• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
That is a sexy airplane..

And noticeably louder than the P-3! I can't wait when the neighbors realize that the P-8 footprint is getting bigger.... I get enough noise complaints already, now I'm going to get more!!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
P8-2.jpg

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (Aug. 31, 2012

Looks like a 'WarPig' on steroids (WarBoar/WarHog?). Kidding aside, it's actually a beautiful aircraft (not sexy:rolleyes:) , and I think would be fun to fly as a per diem generator!;)

For those with hopes of someday going to A4s' "Big Show", I think loads of P-8 time in your logbook would be very helpful in attaining a front row ticket to the show! :)
BzB

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I will be very interested to see how the pilot retention is in the patrol community in 10 or 15 years.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
And noticeably louder than the P-3! I can't wait when the neighbors realize that the P-8 footprint is getting bigger.... I get enough noise complaints already, now I'm going to get more!!

This is probably not a viable course of action for someone in your position... but it's tempting, isn't it?

MasterBates

Can the noise complaint line be accidentaly forwarded? If so, I have a number that may be hilarious. And its a Jacksonville number..

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
For those with hopes of someday going to A4s' "Big Show", I think loads of P-8 time in your logbook would be very helpful in attaining a front row ticket to the show! :)
BzB

The question will remain - can anyone of 'em get enough PIC / FPT time to be competitive?

JackyB

Here are some minimums from SWA. The question is can you achieve the hour min's in your post winging commitment assuming you fly the P-8?

Certificates/Ratings: U.S. FAA Airline Transport Pilot Certificate. Unrestricted U.S. Type Rating on a B-737 not required for interview, but required for employment1. "B-737 CIRC.APCH.-VMC ONLY" limitation is accepted.

Flight Experience: 2,500 hours total or 1,500 hours Turbine total. Additionally, a minimum of 1,000 hours in Turbine aircraft as the Pilot in Command is required2. Pilot time only in fixed-wing aircraft. This specifically excludes simulator, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO, etc. NO other time is counted.3

2 PIC for this purpose is defined as Captain/Aircraft Commander of record, not simply the sole manipulator of the controls. For military personnel, "Pilot in Command" (PIC) only if you are the Captain/Aircraft Commander, Evaluator, or Instructor Pilot. Primary time will only be considered PIC on a specific aircraft after an individual upgrades to Aircraft Commander in the appropriate aircraft. Time logged as "Other Time" will not be considered.

MasterBates

Recovering LSO, post: 713317 said: <br />The question will remain - can anyone of 'em get enough PIC / FPT time to be competitive?
<br /> Probably not within their first two flying tours.

Unless one of them is an IP tour.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The question will remain - can anyone of 'em get enough PIC / FPT time to be competitive?

Not sure... but I would think that having PIC/FPT in a a military aircraft (P-8) so similar to a modern jet airliner, would make the most competitive of ex-military applicants. As you say, will they be able to log enough quality flight time as we head into much leaner military budgeting times? Hard to say, but I'm sure they're going to want to fly hell out of their new aircraft fleet to justify their investment.:confused:
BzB

MasterBates

Yes, but in my experience in applying for flying jobs post-Navy, the number of FPT/PIC "A" hours that is wanted is tough to make in a single tour if you are not in a single piloted platform.

My experience is a Hornet JO who got out with say 1500 hours, almost all of it PIC stands a far better chance than a E-2/C-2/P-3 with similar total time, but a solid 500 hours short on the PIC hours vs the Hornet guy. It's a straight up numbers thing with do you or don't you have enough hours to apply.

I can't speak to the Hornet RAG, but knowing what guys at the RAG are getting, they'd be hard pressed to make the mins with what guys are getting in a first sea and their shore tour. Fleet to CNATRA IP would have a much better chance hours wise.

Now.. Guys retiring at 20, and having 2500 hours, and 2300 of it in a 737.. Yeah. SWA would be dumb not to hire.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Not sure... but I would think that having PIC/FPT in a a military aircraft (P-8) so similar to a modern jet airliner, would make the most competitive of ex-military applicants. As you say, will they be able to log enough quality flight time as we head into much leaner military budgeting times? Hard to say, but I'm sure they're going to want to fly hell out of their new aircraft fleet to justify their investment.:confused:
BzB
Good points for sure however, historically the single seat (single piloted) guys have done better getting jobs at the "the show" :)rolleyes:) because their flight time, well, it's all employable flight time - PIC/FPT/AC time - every time.

NOT an us -vs- them thing, so save the angst, just the way I've seen it in the brief 12 years I've been paying attention to these things.

"...Now.. Guys retiring at 20, and having 2500 hours, and 2300 of it in a 737.. Yeah. SWA would be dumb not to hire..." <---- that much I'll agree with.

MasterBates

Having flown both single piloted (pre-Navy), and only flying dual piloted (save T-34/T-45 solos/ferrys) in the Navy, I personally do get miffed at the hours thing.. Not so much against the jet guys. It is how it is. It's more how a guy who flew a fuck-ton in a 172 as a CFI can apply and I can't.. Have the total, not the PIC, even neglecting my helo time. (My helo PIC time is about as useful as time playing MS Flight Sim for most flying jobs).