• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First choice schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
Can someone give me an idea of how many of you and those you know were not able to go to your first choice college?

Hubby is going nuke option, so he's got a short list of schools from which to choose. We looked at schools and thought we had everything set as far as his top 3 choices. His #1 choice is UNM, he's already sent his application in, and hopefully he'll get in and this thread will be pointless. He went to a briefing yesterday, and found that Oregon State (#2) has 15 slots for STA selectees, and there are more than that many people from here (have no idea about those in NY) who want to go there, so that's out. U of SC (#3) only takes people if USC is your first choice, so again, that's out.

He is going to talk to one of the ensigns on his crew who went to one of the other nuke option school to get some basic info about that school today, and somehow we're going to figure out what hubby's back up school will be tonight, and apply online.

He has already talked to somebody at UNM, and he got the name of someone else to talk to, so I guess he'll be calling him tonight, as well.

So, back to the original question- do many people not get into their first choice schools?

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
From my experiences(prior nuke....Fleet to ROTC input ,prior to the STA program coming online) as long as you get accepted into you school the Navy is pretty good at putting you where you want to go. A word of warning though, apply to several schools. When I was applying there was this nasty rumor going around of a guy getting picked up for a commisioning program and not getting accepted to any schools....just a rumor I heard, but it would be in your best interest to apply to several schools just to CYA for the worst case scenario.

Best of luck to you and you hubby.......you should apply to school right now as well if you haven't gone already. I knew several couples at my unit that were pursuing their degree at the same time (just a thought, not trying to seem super pushy) and it kept the wife from going crazy, and let them spend a little more time together (I know that sounds wierd, but when you both are going to classes everyday you might have more oppurtunites for lunch dates etc. etc.)

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
The briefing included, no doubt, the same info I heard. USC is not a second choice, since not all who try will get it as a first choice. There were two other schools with that distinction, and I can't remember what they were. Apply to at least two schools, three or more is strongly recommended. There was at least 3 people in NY who want Oregon State. It is a popular one. Turns out the school I want (SUNY Maritime College) isn't so limiting, so I shouldn't have any trouble.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Unless the STA-21 instructions have changed (and they may have, since I got selected for STA-21 '02), those 3 choices that hubby put on his STA app do not "lock him in" to any of those 3. If the program still works the same, and if for any reason he can't get to any of those 3 choices, NSTC will put him in whatever school he gets accepted to. They won't pull his selection so long as he gets accepted to an approved university. Those choices were primarily to get you started on the road to collegiate admissions. So like Pcola said above, apply to MANY schools. Don't hedge your bets. I suggest you dig out the most recent STA-21 instruction to see what it says about this. Don't take the CCC's word for it--read it yourself. He can also contact NSTC directly to get this clarified.
Good luck to you both.
(Oh and by the way, does hubby ever post on here? I just seem to see you posting on his behalf alot. ;) )

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
nfo2b said:
(Oh and by the way, does hubby ever post on here? I just seem to see you posting on his behalf alot. ;) )

LOL, oh, so you noticed who wears the pants around here?? ;) Just kidding. Well...sorta...okay, I do let him decide what's for dinner...sometimes. :)

No, he hasn't posted on here yet, though he'll sometimes come on and read. Right now, we're living the fun that is staff pick-up at NPTU, so I'm the one with more free time (between diaper changes and episodes of Elmo's World) to come on here and ask questions.

As of now, he's applied to UNM and to Utah, and one of the community colleges he attended is taking it's good sweet time in mailing his transcripts.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
I was staff pick up before finding out I was selected for STA 21, so they gave my SPU to someone else. I guess that was to cover them, but it also kinda screws me if things don't work out for STA for some crazy reason. Oh well.

NukeWife

Smiling like I mean it
etnuclearsailor said:
I was staff pick up before finding out I was selected for STA 21, so they gave my SPU to someone else. I guess that was to cover them, but it also kinda screws me if things don't work out for STA for some crazy reason. Oh well.

He didn't have a problem getting/staying as a SPU, but then again, they are really hurting for MMs here, so that might have played into it. I know that the other STA applicants (who didn't get SPU) were stuck here on hold doing office work or whatever until the results came out.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the shore duty, especially since we have a 29 month old and an 8 month old, so every bit of help is more than appreciated. But I just don't get how, if given a choice between shore duty stations, that anyone would pick staff at NPTU. Now instructor duty at A School/Power School would be sweet- I'd love if he had that schedule sometime.

Oh, well, the Navy has been good to us thus far, actually much better than good with Kris getting selected for STA, so I can't really complain too much. :icon_bigg

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Being a SPU can be a huge career booster for a nuke. Nearly any 8 year Chief I've met was a SPU that kept running hot after leaving instructor duty. It makes the entire future career that much easier on the sailor. I kinda wish they hadn't given my spot away, but at the same time, I'm supposed to leave a month after my instructor quals were due to be complete. I guess they didn't see the point in spending a month in qualifying me to get a month out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.