• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

first motorcycle

k_smittay

I just picked up an '06 GSXR 750 this weekend. I started out on a kawasaki 636r sportbike, then a Harley Sportster. I've yet to go down (knock on wood), but if I had to do it over again I would have gone with a less powerful first bike. More because it would be more fun starting out rather than having to ride around constantly paranoid of killing yourself.

True. What always made me cringe were the guys who would buy a new first bike.. and the next day talk about picking up knee pucks and heading to the hills. Crazy.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
True. What always made me cringe were the guys who would buy a new first bike.. and the next day talk about picking up knee pucks and heading to the hills. Crazy.

Even worse are the ones that decide they're good enough to go "stunting". Found one who was so good that he didn't even need a helmet. But I also found him with the top half of his head missing . Apparently tree trunks unhelmeted heads don't get along.

Wear your gear.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
My first bike is the one in my profile pic. Anyone want to buy it?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Shnugg..

You missed a great ride on the Shenendoah Skyline Drive today!

shen6992.jpeg

k_smittay

I am not making this up.... I hit an owl on Skyline drive. It was like 11pm and there was NO ONE up there except for me and some friends in the truck behind me. I am driving along, just after the entrance gate and a huge owl flew right in front of my truck and I nailed it going about 25. I get out to see if I killed the thing or not and it is just standing behind my truck staring at me. I stared back at it for a minute and then it just flies off, didn't even seem phased.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I ate it on leaves once. When they're wet they are worse than an oil slick. Fall riding is nice though---nicest time of the year (for riding anyway) in my opinion. Too bad we don't get much of that down here.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
This is what I want to be riding....we just got an opening for a motor officer...just dreaming of course but i'll put my name in the hat...

Electraglide_2.jpg

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I remember starting out riding and seeing touring bikes like the Road Kings and Goldwings and they freaked me out since they look huge. I wouldn't mind trying one now.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I've forgotten what seasons are like after living in SoTx for a year.

Prod

I bought a 96 CBR600 as my first bike at the beginning of August. I've put over 2000 miles on it since. Dropped it twice. Once I was trying to put it in the garage without being mounted on it. The other time was going maybe 5mph making a right turn into a parking lot and there was a pickup coming in the opposite direction in my lane from taking a wide turn. So I stopped it with the wheel at full lock and it fell right over. Both drops were on the same side. Minimal scratching. I'm really happy with the bike, and definitely glad I didn't get something brand new.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
First bike was a 96 Suzuki DR125. Second was an 06 Kawasaki KLR650, now I am on my third. It's a 97 Suzuki GSX-R750 and it absolutely owns the road. I just got back from East Tennessee, where I'm from, and my buddies and I rode US 129 (The Dragon) from Maryville through Deals Gap into Fontana, NC. Moral of the story: If I had bought that gixxer as my first bike a few years ago, I would have killed myself. Ride within your limits.