• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fiber Optic Cables vs Landscaping...tales of yard gashes

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I spent a portion of my life polishing the ends of fiber optic cable, I do have some experience.......Where is our “dead horse” icon?

I obviously have too much time on my hands.

Okay Chief, what the heck have you not done? And what is this 'polishing' you speak of? :D

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Okay Chief, what the heck have you not done? And what is this 'polishing' you speak of? :D

Well, was never one to sit in the corner and suck on my thumb, or anything else for that matter.

When Fiber Optical cable is cut, the ends must be highly polished before two ends can be joined. Today they have machines for the task, and that will measure results as well.

In 1984 I engineered a "gov" fiber optic system when fiber optic systems were still "novel". A highly visible, political program, an industry group of experts (including Dr. Lyons from Texas Instruments) reviewed my plans and declared the system unworkable, the agency IG in a report (now framed in my office) said that I did not know what I was doing and forbade me from proceeding. I then established a "skunk works" in my organization and proceeded to develop and implement the plan. Successful, I received the agency Gold Medal for the effort and the system is still in operation today.

No fear. The Nav taught me well.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Well, was never one to sit in the corner and suck on my thumb, or anything else for that matter.

When Fiber Optical cable is cut, the ends must be highly polished before two ends can be joined. Today they have machines for the task, and that will measure results as well.

In 1984 I engineered a "gov" fiber optic system when fiber optic systems were still "novel". A highly visible, political program, an industry group of experts (including Dr. Lyons from Texas Instruments) reviewed my plans and declared the system unworkable, the agency IG in a report (now framed in my office) said that I did not know what I was doing and forbade me from proceeding. I then established a "skunk works" in my organization and proceeded to develop and implement the plan. Successful, I received the agency Gold Medal for the effort and the system is still in operation today.

No fear. The Nav taught me well.
Typical Goat - never pass up an opportunity to prove you're right.:D

phrogpilot73

We're back up, with an underground cable... At least the tech commented on our landscaping - saying we did a good job.