• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First Medal of Honor Awarded to a Living Recipient in the Afghan/Iraq Wars

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
moh said:
“I entered the Army when I was 18, and I’m 25 now — I became a man in the Army,” he said. “That night I learned a lot, and after that night I learned even more. This respect that people are giving to me? This was one moment. In my battalion, I am mediocre at best. This shows how great the rest of them are.”
He's only 25 and he's modest too. I'd like to read the full account when they release it because it sounds like there was more going on.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
He's only 25 and he's modest too. I'd like to read the full account when they release it because it sounds like there was more going on.

Read Sebastian Junger's "War." Good read and goes into detail about this patrol and the operations in the Korengal.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Good on him. Sounds like a great American.

I hope we've reached the proper middle ground on this award, between "none" and "too many." Even adjusting for numbers of casualties received, that there have been no living recipients in nine years of combat ops seemed ridiculous.

I just hope there's no opening the floodgates on this--that the high standards of the modern Medal of Honor are maintained.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
I just hope there's no opening the floodgates on this--that the high standards of the modern Medal of Honor are maintained.

I think the high standards will absolutely be maintained, we will just see more actions deserving of the Medal recognized of soldiers, sailors and Marines who lived to tell the tale. You can't bullshit heroism. People see it a mile away.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Great article in this month's Marine Corps Gazette about the MOH. Nice to see a living hero. If you get a chance to read the article, there is an awesome story about a 1st Lt that may have been deserving of the MOH and lived as well, but was awarded something else (Navy Cross maybe? I'll have to dig it up.)

jtmedli

pilot
Great article in this month's Marine Corps Gazette about the MOH. Nice to see a living hero. If you get a chance to read the article, there is an awesome story about a 1st Lt that may have been deserving of the MOH and lived as well, but was awarded something else (Navy Cross maybe? I'll have to dig it up.)

Capt (now) Brian Chontosh?

D

Deleted member 24525

We should all be proud of this kid...this is great news.

jtmedli

pilot
That is him.

Chontosh is a beast with or without a weapon in his hands.....

http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=3632

I saw that video on youtube a while back. He is a beast of a man.

And Swanee, I'm right there with ya on that one. He definitely deserved the MOH. Anybody who jumps out of a hummer and kills 20+ bad guys single-handedly by using their own damn weapons, more or less, gets my vote.