• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Firing a mortar from the hip (file under stupid human tricks)

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
You gotta be F-ing kidding me! The Marine Corps calls firing the 224 with the M8 baseplate "hip-shooting" but it's not ACTUALLY hip-shooting.

I hope he burnt his hand and broke his eye-pro...F'ing tool.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Something about Marines and mortars - very reminiscient of the Marine's initial experience with Japanese knee mortars in the Pacific in WWII:

knee_mortar.jpg

Marines saw the curved base plate, and figured you actually fired it while kneeling on one knee, with the base plate on your extended thigh. :eek: The rash of broken femurs quickly corrected that misperception....

http://members.shaw.ca/nambuworld/t89pix.htm for some good pics from the original manual.

Zissou

Banned
Well you guys would hate SOF employment of the 60mm mortar. There are 18B's who can put HE on target, first round, with no base. And they sling Ilum on the fly just like this kid did.

He is a stupid bastard for videoing it, and stupider for letting it get loose.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Whats so hard about setting it on the ground, though? And why not have a base? It only weighs 4 lbs! The motard in the video even has the base on when he fires it. Most Marine 0341s are more accurate with the little base than the big one with a bipod and sights. I don't see a plausible need to employ this weapon system like this in combat much less train to it.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Testosterone, boredome (curious mind), and things that go BOOM or wicked FAST provoke young invincible clowns like this (us) to do the things they do... good lord, Ive done many similar stupid things wwwwaaaay outside the rulebook for employment... lived to tell bout it, so guess Im lucky, or semi-skilled... remains to be seen.

The kids alive, pee pee shwackin is probably inbound, vid gave me a giggle and I guess promotes the problem.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
should have put it up to his shoulder like a real redneck would've - wimp

When the Lt is away the PFCs will play