• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First new Japanese CV!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Haven't seen this posted on here yet, but last month the Japanese launched JDS Izumo (DDH-183). Although the Japanese call it a "helicopter destroyer" and have announced it will carry ASW helos, it's interesting to note that its comparable in size to an LHA/LHD, which means it would have the capability to operate F-35s. Fill the deck with F-35s and you'd have a nice little strike carrier.

As a data point, during OIF the BHR sailed as a harrier carrier and operated with ~24 harriers. 15+ F-35s would be a decent counter argument to the PLANs CV.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
So far Japan is only buying F-35A's.
It would be tough to operate them from a big deck amphib so unless they change their buy, it will stay helos only.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So far Japan is only buying F-35A's.
It would be tough to operate them from a big deck amphib so unless they change their buy, it will stay helos only.
Still very possible. Their commitment is years away. They could change their buy many times over. I am very certain that they have had that discussion. Of course, they have constitutional restrictions, but that can be handled with a simple name/stated mission, as we see with this ship. I expect that if they wanted to switch to Bs they would be encouraged by USMC along with the Italians and Brits as it would lower their unit costs. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they make the switch-a-ro0. Call them land based "Expeditionary Squadrons" and have an unstated navy deployment capability just in case. The difference in cost between As and Bs would be cheap insurance. Their neck of the woods is getting interesting.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haven't seen this posted on here yet, but last month the Japanese launched JDS Izumo (DDH-183). Although the Japanese call it a "helicopter destroyer" and have announced it will carry ASW helos, it's interesting to note that its comparable in size to an LHA/LHD, which means it would have the capability to operate F-35s. Fill the deck with F-35s and you'd have a nice little strike carrier.

Was the deck built to handle them though? If not done done in the original build it would be expensive to mod it and obvious too.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Was the deck built to handle them though? If not done done in the original build it would be expensive to mod it and obvious too.
Our LHDs weren't built to handle F-35s either. There are numerous mods that have to happen to an LHD to allow them to operate the F-35...moving the tram line left and AIMD mods are just part of this.

Will the Japanese need to mod the Izumo to handle F-35s? Sure. But since the deck space is there the ship could support the future growth if the Japanese decided to buy F-35Bs.

I wouldn't expect to see Izumo sailing with F-35s anytime soon, but she could if the Japanese wanted to upgrade this existing ship. Obviously lots of speculation, but when I see 800+ ft of flight deck I start to see a lot of opportunities beyond just ASW helos and HADR.

No one asked me, but after a year of being on an LHD I think they should have just made them as small CVs vice LHDs. Get rid of the space taken up by the ramps, shrink the island a la the CVN and increase the deck space to get a few more aircraft on deck. Get rid of the well deck and the need to operate close to the beach and buy a full length hangar and more fuel storage. While you're going nuts, put an angled deck, some wires, and a two now cats and now you have a RW/TR assault ship that can take a few hornets or F-35s if you want to fight a different kind of fight.

Pags

N/A
pilot
LHD to CVE "Jeep"? The Corps might have an issue with that.
Yeah, I know it doesn't fit into the USMC's dogma/doctrine. But USMC still found plenty of use for a Harrier Carrier during OIF.

I think there'd be a lot of value in separating the AMW and AIR warfare areas from the LHD. Let the LPDs handle the craft and let the LHD operate as a carrier especially now that you have increased wind restrictions with the MV-22. Push the LHD away from the beach, having an 844' long ship filled with 3000 Sailors and Marines 1-2mi off the coast of a contested nation is asking for it.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

No one asked me, but after a year of being on an LHD I think they should have just made them as small CVs vice LHDs. Get rid of the space taken up by the ramps, shrink the island a la the CVN and increase the deck space to get a few more aircraft on deck. Get rid of the well deck and the need to operate close to the beach and buy a full length hangar and more fuel storage. While you're going nuts, put an angled deck, some wires, and a two now cats and now you have a RW/TR assault ship that can take a few hornets or F-35s if you want to fight a different kind of fight.

They are already ditching the well deck on LHA-6+.

danpass

rise, RISE from the depths oh thread ............ any more on the Japanese carriers, uh, helicopter destroyers* and the F-35B?

* which is weird, don't helo shake themselves apart?

_

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The Zumwalt is being advertised as F-35 capable... seems like everyone is jumping on bandwagon.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
""They built this class to be very, very stealthy," Wertheim said. He sees the Navy using the ship in concert with the Marine Corps' new F-35B stealth jets: "It can get really close to provide that support."

'In concert with' and 'provide support' does not mean they are F-35B capable.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Last edited: