• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First MH-60R squadron is established!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Too bad CSAR isn't a mission for the HSM squadrons. Hence the question regarding "strike".

In your original post you only mentioned HSC-8. Hence my answer.

EDIT: Misunderstood original post AND got the names mixed up.

1rotorhead

pilot
I don't think you're gonna see many HS guys in the deploying HSM squadrons. The manning for HSC CVN won't change from the current HS manning so letting HS guys go HSM will be rare. Also, the HSM higher-ups have said they don't need any HS bubbas. Kind of unfortunate because there are a lot of guys who want to fly the R (and don't want to move to Norfolk)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I don't think you're gonna see many HS guys in the deploying HSM squadrons. The manning for HSC CVN won't change from the current HS manning so letting HS guys go HSM will be rare. Also, the HSM higher-ups have said they don't need any HS bubbas. Kind of unfortunate because there are a lot of guys who want to fly the R (and don't want to move to Norfolk)

I believe it, but a couple year's ago they were briefing the opposite. They were telling us that we would almost split (maybe 60/40 or something like that) going HSC and HSM. In fact, all the "hot shots" were whining about how bad they wanted to go HSC.

There is no doubt that HS guys have a couple needed skills for those squadrons, it's too bad they aren't "needed" (i.e. wanted).

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
So if flying helos is like nailing the fat girl.... and your flying the Fat Girl of the Seahawk family..... is that like sleeping with the fat girls fatter friend?
Speaking of, did they ever get the GW with a full bag of gas (and no weapons) below 22k?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Just for reference, the next one off the line (166522) weighs about 21,200 with 3 crew, a full bag, no ordnance or bouys, and flir and ALFS installed.

MasterBates

YES!

The 60B often had GW in the 21-22K range with a full bag and no weapons, and performance was marginal when it was really hot (i.e. Gulf)

60R has no more power than the 60B AFAIK

phrogpilot73

YES!

The 60B often had GW in the 21-22K range with a full bag and no weapons, and performance was marginal when it was really hot (i.e. Gulf)

60R has no more power than the 60B AFAIK
For the Phrog full bag and no weapons = 22,400 (roughly), plenty of gravy considering our max gross was 24,300. Performance would be good at that weight too. When close to max gross is when things get dicey...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Too bad CSAR isn't a mission for the HSM squadrons. Hence the question regarding "strike".

What exactly is the definition of "Strike?" I always heard the term "Strike" thrown around going through the various HSL syllabi, but then during an ARP class, I got into it w/ the SWTI teaching and asking how can we be strike when we never actually employ any of our gear except buoys. He came back w/ "we're no a strike platform, where are you getting that." I think my head exploded shortly after that just due to frustration from the whole evolution.

Originally, I understood Strike to reference our ability to attack various targets, be it w/ our Hellfires or w/ other assets in tow. So what's the HS party line?

EDIT: Not trying to have a pissing match, in case it sounds that way. Quite the contrary. I'm just curious on your response.

Just for reference, the next one off the line (166522) weighs about 21,200 with 3 crew, a full bag, no ordnance or bouys, and flir and ALFS installed.

That doesn't seem that bad, relatively speaking. Did they ever increase the Tq limits? I heard that was in the plans to allow for more power. Makes me wonder if there's even a need for C-Power, especially since the Blackhawks don't have it.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I'm still waiting on my auto c-power... if the ECS can kick off automatically when I pull in power, why can't c-power kick in automatically too?

(yes, I know, it's coming in a DECU improvement. but it's still not here.)

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
What a pig of an aircraft. It wouldnt be too bad if they had maybe upgraded the engines like the army and other 60 users did. But then Im sure we would get into transmission issues. Sadly I think alot of that weight is in outdated systems that just got thrown in. ie pneumatic buoy launcher.

SurfTheLine

HS-8 became HSC-8 a few weeks ago.

HSC-8.gif
We only have one Sierra so far, but more are on the way. It is going to be interesting working with an additional Helo squadron (HSM) on the carrier, I assume they will move into the vacant S-3 ready room.