• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First female cap on Herndon

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
If you want to come to a thread in the "Academy" forum and randomly bash USNA, STFU and go somewhere else.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
abc: The fact that it was "awesome" because things are about to stop sucking horribly and start sucking les is the reason it is awesome to go to a real college. The collective "we" are glad we went to a real college because we participated in things that a USNAer could only dream about having the freedom to do on a daily basis. While a moment like Herndon seems awesome, lets examine why it was awesome...mainly that things we so bad for you that you need cause to celebrate moving on. And moving on to what? 3.....more....years.....of being restricted in your day to day life.

And how do you know all of this if you never went to Annapolis?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@ gumbi: essentially, you commenting on life at usna is like me commenting on flying harriers in the Marine Corps.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blah, blah, "I went to real college, you Academy guys are stoopid, Herndon is Freudian, yay me ROTC guy". We get it, you're cool, we're arrogant ring-knockers. Who the fuck asked you? Now move along.

Wonder if things have changed around the Chesapeake Klown Kollege re: letting girls get to the top of Herndon. There's usually Official Rumblings from the Dant's office about beatings for anyone seen pulling girls down during the climb. We got pulled aside by a 2/c in my company on our way to Herndon who said he'd personally kick all of our asses if we let a girl get to the top. The wisdom of 20-year-olds...so impressive at the time, so retarded in hindsight.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't see anyone this year pulling girls down like they did my year. Kind of a moot point, because they didn't get close enough to the top for anyone except the 6'5" guy that put the cover on to reach.

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
Several years ago when I sat in plebe leadership, our prof (one of those 'cooler' officers who went to ROTC and thus didn't understand herndon at all) once asked us about herndon and if any females had ever been "the one." When the majority of the class subsequently gave the rather textbook answer "doesn't matter if you're a guy or girl, as long as we can do it as quickly as possible," one prior marine offered a radical solution: "that only male plebes participate in herndon, and only female plebes try the same task on the mexican monument. Why? Because the mexican monument is shorter and has shelves to assist tired participants." Needless to say, the entire class of 18-20 year olds thought that was just the funniest thing. Also hilarious was the look on the LT's face, he was speechless. To this day I have never forgotten either.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I always thought Herndon was one of the better traditions (or events I should say) that the Academy has every year. Whether it takes minutes or hours, it always great to see savage mids trying to make it to the top and to show tribute to the fallen mid this year by placing her cover was pretty sweet.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who ends up cleaning the memorial after festivities are over?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Who cleans?

The groundskeepers do it. You know, the ones every mid pays $30 a month from his/her paycheck.

Although I must say, they clean it up fast. They scoop up all the shoes and they go to a local charity (they got to mine before I could get to them to put them back on), and they use a bulldozer to get all the whiteworks. A few pressure washers handle all the lard (which apparently was in a diminished quantity this year. . .wtf?). Takes them 2 hours tops. Last year, they even had it re-sodded the same day. Get what you pay for I guess.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I didn't see anyone this year pulling girls down like they did my year. Kind of a moot point, because they didn't get close enough to the top for anyone except the 6'5" guy that put the cover on to reach.

ROTC guy...not trying to talk smack or anything...just not understanding. Is it supposed to be a cooperative effort or a competitive one? I see guys making a human ladder, so it seems there's an element of cooperation involved, but then you're talking about pulling women down. It would seem that pushing a 110 lb person up would be a much easier task than someone bigger.