• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Was in a Total Wine for the first time a month ag0...........it confused and scared me, so I went to the ABC and bought a bottle of Scotch. On a side note, this has probably already been asked and answered, but why no MAD boom on the P-8? Is MAD outdated technology or is it done with different sensors?

They couldn't make it work with without making the aircraft go over budget... And the VP community was willing to sacrifice almost anything to keep that program on track and on budget.

They couldn't get the retractable MAD out far enough to clear the aircrafts own magnetic interference appearently.

And the bar scene is much better as a VP guy on deployment. Boat deployments are lame. The view and the view sucks, the hot water cuts out, there's no perdiem to offset all those stays in 5 star hotels and buying stuff, you have duty every 4th day, there's no booze unless it's a 2 rapidly warming nearly expired cans on a beer day and then there's a 1 in 3 chance you'll have watch anyways, and any time you do find a bar, every body and their brother you wanted to get away from are right there with you...

VP deployments are much better... Unless you get stuck in the desert, then they're only better than the boat.

Short

None
When Im old and I look back at my time in the Navy, I dont think per diem or the lack thereof will loom large in my memory. And if you're a young ensign in the VTs and that factors into your platform selection, enjoy VP land.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They couldn't make it work with without making the aircraft go over budget... And the VP community was willing to sacrifice almost anything to keep that program on track and on budget.

They couldn't get the retractable MAD out far enough to clear the aircrafts own magnetic interference appearently...

Why does the P-8I have one then?

P-8I_Boeing_Indian_Navy.jpg

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Why does the P-8I have one then?

P-8I_Boeing_Indian_Navy.jpg

Off track, off budget was the company line in the late 2000's. I don't know anything about the Indian program. It's possible they paid more, or the software has improved over the last 10-15 years when the base line P-8s were envisioned, or they may not have the same weight concerns without the AAS gear (which drove a lot of seemly random changes, like movement of the Bombay, before they announced the P-8 would get a LSRS follow-on). Maybe we'll see MAD in a later update, which would be nice. Nothing quite like -3 screaming "madman madman madman" to give you the warm fuzzy during ASW.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eh, thought I'd miss having MAD, haven't yet. If you have your shit together, MAD is, like zippy said, just a warm fuzzy. Only time I could see missing it is if all of my launchers completely shit the bed.