• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
I didn't know if they would allow the thin ribbons, I need to get mine ordered!

I've heard from several OCS graduates that they are allowed. I figure, even if they are not, I'll be able to use them after OCS. Plus, I can always get the regular ones at the NEX if necessary. Someone even told me that they got two sets of thin ribbons, one for their khakis and one to leave on their dress uniform. One thing I almost forgot to do was get the separate set of ribbons for the ribbons that don't have an associated medal, to wear on the right breast when the medals are on the left breast.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
Some of the things I've settled upon are toiletries (obviously), boot socks (maybe 7-8 pairs, I'm experimenting with Thorlo and Fox River right now), white crew socks (7-8 pairs, maybe Gold Toe), running shoes (only one pair), two white towels, wristwatch (G-shock), thin-ribbons, mounted metals, and boxer briefs (white and gray, 7-8 pairs).
I did my Target run for OCS gear this week and I got pretty much this same set of items. I did not get boot socks, hoping to find those at the NEX when we get uniforms; but did pick up a pack of tagless white crew neck t-shirts. Was hesitant to get blue because I wanted to be sure about the color match. Also picked up an $8 battery-powered alarm clock, since the OCS website says those *may* be authorized and I wanted to be covered if we got those but not watches for whatever reason.

One thing I'm really unclear on, though, is the towels. Have seen a number of older posts that recommend bringing two, but towels are no longer listed as a required/permitted item on the OCS site. Are we allowed to bring our own? If I show up with no towel, will I be issued one the first day and regret that decision because, cheap towels?

psulaw0929

One thing I'm really unclear on, though, is the towels. Have seen a number of older posts that recommend bringing two, but towels are no longer listed as a required/permitted item on the OCS site. Are we allowed to bring our own? If I show up with no towel, will I be issued one the first day and regret that decision because, cheap towels?

I've read that you are issued towel(s) but that they are not very comfortable and that you'll want to keep them in good condition for RLP (IP nightmare). So, people recommend getting more comfortable towels to actually use. I'm bringing two because one might get kind of funky after a few days (especially since you may not be able to leave the un-issued towel hanging out to dry) and I also don't know how the laundry situation works.

Sheney

I've heard from several OCS graduates that they are allowed. I figure, even if they are not, I'll be able to use them after OCS. Plus, I can always get the regular ones at the NEX if necessary. Someone even told me that they got two sets of thin ribbons, one for their khakis and one to leave on their dress uniform. One thing I almost forgot to do was get the separate set of ribbons for the ribbons that don't have an associated medal, to wear on the right breast when the medals are on the left breast.
Have you heard if we need just the dress warfare devices or do we need the dull ones as well?

psulaw0929

Have you heard if we need just the dress warfare devices or do we need the dull ones as well?

I don't have a warfare device so I haven't paid as much attention to that. I had to qualify nuclear reactor operator so surface warfare quals weren't a priority for nukes. However, looking at pictures of OCS and OCS graduations, I have seen both the traditional finish (usually with khakis and the dress blues) and the mirror finish (usually in white chokers) worn with different uniforms.

psulaw0929

Don't forget shower shoes (don't know if they count as toiletries lol)

That's one of the things I've been debating. I believe shower shoes are issued; however, they probably have to be kept inspection ready. Also, I've read that people don't really wear shower shoes anymore now that only two hatches (four sailors) share a head with two showers. In bootcamp, it was 50 dudes crammed into a one room shower the size of a walk-in closet. It will be nice to have an actual shower and not have to do the three-person "carwash" rotation. lol. Maybe I'll buy some $1 flipflops from Old Navy or something like that just in case. Thanks for reminding me :)

LadyT

That's one of the things I've been debating. I believe shower shoes are issued; however, they probably have to be kept inspection ready. Also, I've read that people don't really wear shower shoes anymore now that only two hatches (four sailors) share a head with two showers. In bootcamp, it was 50 dudes crammed into a one room shower the size of a walk-in closet. It will be nice to have an actual shower and not have to do the three-person "carwash" rotation. lol. Maybe I'll buy some $1 flipflops from Old Navy or something like that just in case. Thanks for reminding me :)
I am one of those weird people who have to have shower shoes...even if it is just one other person lol.

I say shower shoes, but mine have always been cheap flip flops.

exNavyOffRec

I don't have a warfare device so I haven't paid as much attention to that. I had to qualify nuclear reactor operator so surface warfare quals weren't a priority for nukes. However, looking at pictures of OCS and OCS graduations, I have seen both the traditional finish (usually with khakis and the dress blues) and the mirror finish (usually in white chokers) worn with different uniforms.

when did you get out? the spotlight went on all the nukes for ESWS when I was on the carrier

psulaw0929

July 2006. Jeez, after a year and a half of quals/school in the nuclear power pipeline and then another year and a half of qualifications once I got to the ship, and then continued proficiency testing, it would be hard to get motivated to do a whole other qual that had nothing to do with my job. I'm glad I missed that. I am looking forward to qualifying Information Dominance Warfare though! I would love to knock it out as quickly as possible.

Jetnerd1123

Yes it has lol. Is anyone planning to take any time off between their civilian job and attending OCS? I think I will take a month off (time permitting) and just visit family and relax.
Definitely plan to. I work home construction/improvement from 0600 to 1630, with a 0430 wake up. So, studying and working out are usually dependent on the work day. I hope I can at least know a month in advance, so I can return to my two-a-day workout routine and studying.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

July 2006. Jeez, after a year and a half of quals/school in the nuclear power pipeline and then another year and a half of qualifications once I got to the ship, and then continued proficiency testing, it would be hard to get motivated to do a whole other qual that had nothing to do with my job. I'm glad I missed that. I am looking forward to qualifying Information Dominance Warfare though! I would love to knock it out as quickly as possible.

no ESWS equaled adverse eval, for a while they would not let you get SRO/RO without it, which made you go delinquent on SIR quals, the first few groups tried to buck the system thinking commands wouldn't really do anything bad, but they did, after that everyone fell in line pretty dang fast