more hills, and though it’s tough, it’s helping me a ton.

Still working on my core. I’ve incorporated a 5 minute ab workout to the end of my workouts. Still hasn’t helped my plank times much, so I might increase the time of the workout or the intensity.