• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

NicNakPaddywhak

pilot
out of curiosity how did you find out you were a dual citizen?
Actually, I had no idea until I started the SF-86. Taking closer examination of my birth certificate, I found out mom was a Permanent Resident, not a US Citizen when I was born (she swore in when I was like 6, she had already lived in the US for 20+ years at that point). It wasn't until my recruiter called me with the news that I determined that a child of a Salvadoran citizen is automatically transferred citizenship and El Salvador allows for dual citizenship with the United States. I always figured I qualified to apply for it, but I thought it was something I actually had to go out and do myself.

Knightsnation

Knightsnation
Thanks guys. I don't have a passport or any officially issued documents, so I don't have anything to physically turn in. Does the letter need to be notarized or anything, or just a simple signed letter from me?
From what I remember I signed the letter in front of my recruiter. It basically said I renounced my rights to ever be a citizen of the Philippines.

exNavyOffRec

Actually, I had no idea until I started the SF-86. Taking closer examination of my birth certificate, I found out mom was a Permanent Resident, not a US Citizen when I was born (she swore in when I was like 6, she had already lived in the US for 20+ years at that point). It wasn't until my recruiter called me with the news that I determined that a child of a Salvadoran citizen is automatically transferred citizenship and El Salvador allows for dual citizenship with the United States. I always figured I qualified to apply for it, but I thought it was something I actually had to go out and do myself.

That makes sense, on my first recruiting tour we found out a girl who was trying to enlist wasn't actually a citizen, her parents were both naturalized, then went to work out of the country where she was born, she had a foreign birth certificate and when she went to get the proper documents to show she was a US citizen was told she actually wasn't because her parents left the US shortly after naturalization and didn't stay the needed 5? years

afsf1

I was given a verbal OCS date that is coming up in <3 weeks; I still have not signed or seen a FINSEL letter nor have I swore in yet. Is this cause for concern or am I stressing over nothing?

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
You'll also have to keep a green and white receipt(bill or sale?) I don't remember. But you'll keep that and give it to your process or fax it to prove you have sent the letter. Hope that makes sense.
That green/white slip is a barcoded receipt from the Post Office, which shows proof of having sent something Certified Mail.

Kristen Le

My recruiter had me sign the letter of renunciation AFTER he told me I was pro rec Y for NFO. Not sure when I'll get my FINSEL letter. It's been a month now, any one know if this will delay my ocs date ?

I have a general question, directed at anyone who may be able to provide insight...

For Civilians who are Pro Rec Y, they have an OR (Officer Recruiter) who is able to divulge information such as potential class up dates, etc (before a FINSEL is recieved).
Is there an equivelant for Active Duty military? On the BOL results, it states that no further action is required by a sailor who is Pro Rec Y. It is understood to just wait and do not 'poke the bear'. However, I am married with a wife and kid, stationed overseas. So, I am a little paranoid that I wll recieve a very short notice, not allowing me to file for CLS (Continued Logistics Support) for my family to remain in the AOR while I am attending OCS and follow-on schools. However, until that FINSEL is recieved, I have no idea what the future holds for my family.

No complaints, just curisousity. I am active duty, so I understand how important patience is, just figured I would throw the question out there.

Tim241

Has anyone from the August SWO boards received their FINSELS? I have heard of a few but I was curious if this was a widespread thing or just a couple isolated incidents.

AB6

Talked to my OR today. My FINSEL has been uploaded to the system today but is not available for the NRD to click/access it yet.

scsmith43

pilot
My OR recently notified me that I was selected for both SNA & NFO (I didn't even apply for NFO) and that NRC was leaning towards selecting me for NFO. Since SNA is my first choice, my OR sent NRC a letter stating that I decline NFO and would prefer to be selected for SNA. Has anyone had a similar situation?