• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

JohnH

Major assumption. Assuming I am given the yes how long would it normally take to get a class date? I already hold a TS/SCI clearance with a periodic review and adjudication given in December of 2015 (so the common SF86 issues won't be there) and have been approved by MEPS. The board for IDC is early March. Will that make things a little quicker?

romoth

Just re did finger prints at MEPS and resigned those docs, was told it will just be "a few weeks" for finsel. The wait continues.

banjosquirrel

I'm awaiting a FinSel after receiving a Pro-Y for SWO in December. I've been preparing to leave as soon as I can and tying up loose ends before then, but today I was suddenly "evicted" from my current living situation (roommates are expecting a baby and decided that they wanted the whole place to themselves, I'm not on a sublease and it's not worth the drama so I'm getting out).

Does anyone have experience with moving while awaiting a Final Selection letter? I'd ideally like to be somewhere else in the next week, but it's not like I can sign a lease anywhere. I'm reading about leases and that they can be broken for active duty military orders, but 1. does that apply to OCS and 2. can I really do that in good conscience to a landlord? I'm hoping to get an OCS date as soon as possible, obviously, but I have no way of knowing if I'll be leaving in March or if I'll be leave in June, July, or beyond. Looking for some advice!

JohnH

I'm awaiting a FinSel after receiving a Pro-Y for SWO in December. I've been preparing to leave as soon as I can and tying up loose ends before then, but today I was suddenly "evicted" from my current living situation (roommates are expecting a baby and decided that they wanted the whole place to themselves, I'm not on a sublease and it's not worth the drama so I'm getting out).

Does anyone have experience with moving while awaiting a Final Selection letter? I'd ideally like to be somewhere else in the next week, but it's not like I can sign a lease anywhere. I'm reading about leases and that they can be broken for active duty military orders, but 1. does that apply to OCS and 2. can I really do that in good conscience to a landlord? I'm hoping to get an OCS date as soon as possible, obviously, but I have no way of knowing if I'll be leaving in March or if I'll be leave in June, July, or beyond. Looking for some advice!

There is no law forcing you disclose that you will soon be leaving for the military. A copy of your orders is all you need to break lease with no penalties through the service members civil relief act. Knowing that it may be a while before FinSel make sure you take a lease for a while and not just a short term.
I have broken 3 leases now as a soldier using the Service Member's civil relief.

Lex Rae

You could also try to find a place that offers month-to-month leasing, so that when you know you need to leave for OCS, you can just finish out that month's rent and get out. You probably don't want another situation like you're in now, but you could always try to sublet a room or a rental property or something for a temporary amount of time. People post those kinds of things on craigslist all the time. Good luck!

BPeterson93

Soon to be Naval Aviator
You could also try to find a place that offers month-to-month leasing, so that when you know you need to leave for OCS, you can just finish out that month's rent and get out. You probably don't want another situation like you're in now, but you could always try to sublet a room or a rental property or something for a temporary amount of time. People post those kinds of things on craigslist all the time. Good luck!

And with this ^^ you might just end up with a new cuddle buddy. Added bonus for sure.

banjosquirrel

Yeah, ideally I'd find somewhere temporary or month-to-month, but unfortunately where I live (Portland, OR) there's a housing bubble/shortage/crisis going on and the pickins are slim

AB6

Congrats scsmith, thats some nice lead time to get prepared.

Still in purgatory....didn't think it would be so agonizing.

Crqpilot

Agonizing is right.

When I was told it would be an average of 4 months between pro rec y and finsel, I didn't realize that each month would feel like an eternity.

Reactions: AB6