• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Just from following this thread, I noticed that applicants from previous boards are placed first than applicants from more recent boards. But I also noticed age critical applicants getting placed from recent boards because of the fact that they're age critical. Maybe someone with more knowledge and experience and help us understand this process better, this was just my observation.

From our standpoint it is pretty much completely random, and you have to remember that the people on AW are an extremely small sample of the number of people waiting to get a FS and go to OCS. So really it would be a waste of time and brainpower trying to solve the puzzle.

Instead, focus on the things you can control: staying in shape, seeing your family and friends, etc.

Sheney

Yes it has lol. Is anyone planning to take any time off between their civilian job and attending OCS? I think I will take a month off (time permitting) and just visit family and relax.
I've already started my time off. Using all this free time to workout and study!

Sheney

What is everyone planning on taking to OCS other than what's on the items list? What type of PT shoes are you planning on taking?

LadyT

What is everyone planning on taking to OCS other than what's on the items list? What type of PT shoes are you planning on taking?
I am not sure what type of shoes to bring. Probably a running shoe with great cushioning. I will probably go get fitted for a pair.

I would love to be able to bring music and headphones, but I don't know if that is allowed. I think I have seen people mention bringing something to help prevent chaffing. I am going to bring stationary and stamps. One of my family members went through ODS so I may pick her brain and see if there was anything she had wished she had brought.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015

I've been struggling with this. I've collected and assembled several lists from this website regarding what to bring. Some of them are quite lengthy. Then I've seen just as many comments about just showing up with the bare minimum and that all the extraneous stuff is unnecessary. I'm also still not 100% clear on the idea that there are a number of items you can't bring into OCS, but you should bring them anyway and leave them in your car, and then you can go get them later. First of all, I'm not sure what excuse one would use to justify going to their car during OCS. Secondly, I would hesitate to bring in things from my car that I wasn't permitted to bring in in the first place.

Some of the things I've settled upon are toiletries (obviously), boot socks (maybe 7-8 pairs, I'm experimenting with Thorlo and Fox River right now), white crew socks (7-8 pairs, maybe Gold Toe), running shoes (only one pair), two white towels, wristwatch (G-shock), thin-ribbons, mounted metals, and boxer briefs (white and gray, 7-8 pairs).

Some of the things I'm struggling with: t-shirts (white? navy? both? how many of each?), dress socks (I've seen these recommended but I've also heard the issued ones are fine), and an iron (I really don't want to have to bring an iron but I take my ironing seriously and I don't want to iron my RLP uniforms with some POS iron that has a decade of starch burnt on the bottom).

Other things I think might be useful but I've read that are either already available or are easily purchased at the NEX: starch, blue painter's tape, clear nail polish, super glue, and lint rollers.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
Yes it has lol. Is anyone planning to take any time off between their civilian job and attending OCS? I think I will take a month off (time permitting) and just visit family and relax.
I report to OCS this weekend and only took off this week (last day at work was last Friday). Seemed like a good idea at the time because I have a mortgage, a kid, and the family health insurance, but in retrospect at least one more week off would have been ideal. I'm definitely having to prioritize my time for some things at the expense of others (i.e. seeing friends and family vs. squaring away my car, house, finances, etc.). It's certainly not impossible and I'll get all the important things done, but I don't have many moments to just decompress and mentally prepare for what's next.

Sheney

I've been struggling with this. I've collected and assembled several lists from this website regarding what to bring. Some of them are quite lengthy. Then I've seen just as many comments about just showing up with the bare minimum and that all the extraneous stuff is unnecessary. I'm also still not 100% clear on the idea that there are a number of items you can't bring into OCS, but you should bring them anyway and leave them in your car, and then you can go get them later. First of all, I'm not sure what excuse one would use to justify going to their car during OCS. Secondly, I would hesitate to bring in things from my car that I wasn't permitted to bring in in the first place.

Some of the things I've settled upon are toiletries (obviously), boot socks (maybe 7-8 pairs, I'm experimenting with Thorlo and Fox River right now), white crew socks (7-8 pairs, maybe Gold Toe), running shoes (only one pair), two white towels, wristwatch (G-shock), thin-ribbons, mounted metals, and boxer briefs (white and gray, 7-8 pairs).

Some of the things I'm struggling with: t-shirts (white? navy? both? how many of each?), dress socks (I've seen these recommended but I've also heard the issued ones are fine), and an iron (I really don't want to have to bring an iron but I take my ironing seriously and I don't want to iron my RLP uniforms with some POS iron that has a decade of starch burnt on the bottom).

Other things I think might be useful but I've read that are either already available or are easily purchased at the NEX: starch, blue painter's tape, clear nail polish, super glue, and lint rollers.
I didn't know if they would allow the thin ribbons, I need to get mine ordered!