• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
MMA Naming

around the squadron I've seen sheets posted up asking squadron members to provide name ideas for the Boeing MMA 737. I don't yet know if the designation will be "P-7" or what, but there are some creative names and i'd like to see what you all think.

already seen:
Per Diem Bus
Orion II (totally gay)
Pelican

I've put up
Poseidon
Airline Transition Platform (ATP for short)

What do you all think?

beau

STJ-8 Retirer. Southwest (airlines) Transition Jet and the 8 for the max number of years the guy will stay in the Navy! and retirer speaks for itself :p

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Zab-Mobile

yeah I wish...no way I'll ever get to fly one of those...rage....

"Poseidon" ALMOST sounds cool...but then I get images of "The Poseidon Adventure", ernest borgnine and all..

somewhere I heard "Trident", but that name's taken...

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
zab1001 said:
yeah I wish...no way I'll ever get to fly one of those...rage....

"Poseidon" ALMOST sounds cool...but then I get images of "The Poseidon Adventure", ernest borgnine and all..

somewhere I heard "Trident", but that name's taken...

Posieden was taken (SLICBM). Maybe Neptune? But some was ass will name it after Uranus.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
"Sea Lord" would be cool...had i not been in corpus...

"Boomer Banger"....?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
well, then it'd be a legacy name, since the original Neptune was the P-2

man i sincerely hope they DO NOT call it Orion II, I think Boeing will want to avoid that anyway, too much of a Lockheed connotation

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
zab1001 said:
well, then it'd be a legacy name, since the original Neptune was the P-2

man i sincerely hope they DO NOT call it Orion II, I think Boeing will want to avoid that anyway, too much of a Lockheed connotation

Then they would avoid Netune, too. The original P-2V Neptune was also made by Lockheed.

Besides Orion II sounds gay.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
How about P-7 Atlas?

More appropriate (if sticking with mythological referrences) Bacchus "god of wine and parties"

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
CavemanOgg said:
Hippo

looks fat and dumb, but prolly pretty tough

Are you kidding me?
:icon_long
She looks sleek, tough and up to date. A bird that is state of the art and more than capable of doing its job! :thumbup_1

CavemanOgg

I agree, it looks awsome, especially with those hard points. But who can look at it and not think of its roots "wow, thats one tough 737 passenger plane." although i guess its military roots in whatever the P-3 does are pretty amazing too. it could be the "trojan" (deceiving) although thats already taken.

how are aircraft usually named? do they take opinions from those serving and flying them? or is it the manufacturer? F-16 pilots use different lingo for it than the official name.... any current Navy planes have nicknames from those who fly them?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CavemanOgg said:
I agree, it looks awsome, especially with those hard points. But who can look at it and not think of its roots "wow, thats one tough 737 passenger plane." although i guess its military roots in whatever the P-3 does are pretty amazing too. it could be the "trojan" (deceiving) although thats already taken.

Where the hell do you think the P-3 came from? A magic new design. It was derived from an airliner as well.