• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First of Navy's new CWO Aviators pin on their wings!

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Well, another tangent but looking at the "Stamps" spreadsheet for Commander Commmand, I think what you do in your first tour may not be as weighted in the future as the sole determining factor up to DH.
There will still be EP's available because of raw pool numbers and those won't be tied to certain jobs anymore.
Look for the recipe to change a little in your first sea tour, but after that it's still Instructor, Dis-A breakout, JPME/Masters, Dh #1/2, Joint/Overseas...yatta yatta

BourneID

pilot
So what are the new O1's-0-3's going to do in the new P-3 concept with Consolidated Maintenance Organization (CMO) and flying CWO's?

The idea is to get flying CWO's to snatch up all the flight hours and free up the JO's to do more time at thier desk jobs and perform more leadership?

Well guess what? With CMO the ground maintenance CWO's will be doing all the Div O jobs, so when will the new pilot JO get to lead anyone? And then they will go on to be a Skipper of a squadron with zero leadership?

It is for this reason I believe this program makes more sense. With fewer Div O jobs around you need these flying CWO's to fill a pilot/NFO slot in a diminished leadership availability community. With less Div O/ Branch O jobs, there will also be less JO's. Granted CMO takes away all Maint jobs, but these guys also have there Dis-Asscoiated tour, Instructor or whatever they end up doing, and DH tour to learn to lead, prior to becoming a CO.

Nose

pilot
Can someone explain CMO to an old guy who fears change, please?

So far I have yet to see a cogent argument as to why we need the flying CWO program...

MasterBates

What its sold as:
"Increased promotion opportunity to leverage our assets in a manner that improves cost-wise readiness while embracing bold change"

What the read deal is:
WO's are cheaper in the long run. Less coin wasted on recurrent training, more bang for the undergrad flight school buck. A 20 year W4 retirement is cheaper than a 20 year O5 retirement.

In short, follow the money.

No ill will to the WOs. Its a good deal for you, and if I was in your shoes I would have taken it too.

BourneID

pilot
Can someone explain CMO to an old guy who fears change, please?

So far I have yet to see a cogent argument as to why we need the flying CWO program...

CMO= Consolidated Maintenance Organization, essentially it organizes all the MAINT departments from all the squadrons on the base, therefore pooling more talent and people, within a central organization to solve MAINT issues. Basically it is a precursor to the civilian MAINt organization that Boeing will provide with the onset of MMA.

As for the argument for the flying CWO, I've got nothing other than what I have already written, if you read the NAVADMIN, someone thought it was a good idea.

Nose

pilot
So what do you do when you go to the ship? Who runs maintenance? CO of the squadron doesn't have his own maintainers? Is the Navy going to go to Contract maintenance in the fleet?

Sounds pretty Air Forceish.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Consolidated maintainence... blue cammies... unpredictable deployments... living in tents...

MOTHER OF GOD, WE'RE TURNING INTO THE AIR FORCE!!!

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Is the Navy going to go to Contract maintenance in the fleet?

You are wiser than you know.
And for those of you who don't think it's possible on the boat, the older guys already know tech reps and P&E teams already float.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What its sold as:
"Increased promotion opportunity to leverage our assets in a manner that improves cost-wise readiness while embracing bold change"

What the read deal is:
WO's are cheaper in the long run. Less coin wasted on recurrent training, more bang for the undergrad flight school buck. A 20 year W4 retirement is cheaper than a 20 year O5 retirement.

In short, follow the money.

No ill will to the WOs. Its a good deal for you, and if I was in your shoes I would have taken it too.

While you may think this is all a big conspiracy to save money, I don't think that it's a primary reason for the new flying CWO program. If that were the case, they would put them in every community. The fact is, they're creating improved DH and command screen opportunities in communities who have historically had less than hopeful prospects for the JOs to advance in their normal career paths.

@ Nose: Does this make sense to you?

Brett

Nose

pilot
IF there are shit-hot P3 JOs that do not promote/screen for DH,
AND this means a P-3 squadron will have fewer 13xx JOs, then I can see the logic. But I doubt that will happen...

"...while embracing bold change." Change isn't always good, even if it is bold.

46Nomad

From the Bupers Website

From the Flying CWO portion of the BUPERS Website; specifically the FAQ's:

· Can URL or RL commissioned officers apply for the Flying CWO Test Program?

Answer: No. At present, the test program is only available to E-5 through E-7; a secondary goal of the program is to offer increased opportunity to the Enlisted ranks, thereby leveraging the inherent diversity and talent among the Navy’s best and brightest Sailors and CPOs. Moreover, it is assumed that junior officers aspire to lead and command.

Doesn't 'FAQ' stand for "FREQUENTLY" Asked Questions?" Perhaps BUPERS' "assumption" is not entirely correct...?