• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

filed in error

coredukes

None
Last year I was given a notice to appear for disorderly intoxication but the charge was filed in error. It was given to me by a trainee cop who thought I was someone else. Long story short it was cleared up by the officers’ trainer and dropped by the state. I have a letter that states that no information was found due to charges being filed in error. Due to my ignorance of how this works, I thought since it was filed in error and it was the officers’ mistake the case would be gone and obviously I didn’t mention it. But over the weekend I was talking with a buddy who works in the county clerk’s office and he said that no matter what, that info can’t be deleted after it is entered even if it was in error. So the fact that it was filed in error doesn’t matter it’s still in the court system saying I was charged but it was dismissed/dropped for no information. I honestly thought I didn’t have to say anything since I have a letter from the state attorney saying the charges were filed in error. I think of myself of someone with integrity and I definitely want to do the right thing and can’t stop worrying about this. I’m in BDCP now so do I need to bring this up to my recruiter even though the charges were filed in error and I have the letter to prove it? I would have never of thought twice about this since I have that letter but now that I know the record is still in the system I feel like I’ve lied and I don’t like that feeling. Just need a little advice. Thanks

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, tell him. It sounds like your explanation and letter should be sufficient.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Better to inform them now and explain what happened just like you did in your post than have them discover it and think you were hiding something. Even if it wasn't your intention, someone will probably think you were trying to skate by without them noticing it.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I had something similar when I was in high school and it's no big deal. As long as your story can be corroborated by the agency that was responsible.

Mention it to your recruiter and also to the GIS agent who does your security clearance, do your best to make sure it doesn't look like you are trying to hide anything.

coredukes

None
Mention it to your recruiter and also to the GIS agent who does your security clearance, do your best to make sure it doesn't look like you are trying to hide anything.

I'm already in BDCP and my clearance was still good from when I was enlisted in the AF so Im passed that point. This was my first experience with the legal system so I was unaware of what occurred when charges were filed especially when they shouldnt have been. I appreciate all the advice and obviously I am going to let him know. Thanks again to everyone.

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
From personal experience, these things go ALOT more smoothly if you're upfront about it. Let your OR know about it now, and provide the Attorney's letter and case report if you can and if he needs it. That way he can take care of any snafu's now rather than have them creep up on you later when you can't proactively handle things on your own initiative.