• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

bluehens15

Hey everyone,

I just graduated from OCS a couple weeks ago. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have. I probably won't answer everything, but I'll help where I can.

I've already seen a bunch of questions on packing. First, I'd recommend if you're not sure whether you'll be allowed to have it, bring it. You will not be penalized or punished for bringing "contraband". All that will happen is it will go in your lucky bag with all of the other stuff you're not allowed to have(phones, headphones, etc), and you'll get it back in the 9th week when you hit Candio Phase.

I don't think you need to bring two pairs of shoes for RLP. You can, but I've seen it go both ways where yes you saved 30 minutes of cleaning for 30 bucks, but then the DI doing the inspection gets pissed seeing brand new shoes, thinking you're cheating(even though it's allowed) and tries to find more stuff to hit you on. The only reason you should bring two pairs of shoes, is if you run in minimalist/no support shoes, like altras. For the first week, you'll be standing 12+ hours a day in these shoes. I started to have some serious leg pains because my shoes offered no support, and was lucky that I had brought a second pair. If this is you, bring one pair for wearing all the time the first week, and another for PT for the following 11 weeks.

Definitely bring your own set of towels. Because inspections, and because the issued towels suck.

Up to you whether you want to spend the money on nice boot socks. I did and didn't regret it, but I still got blisters. My hatchmate didn't, and didn't get blisters. Idk.

I wouldn't bother buying blue undershirts to bring. You'll be issued 6, and by the time you might want more, you'll be given a NEX run. Save 3 for RLP though.

You won't be allowed to bring an iron. They sell steamers at the NEX which work wonders for 30 bucks. You may or may not be allowed to buy them, class team dependent.

If you have the ability, I highly recommend driving. But buy a car cover. So much seagull shit.
The travel pay is damn good. Also, for SNAs and SNFOs, if you get OHARP, your travel to your hometown will not be paid for. The only travel that's paid for is to Pensacola whenever you start API. So if you fly, your ticket up to newport is paid for, but your ticket home is not. I assume if you flew straight to Pensacola it'd be paid for, but I have no experience with that. Lucky for me, Atlanta is on the way from Newport to Pensacola, so I'll eventually get reimbursed for the driving I've already done because it's included in the Newport to Pensacola travel pay.

Any other questions?

Did you find yourself needing anything besides what the packing list actually says? Basically why bring anything not on the list of chances are you wont be able to have it anyway? If that makes sense

Did you find yourself needing anything besides what the packing list actually says? Basically why bring anything not on the list of chances are you wont be able to have it anyway? If that makes sense

Because there's a chance your class team is unique and will let you have something that's typically not allowed. For example, one recent class was allowed alarm clocks, if they'd brought them in their bag. Personally I thought this was BS because half of the stress of the first 3 weeks is waking up in the middle of the night not knowing if you have 2 hours or a half hour until someone starts banging on your door.

So definitely bring an alarm clock. A wrist watch. An electric razor(pretty sure these are always allowed now).

Also bring pretty much whatever underwear you want. No ones going to check it. Though you will want white/body colored for when you wear whites.

bluehens15

Because there's a chance your class team is unique and will let you have something that's typically not allowed. For example, one recent class was allowed alarm clocks, if they'd brought them in their bag. Personally I thought this was BS because half of the stress of the first 3 weeks is waking up in the middle of the night not knowing if you have 2 hours or a half hour until someone starts banging on your door.

So definitely bring an alarm clock. A wrist watch. An electric razor(pretty sure these are always allowed now).

Also bring pretty much whatever underwear you want. No ones going to check it. Though you will want white/body colored for when you wear whites.

Awesome thanks man

ClassyGent23

Hey everyone,

I just graduated from OCS a couple weeks ago. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have. I probably won't answer everything, but I'll help where I can.

I've already seen a bunch of questions on packing. First, I'd recommend if you're not sure whether you'll be allowed to have it, bring it. You will not be penalized or punished for bringing "contraband". All that will happen is it will go in your lucky bag with all of the other stuff you're not allowed to have(phones, headphones, etc), and you'll get it back in the 9th week when you hit Candio Phase.

I don't think you need to bring two pairs of shoes for RLP. You can, but I've seen it go both ways where yes you saved 30 minutes of cleaning for 30 bucks, but then the DI doing the inspection gets pissed seeing brand new shoes, thinking you're cheating(even though it's allowed) and tries to find more stuff to hit you on. The only reason you should bring two pairs of shoes, is if you run in minimalist/no support shoes, like altras. For the first week, you'll be standing 12+ hours a day in these shoes. I started to have some serious leg pains because my shoes offered no support, and was lucky that I had brought a second pair. If this is you, bring one pair for wearing all the time the first week, and another for PT for the following 11 weeks.

Definitely bring your own set of towels. Because inspections, and because the issued towels suck.

Up to you whether you want to spend the money on nice boot socks. I did and didn't regret it, but I still got blisters. My hatchmate didn't, and didn't get blisters. Idk.

I wouldn't bother buying blue undershirts to bring. You'll be issued 6, and by the time you might want more, you'll be given a NEX run. Save 3 for RLP though.

You won't be allowed to bring an iron. They sell steamers at the NEX which work wonders for 30 bucks. You may or may not be allowed to buy them, class team dependent.

If you have the ability, I highly recommend driving. But buy a car cover. So much seagull shit.
The travel pay is damn good. Also, for SNAs and SNFOs, if you get OHARP, your travel to your hometown will not be paid for. The only travel that's paid for is to Pensacola whenever you start API. So if you fly, your ticket up to newport is paid for, but your ticket home is not. I assume if you flew straight to Pensacola it'd be paid for, but I have no experience with that. Lucky for me, Atlanta is on the way from Newport to Pensacola, so I'll eventually get reimbursed for the driving I've already done because it's included in the Newport to Pensacola travel pay.

Any other questions?

Thanks a lot for all of this! I wish I could drive but it is nearly a 24 hour drive and I'd have to do it alone. I was told if I drive I also have to cover my own hotels. As for questions, what all on the packing list should we buy beforehand and what should we just buy there? How much money did you bring? Do you think it is better, worse, or no difference either way to go in clean shaven and with a military style hair cut? How was the first week? What were things that you had troubles adjusting to?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to have the most info possible.

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
So definitely bring... An electric razor(pretty sure these are always allowed now).

YES. This is gonna save my life. Razors give me the bumps so bad due to the closeness of the shave, so I've used an electric since getting out of basic. The shave isn't as close, and will probably need to be redone before inspections, but at least I'll look presentable in uniform.

LadyT

Thanks a lot for all of this! I wish I could drive but it is nearly a 24 hour drive and I'd have to do it alone. I was told if I drive I also have to cover my own hotels. As for questions, what all on the packing list should we buy beforehand and what should we just buy there? How much money did you bring? Do you think it is better, worse, or no difference either way to go in clean shaven and with a military style hair cut? How was the first week? What were things that you had troubles adjusting to?

My drive will be approximately 20 hours, but I still think I will drive. My understanding is that you get a per diem, plus mileage (someone please correct me if I am wrong). So if you don't mind staying at so-so hotels and getting there within the alloted time, I still think you could have some extra cash at the end.

MikeMillerUK

Nearing the end of Primary
Contributor
First time posting on here in a long time. Found out a few days ago, but FinSel is finally in for me for the September 6 class! Selected SNA at the October 2014 board. Finally checking out of purgatory and looking forward to seeing everyone in Newport!

ClassyGent23

My drive will be approximately 20 hours, but I still think I will drive. My understanding is that you get a per diem, plus mileage (someone please correct me if I am wrong). So if you don't mind staying at so-so hotels and getting there within the alloted time, I still think you could have some extra cash at the end.

Yeah I thought of that as well. But then I got the thought that "I have no idea where I will be stationed at." I live in Nebraska, so it is pretty central. If I were to get stationed on West Coast, I'd have to drive all the way through. Even the drive to Mayport, FL would be 17 hours from Newport and around 19 hours from Nebraska.

Also I was thinking of stopping at Virginia Beach for the week before OCS. Do you know, if I drove from Nebraska to VA Beach and then VA Beach to Newport, would I get my mileage paid for?

Yes you have to "cover your own hotels", but the per diem is around $130. Also, the navy doesn't expect you to drive more than 350 miles per day.

I would bring as much stuff as you'd need for 3 weeks. Yes, you're supposed to get a NEX run after the first week. My class didn't. You'll definitely get one after 2 weeks, but doesn't hurt to be prepared. I don't know what's on the packing list, so I'll need some specific examples of stuff you're thinking about bringing/buying.

Definitely go in clean shaven. You'll stick out the first day being the guy with the beard. You don't want to stick out. Not for having a beard, at least.

Don't get a buzz cut before you go. You'll have to pay 9 bucks for one on the first day even if you have a chrome dome.

I'm not sure about money. I think the bare minimum suggestion is $20. I brought a couple hundred which was totally unnecessary. You'll get plenty of chances to go to an ATM before having to pay for stuff like class t shirts and Hi Moms in cash. the NEX and uniform shop take credit/debit.

The first week isn't bad. It's just a very rough awakening. It's also dependent on the style of the Candios. It's the 2nd and 3rd weeks that are a lot tougher and much more draining. Make sleep a priority. What worked for me is thinking about it as a game with very strict, very specific rules. Learn the rules(read the OCR), and stick to them like the annoying kid in elementary school who took Simon says way too seriously. Memorize as much of appendix Bravo (inspection knowledge) as you can before you get there.

Yeah I thought of that as well. But then I got the thought that "I have no idea where I will be stationed at." I live in Nebraska, so it is pretty central. If I were to get stationed on West Coast, I'd have to drive all the way through. Even the drive to Mayport, FL would be 17 hours from Newport and around 19 hours from Nebraska.

Also I was thinking of stopping at Virginia Beach for the week before OCS. Do you know, if I drove from Nebraska to VA Beach and then VA Beach to Newport, would I get my mileage paid for?

The only mileage the navy pays for is a direct driving route from A to B. If you go out of the way to VA Beach, you won't get the mileage pay for it.

Also, travel pay is a reimbursement. You don't get it up front.

LadyT

Yes you have to "cover your own hotels", but the per diem is around $130. Also, the navy doesn't expect you to drive more than 350 miles per day.

I would bring as much stuff as you'd need for 3 weeks. Yes, you're supposed to get a NEX run after the first week. My class didn't. You'll definitely get one after 2 weeks, but doesn't hurt to be prepared. I don't know what's on the packing list, so I'll need some specific examples of stuff you're thinking about bringing/buying.

Definitely go in clean shaven. You'll stick out the first day being the guy with the beard. You don't want to stick out. Not for having a beard, at least.

Don't get a buzz cut before you go. You'll have to pay 9 bucks for one on the first day even if you have a chrome dome.

I'm not sure about money. I think the bare minimum suggestion is $20. I brought a couple hundred which was totally unnecessary. You'll get plenty of chances to go to an ATM before having to pay for stuff like class t shirts and Hi Moms in cash. the NEX and uniform shop take credit/debit.

The first week isn't bad. It's just a very rough awakening. It's also dependent on the style of the Candios. It's the 2nd and 3rd weeks that are a lot tougher and much more draining. Make sleep a priority. What worked for me is thinking about it as a game with very strict, very specific rules. Learn the rules(read the OCR), and stick to them like the annoying kid in elementary school who took Simon says way too seriously. Memorize as much of appendix Bravo (inspection knowledge) as you can before you get there.
Do you get reimbursed for the trip home? My school will be in Newport, but I am not sure if school will start right after OCS.

Checking into purgatory from the 30 June selection board. Hopefully I'll get my FINSEL soon for SNA. On an interesting note I was a non-select for Air Force previously (March '15) and this morning I got a call saying I was retroactively selected for RPA (Remotely Piloted Aircraft) and was given a class date of 30 October. I declined the offer because I really want to be in an airplane and I don't want to live at Clovis or Nellis. (my brother spent four years at each and hated it). Somehow this is making my purgatory worse...