• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

romoth

Has anyone heard any updates, my OR told me that he has no update and that HQ is being remodeled all week. Not sure if he meant NRD or NRC.

romoth

Got a call yesterday saying that my 86 and meps finger prints didn't mesh within 90 days of each other so I have to go get re finger printed before I'll get my letter.

AUSWO1316

LVideo89
Got a call yesterday saying that my 86 and meps finger prints didn't mesh within 90 days of each other so I have to go get re finger printed before I'll get my letter.
I was told in December that I to redo mine, since I had passed the 90 day mark. Finally got over to Memphis on Tuesday to get them redone. I was told it would be a few weeks after they were submitted before I would get my FINSEL. So my waiting game continues.

romoth

Can anyone else confirm that the time between doing this and getting a finsel is a few weeks? I'm working a sales job that is quiet terrible and would love to quit and spend some time with family before OCS, currently financially comfortable enough to be unemployed for about 3 months.

Outdoorsman

Can anyone else confirm that the time between doing this and getting a finsel is a few weeks? I'm working a sales job that is quiet terrible and would love to quit and spend some time with family before OCS, currently financially comfortable enough to be unemployed for about 3 months.

I wouldn't. My job has boiled down to removing staples from things for 8 hours a day and I'm not quitting until I get the letter. Been in purgatory for 5 months now. I've seen too many people have to wait longer (recently, a SWO the other day finally got hers after a year and a half in purgatory) to risk it. I was told I had a perspective date in March, still not quitting till I get the letter in hand. Although not receiving a finsel is apparently rare now (moreso it having the possibility of taking forever to arrive than that), Id' rather not burn through the money I've saved up just to find that I need to get a new job during the wait that's been extended.

romoth

I wouldn't. My job has boiled down to removing staples from things for 8 hours a day and I'm not quitting until I get the letter. Been in purgatory for 5 months now. I've seen too many people have to wait longer (recently, a SWO the other day finally got hers after a year and a half in purgatory) to risk it. I was told I had a perspective date in March, still not quitting till I get the letter in hand. Although not receiving a finsel is apparently rare now (moreso it having the possibility of taking forever to arrive than that), Id' rather not burn through the money I've saved up just to find that I need to get a new job during the wait that's been extended.

This is definitely the most reasonable course of action and probably the safest.

Outdoorsman

This is definitely the most reasonable course of action and probably the safest.

I can definitely understand your urge to quit. I've had a wide variety of bizarre jobs and sales definitely can be awful. I try and rationalize my current job and wait every day by telling myself I'm setting myself up for the future. Every day I'm not in the Navy I'm preparing myself to be better in the Navy physically as well as thinking the more money I save up before going in the better off financially I'll be.

It's helped keep me sane. I've also found it useful to get kind of lost in the routine and try (being the key word) to not think about wishing to get on with everything right away. Work, gym, relax sleep, work, gym, relax, sleep, with trying to sneak in some time with my brother as often as I can in between, as well as continuing leisure activities and hobbies I've always enjoyed. Eventually the call will come, regardless of how much time I spend wondering if it will come today.

Last edited:

AUSWO1316

LVideo89
As I have been told by my recruiter and family (mom and dad who are retired Navy, and brother who is active duty), this is all part of joining and everyone goes through it. And weeks could mean everything from 2 weeks to several months. Waiting will become a big part of our lives once we are actually in the Navy, so this is good practice. My personal opinion would be to save your money, and try to tough it out because you will have jobs in the Navy you don't like but have to do anyway. I do not have the luxury of leaving early, so I will most likely be working at my current job until I get the FINSEL at the earliest, but more likely until my replacement is in place. So basically, right up to my OCS start date. I hope our wait isn't too long, but it doesn't do any good to dwell on it.