• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

SWOMan

Iifym is amazing....especially for guys without goddess cooks. Me and Chipotle making gains together.

Nah not a lot of weighted anything these days

SWOMan

Iifym is amazing....especially for guys without goddess cooks. Me and Chipotle making gains together.

Nah not a lot of weighted anything these days

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Hobblehob

Well one good thing about how long purgatory is is that it's giving me time to get my cardio on point and also grow a beard lol. I've been a physique competitor for awhile so that he only cardio I did was for fat loss not aerobic capacity. Also iifym is great!

SWOMan

Physique competitors.... when leg day doesn't even happen once hahaha. my squats have gone to hell the last few months. 405 for 5 was once a thing.... now 275 is feeling a lot heavier than I would like to admit haha

Squirrel Girl

I have lost many inches, but weigh the same (160). I have been doing circuit training 3x a week which consist of a lot of body weight, squats/lunges with weights, and some kettlebell work. 2x a week I go to another gym that has a good rowing class and I also squeeze in running some point 2x during the week. I have been rowing more than running to build some endurance, but will soon be running much much more.

Hobblehob

Ha-ha ya a lot of guys ignore legs. I hit them 2x a week. I compete physique because I'm not into the whole steroid thing that is a must in bodybuilding. And Im not into the fat power lifter life either.

SWOMan

@Hobblehob thoughts on "natties" Like Matt Ogus or Jeff Seid? Never go full bear mode.... it doesn't end well for most people. I used to hit legs twice a week...but I stopped because being able to run is more important than squatting.

Hobblehob

Well it doesn't really matter if they juice or not. But with that being said I think Jeff is taking some vitamins for sure and Matt is honestly probably natty but may have dabbled with it. Also I do a heavy leg day once a week and a hitt leg day once that is mostly body weight. I also make sure to run 1.5 miles every day. I'm going to ramp up the cardio when purgatory ends.

banjosquirrel

I spoke to my recruiter today and she confirmed what I've heard about Final Select letters not coming in until about a month before the class start date. She said she's confident I'll still be in the class I've had penciled in for awhile now but not to expect a FinSel til a month out. Thought y'all might be encouraged that I've heard this from an official source!

goldmanharry91

@SWOMan and @Hobblehob hearing you guys talk about this shit makes me crack up. I to do IIFYM but I don't drink anymore and I've kept squatting while running more. I think the one thing that helped me run faster was squatting so I'm not getting rid of that shit until I have to (or until my knees blow up because I hate leaning out haha). Squatting heavy or developing capacity will actually help your running. Once I clear up some shoulder disfunction I'll be back to my regular strength/olympic weightlifting program and just throw in some more weighted push ups, weighted sit ups, and some varied rowing/running endurance work. Going to OCS doesn't mean you have to get weak. You guys also probably have like 30-40lbs on me haha (weighing all of 155lbs)

@banjosquirrel when you scheduled for OCS? As I remember you got your Pro-Rec in December right? Awfully long wait in purgatory.

SWOMan

I never said give up squatting. I gave up deadlifts cause a back pull is a lot more likely of an injury especially at this time. Squatting will make you faster at short term acceleration like sprints, but it's not gonna make you an amazing long distance runner. Ironically I feel like I'm doing more squats than ever from these metcons. (Body squats though )

Here is a good gauge workout I did today Called the filthy 50
Started the morning with a 3 mile run (optional)
50 box jumps
50 jumping pullups
50 pushups
50 lunges
50 abdominal leg raises
50 over head press 45 lb weight
50 burpees
50 body squats
50 high jumps

I do this once a week , generally as my 3rd day in a row of training. It gives me an idea of how well my body is gonna hold out when it's already worn down.

goldmanharry91

I dunno I've been squatting heavy at high volume for the last twelve weeks and I've been able to run just under 1:30min under my best ever mile (considering I hadn't run in like 6-8 months). I wasn't by any means a good runner but my legs could keep up a stronger cadence than my lungs could. I am more predisposed to endurance training so that might be a factor but I think any sort of squatting (with or without weight/low or high volume) is good for running any distances. Squatting only develops speed in so far as you are moving the bar quickly, meaning the weight has to be between 50-75% in all likelihood. That percentage just goes up progressively.

TravisH

Navy2017
I was looking around AW's and came across where some people knew their ship date through CIRIMS way before they actually received their finsel. I texted my new recruiter (third one I've had, in the same recruiting station) to see if he knows anything about it. If anyone used cirims or can explain it, I would appreciate it. Thanks