• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CavemanOgg said:
Hippo

looks fat and dumb, but prolly pretty tough...

I agree, it looks awsome, especially with those hard points. But who can look at it and not think of its roots "wow, thats one tough 737 passenger plane." although i guess its military roots in whatever the P-3 does are pretty amazing too. it could be the "trojan" (deceiving) although thats already taken.

looks fat and dumb....

"trojan".....uh, NO

Attachments

• cbg.JPG
    cbg.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 99

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
Here's some cool greek names I found:

Hyperion
Minotaur
Pegasus
Perseus
Taurus
Titan

Obviously there's a whole Pantheon :icon_smil to choose from....

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
greek names are cool. I, personally, would like to keep a maritime type name.

maybe Kracken?

how about "Sub Spanker" now that would be cool

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
El Cid said:
How about P-7 Atlas?

More appropriate (if sticking with mythological referrences) Bacchus "god of wine and parties"

P-7 was already the designation for the updated P-3 (first called the P-3G I believe) in the late 80's/early 90's. The military usually does put the same designation on a plane twice, even if it was just a proposal. There are always exceptions though.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
I just looked up this thing and I think my reaction, possibly a common one, would be a good name for the new plane. The "What the f*ck is that?"

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
Flash said:
P-7 was already the designation for the updated P-3 (first called the P-3G I believe) in the late 80's/early 90's. The military usually does put the same designation on a plane twice, even if it was just a proposal. There are always exceptions though.

Good point... then just insert the next appropriate number P-(x) Atlas. Didn't know 7 had been on the boards before. :banghead_

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
if they wait much longer on the replacement, Centurion will have a double meaning!

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I like 'Atlas', it isn't quite "Maritime-ASW-Salty Yankee Air Pirate of the Sea Lanes-Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr" enough for the brass. They want something that has some kind of connotation with ASW, since that is the prmary way we justify our existence (all the other stuff we can do is cool, but they'll always sell the community as 'ASW first'). They'll probably find some obscure sea eagle or something and name it after that. The titan sea god was "Oceanus".....uh, no thanks, I don't need "anus" in my plane's name.....

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Well, I suppose Triton sounds cool and still has not been used before. At least it is better than "Nimrod" (which is a cool looking bird).

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
Zab: Do you think Atlas might work if it was spun like this... "There's no where that a sub can go to hide from an Atlas." -or- "The Atlas is ready to hunt subs around the globe." Sort of silly but isn't that what they go for?

Jolly Roger: Isn't Triton an type of Ford engine? What other meaning does it have?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Atlas just sounds like a name better suited for either a heavy lift aircraft or maybe an AEW or TACAMO type plane.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
how about "WTF is Delta doing with bomb bay doors? Another way to lose our luggage?"

-or-

the P-7 anonymous