• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Finally...final select!

I finally got the word about my final select for NFO! It only took a year and a half from the first application, three application submissions, and three takes of the ASTB (lesson: don't retake the ASTB if you've got good scores already...).

Well, I guess that just shows what determination will do for you...

My OCS date is 30 JUN 2007. Should I expect this date to be pushed back much? Thanks

Stats if you're interested:

3.65 Computer Science, University of Nevada
58 7/7/8
LORs from two retired AF JAG officers and my flight instructor
PPL, 130 hours

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
congrats. Enjoy the BDCP benefits now, because the Navy's a good deal until you get to the boat ;)

Cornellianintel

Congrats, man. You should share with people who are feeling a little disenchanted with the process. Perseverance really does pay off.

Best,
Chris

bwildcat

Congrats man! I don't know for sure but I think that my OCS date may be the same as yours! Or I may be the next class after you. Did you apply for pilot at all or just NFO? Those scores would have been in the running for a pilot spot!

Hey ThisGuy, that is a pretty sweet picture! Did you get that off of Facebook?

Yeah, I applied for both Pilot and NFO but only got accepted for NFO (and only after the third application!). I'm not disappointed at all about the NFO slot, I would have been equally happy with SNA.

As far as the long road of the application process went, it went something like this:

Summer 2004 took ASTB for the first time, got a 57 6/6/7

Got all my LORs together, filled out the personal statement, and submitted my first app.

About three weeks later I got my rejection letter in the mail.

Fall 2004 took the ASTB again, scored a 47 (ack!)

Waited three months, took it again, and finally scored my 58 7/7/8.

Had my LORs re-dated since they were now more than 6 mo. old

Submitted my application, along with my "re-submittal letter," in April 2005.

Got the second rejection letter in the mail.

Re-dated my LORs again (really annoying to have to ask people to re-sign these all the time)

Submitted my third app in Sept 2005, heard back about Pro-Rec for NFO around Oct 2005.

Went to MEPS, took PRT

Submitted FINDOCS Dec 2005

Heard about final select NFO 26 JAN 2006.

So anyway, for me it took forever to get it all done...your mileage may vary. Just keep trying, you'll get in eventually if you do. My mentality when I was applying was "I'm going to get in, I'm just not sure when." I swear it seems like they deny everybody the first time just to see if they really want it. Keep trying and you'll get it.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Congrats man, your work has definitely paid off. Did you get a tentative OCS date?

batman527

Banned
Congrats, I'm set to find out in the next two weeks if I'm off to to USMC Platoon Leadership Class. Wish me luck!

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
bwildcat said:
Hey ThisGuy, that is a pretty sweet picture! Did you get that off of Facebook?

Nah, I ripped it from an FSU message board my friend sent me (had I known there were girls like this at Florida State, I would have considered applying out of high school, but that's neither here nor there...0

Yeah, my OCS date is 30 JUN 2007. I've read that a lot of people get this date pushed back quite a bit...should I expect to actually get to OCS in June or will it be much later than that?

Well, first check out this site: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/noru/orojt/generalofficer.htm#1

Then read the postings under the BDCP board, there are a lot of good threads to read.

But to answer your questions quickly, you apply for a BDCP position while you are in college, as long as you are more than one semester away from graduation. When you apply, you select up to three designator choices (ie pilot, nfo, supply, etc). You will either be accepted or rejected for those choices, so you either get in with what you want or you don't.

bbell

Well, after nearly 4 years of pursuit, I finally received my final select today for Information Warfafe BDCP.

Age at submission:33, 34 now.

Education: (Jr.) BS in Information Systems from LSU, GPA:3.6

ASTB: 51/6/7/5

Work Experience: Full time computer network analyst at LSU last 5.5
years.

Military Experience: Prior Navy Electronics Tech. Second Class Petty
Officer (E-5), active duty from 92-98.

Awards: Navy and Marine Corps. Achievement Medal, Good Conduct
Medal, Flag LOC for Sailor of the Quarter (Battle Group),
LOC for Jr. Sailor of the Quarter (Command), LOA for
peer tudor while in A school. Member of Honor Societies:
Gamma Beta Phi and Omega Rho. Dean's list last 3 semesters.

LOR's: Chancellor of LSU (Former SECNAV), Instructor (Retired Navy
Commander, Supply), Friend (Major in Air Force), Friend (LT. in
reserves, Intel).

Interview: Intel LT. - All 10's with a solid write-up.

I received a Pro-Rec(3rd application) at the end of July. If there was anything that could have gone wrong and caused a delay, it did. From having my medical records held hostage for 2 months on the base at Bellechasse due to hurricane Katrina, needing a medical wavier, and taking over a month to figure out that my fingerprint card was lost in the mail and having to resubmit another one, etc....

Moral of the story: If you REALLY want this, do not take no for an answer!

Congrats on your final selection, now you finally get to swear in. I just did yesterday...be sure to wear something nice so you don't look stupid in front of your enlistment officer and OSO who will be in their dress uniforms.

How much school do you have left? Enjoy the BDCP pay!

joeflys

Congratulations! I am just starting the application process. I have one semester left of college, and hope that i can get things going quicker. We will see!

twidget

Deskaholic
bbell said:
Well, after nearly 4 years of pursuit, I finally received my final select today for Information Warfafe BDCP.

Age at submission:33, 34 now.

Military Experience: Prior Navy Electronics Tech. Second Class Petty
Officer (E-5), active duty from 92-98.

Awards: Navy and Marine Corps. Achievement Medal, Good Conduct
Medal, LOA for peer tudor while in A school.

Moral of the story: If you REALLY want this, do not take no for an answer!

Congrats, and welcome to the Ultra-Exclusive Prior ET-to-IW Club!!!:D

I came in in '91, was 33 (almost 34) when I got commissioned as an IW, and was a peer tutor (tudor is a house I think). If you were stationed on an FFG in San Diego, then I think you're just a copy-cat.;)