• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

Jetnerd1123

There's no gym with an indoor pool near you? Damn dude. It's not the end of the world honestly, but it's nice.

Yeah, I'm sure it's super helpful! I love swimming too. I'm in Pensacola at the moment, and I've been swimming as much as possible. Plus, I'm about to hit up the Blue Angels performance and the National Naval Aviation Museum. Super stoked.

ClassyGent23

Do y'all know what the swim qual looks like? I asked my recruiter and he was pretty vague about it. I saw the one in the OCS prep handbook that they gave me and it seemed pretty straight-forward: swim 50 yards without touching the ground, abandon ship jump (jump from a 3 meter tower), 5 minute prone float (face down), and thee shirt and trouser inflation.

Is there any particular strokes we should know? I have been practicing free style and breast stroke, but my recruiter said they may ask to see back stroke and something that he called a survival stroke.

LadyT

Do y'all know what the swim qual looks like? I asked my recruiter and he was pretty vague about it. I saw the one in the OCS prep handbook that they gave me and it seemed pretty straight-forward: swim 50 yards without touching the ground, abandon ship jump (jump from a 3 meter tower), 5 minute prone float (face down), and thee shirt and trouser inflation.

Is there any particular strokes we should know? I have been practicing free style and breast stroke, but my recruiter said they may ask to see back stroke and something that he called a survival stroke.
From my understanding what you mentioned in the first paragraph is the basic swim test. I think you can use any basic stroke (freestyle, back, breast, etc). I think if you want to qualify for the advance swim qualification you have to use more than stroke.

PettyOfficerCJ

For the qual, you just have to complete the distance. You can use any stroke you want. You can even doggy paddle if you so choose. I've seen people pass the 3rd class swim call swimming in such a way that if they were anywhere else a lifeguard would jump in to save them. lol

ClassyGent23

For the qual, you just have to complete the distance. You can use any stroke you want. You can even doggy paddle if you so choose. I've seen people pass the 3rd class swim call swimming in such a way that if they were anywhere else a lifeguard would jump in to save them. lol

The distance being the 50 yards?

uncdude33

If it is anything like boot camp you spend maybe half an hour in the pool at OCS total. But there is a fair amount of swimming initially in flight programs in Pensacola.

mhunter

None
I'M OUT!
Just got my orders for 16 August 2015. About a year wait in total (if counting from the time I submitted my package).
Everyone else here should keep the faith; there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Officially out as well! Got my finsel a few minutes ago. August 16 sounds like a pretty good time to start ocs, perfect timing to head south for the winter!
Just remember us poor indocs you met through AW when you are a Candio! If my date holds up, yall will be my Candios. Good luck!

RuleofLawviation

T1 Advanced
Just remember us poor indocs you met through AW when you are a Candio! If my date holds up, yall will be my Candios. Good luck!
While I'm sure its difficulty doesn't compare to pledging a fraternity (so forgive the analogy), but I still remember the brothers who were humane when they could be. I don't know what kind of treatment I am in for but I fully intend on being as helpful to the classes behind me as possible so @mhunter you've got a friendly candio in me. Good luck to you as well!

mhunter

None
While I'm sure its difficulty doesn't compare to pledging a fraternity (so forgive the analogy), but I still remember the brothers who were humane when they could be. I don't know what kind of treatment I am in for but I fully intend on being as helpful to the classes behind me as possible so @mhunter you've got a friendly candio in me. Good luck to you as well!
Sounds good man! See you in Newport!