• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First Night Flight!

GMan1976

Banned
Just had my first "night flight" this evening. It was siiiiick! Full moon, pillow-y cloud layer beneath me... up at 15000 feet. Was insane. Totally clear after we got in the MOA. Absolutely beautiful and serene... it was hard to stay focused on BIs when all I wanted to do was stare outside! haha.

Who would have thunk :icon_tong that something as simple as flying on a gorgeous night would be such a morale boost... oh well, I'm sure IPs will find plenty of time to strip that away. ;)

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Who would have thunk :icon_tong that something as simple as flying on a gorgeous night would be such a morale boost... oh well, I'm sure IPs will find plenty of time to strip that away. ;)

That's awesome man, congrat's on your first night flight. Yeah, enjoy these times for what they're worth. Just wait till you do an RI cross-country, coming in for the approach at night at some strange airfield when it's all lit up. Pretty cool looking the first time, at least I thought. Hopefully your IP will be cool and let you sit in the front seat so you get a better view. Good times, good times.:)

DaRevrend

USAF T-34 Stud
Yeah GMan, I was up there too last night and it was gorgeous. I just kept the hood up so I could pretend I was all by myself in the sim again and just fly the profile. I had plenty of time to admire the view on the BI taxi ride home. Either way, pretty cool view huh?

Rev

Junior

pilot
I felt like such a stud on my first BI to be wearing the mask. Who cares that I had no clue what a "GCA" or "penetration" maneuver really were.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I felt like such a stud on my first BI to be wearing the mask.

But did it take you 9000 feet to get said mask on? That always cracks me up to watch the monkey and the football back there, trying to get their mask on. :)

Junior

pilot
But did it take you 9000 feet to get said mask on? That always cracks me up to watch the monkey and the football back there, trying to get their mask on. :)

I think I had it on for taxi. With all the physiology stuff still fresh in my head from API I thought the instant we went through 10k I would go hypoxic if the mask wasn't on.

GMan1976

Banned
Mefesto said:
IIRC your first night flight is a BI... WTF were you doing with the bag down?!?!...

MPTS IV-9 #2: "Syllabus Note. Sorties flown during night conditions may be flown without the hood."

Pugs

Back from the range
None
G-Man,
Whole nother world out there at night and get used to it for you'll see it a bunch! We were off doing a special mission that started about 150 miles off-shore from Atlantic City one night and one of the big comets was coming through (Hale Boppe maybe?) and out there in the darkness the comet and it's tail stretched across the whole canopy. Neat stuff that not many but us see.

MasterBates

Flying at night usually is great.

Landing at night occasionally can suck.

The greatness usually makes up for the occasional sucky approach.

300 NM west of the azores at 0330 with 0% illumination is DAAARRRK

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Even though NVGs are great, unaided night flying is something special. On a nice night, everything just looks cool. The radios are usually quieter--kind of relaxing, actually.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If you ever get jets or E-2's, wait until night traps. Absolutely, positively, not fun what so ever.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Bunk,

Would this be a good reason to advicate COD?

I'll know in ~2-3 weeks if the C2 is in my future...

Up to you bud. I think flying at night around the boat tests you as an aviator. Then again, you're an experienced aviator with nothing to prove, unless you want the challenge. As a tactical guy, you know there will be more to test you than just nights at the boat. As an E-2 bubba, that's probably the biggest challenge. Day carrier landings are relatively easy IMO. I certainly never missed the night program when it went away from the COD community. It does make you a better ball flyer, no doubt.