• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Female VS Male PFT

AV8BQAR

Mech
In OCS and TBS, how are the different genders ranked by PFT? I know what the requirements are for each to get a 300, but really, the females have an extra 3 minutes to run and still look good on paper.

If I run in the 18's, will I get extra points for being way beyond my 100 points on the run? Will running with the lead (male) pack reflect on my evaluation or should I save my effort and just jog something under 21:00?

The reason that I am asking is because I am hoping for a flight contract. It is a long complicated road for me, but I want the challenge. I have worked on AV8B's for 11 years and my dream has always been to fly. One of the details is that I will have to gain 20 pounds for the ejection seat- not an easy thing for me to do. I am afraid that if I bulk up my run time will be slower. However, it might take me quite a while to gain that kind of weight.

I know there is much more than the PFT as far as overall evaluation, but I need all the advantages I can get. Any input?

hrntcat18

dude we all know (some of us priors) know that females could walk the PFT if they wanted to with the standards. i would just stay fit and blow everyone out the water on the pft, do your best and dont worry about weather females get it easy or not.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
Keep in mind that you do not need a 300 PFT to get an air contract. Its a great thing to shoot for, but not everyone has one. I contracted with a 260, and seem to hover around 280 post-TBS. No, there are no extra points for being below 18 minutes on the run... Worry about getting your air contract first. After that you can try to add weight and worry about airframe limitations. Believe it or not, you can learn to run fast after adding 20 lbs... Don't worry about what the females have to do. They've got more time, they dont do pull-ups, and it means nothing. Submit your package and see what happens.

You must be at least 28-30 if you've worked on Harriers for that long. That puts you in a different PFT bracket. Maybe this can balance out the difference in run times the added weight could cause.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I may be wrong, but especially since AV8BQAR said they need to gain wiegh for an ejection seat... and was worried abou female requirements... I think this person is a female. Her reason for asking about female requirements was:

If she runs a 300 under the MALE standards (as a female), will it earn her any extra points than if she ran it under the female standards. And I'm prety sure he answer is no. A 300 is a 300. So, pack on he wiegh, if you can and if you want, but make sure you can still earn your PFT score at a decent level.

I'm not a marine, but I'm at API right now, and I almost have no idea how I got here. My ASTB was 6/6/6/ and my application PFT was a good medium (Navy standards).

It'll be tougher for me in the program perhaps, but entrance wasn't too difficult.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Don't forget that nobody gets the "old guy discount" on PFT's while at OCS. Everyone has to shoot for the 18:00 three mile and whatnot.

Crowbar

None
AV8BQAR said:
In OCS and TBS, how are the different genders ranked by PFT? I know what the requirements are for each to get a 300, but really, the females have an extra 3 minutes to run and still look good on paper...will I get extra points...I have worked on AV8B's for 11 years...I know there is much more than the PFT as far as overall evaluation, but I need all the advantages I can get. Any input?

Whoa. You've been in 11 years and you think you'll get 'extra points' for running faster than 21 minutes? The best advantage you could have would be to go to OCS/TBS not thinking in terms of gender and just thinking in terms of doing the best you can at everything.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AV8BQAR said:
One of the details is that I will have to gain 20 pounds for the ejection seat- not an easy thing for me to do. I am afraid that if I bulk up my run time will be slower. However, it might take me quite a while to gain that kind of weight.

Not any kind of expert on the USMC PFT, but the weight limits for the ejection seat are waivable. I am a relatively small guy and for my first flight physical was below the weight limit by four pounds or so. All I had to do was sign a waiver acknowledging that I was at "increased risk of injury" or somesuch. You might want to check that with a doc, but I wouldn't worry too much. After all, better to be too light and throw out your back than too heavy and not clear the tail . . . :icon_tong

AV8BQAR

Mech
Aaich!

I forgot to specify that I am indeed female. I also agree that our PFT standards are a joke. So is it just boot camp that the above and beyond a 300 counts towards anything? I had the Ironman award way back them but thought it was pretty cheesy running only 1 1/2 miles.

Since I have had continuous exposure to student Harrier pilots for 7 years at 203, you would think that I would have more concrete answers to some of my questions. However, the specs seem to be evolving so quickly that I have to contact OSO's directly for the latest gouge.

I went over the anthropometrics with our flight surgeon the other day, and we could not find anything that allowed a waiver for ejection seat weight. I think that will be my biggest challenge beyond my age. Understand that I put away 3-4 grand in calories a day RIGHT NOW.

I really appreciate the input. Also, if anybody has Harrier specific questions, I can give good, accurate info. It is an amazing aircraft and I love working on it.

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
I'm not too sure about that type of waiver, but if you're heart is set on flying why limit yourself to jets? I understand the attatchment after working on the Harrier for so long, but from what I hear everyone ends up loving what they fly. I came in to the Marines with a 'jets only' mentality, and now look forward to getting into whatever is presented. I know that there is no added benefit to getting above a 300... the max is just that, the max. I'd just go in doing the best you can and let the docs figure out the anthro stuff. There is no way to game which airframe you end up in, so trying to get the slot for Harriers only is most likely pretty futile. Bust your ass OCS through flight school, and see what happens. Like all the winged guys on here say, there is no bad job in Naval Aviation.

AV8BQAR

Mech
I am just happy with the fact that I have a chance at Harriers. 10 years ago, I didn't. As immature as it was back then, I had left my MECEP package undone just because I didn't even have a chance. Now I am ready to accept whatever route that happens, with the knowledge that I can try as hard as I can.

The only reason that I am backed up to a wall on age is that I got out for almost 7 years at the urging of my husband. Last fall he realized that I still was not happy about getting out and told me to reenlist if I wanted to. Fortunately I was at the training squadron the whole time I was out. I hope the connections I have established at the squadron can help me on this, they were able to keep me at 203 as a Marine after all!

snort

Banned
AV8BQAR said:
I am just happy with the fact that I have a chance at Harriers. 10 years ago, I didn't. As immature as it was back then, I had left my MECEP package undone just because I didn't even have a chance. Now I am ready to accept whatever route that happens, with the knowledge that I can try as hard as I can.

The only reason that I am backed up to a wall on age is that I got out for almost 7 years at the urging of my husband. Last fall he realized that I still was not happy about getting out and told me to reenlist if I wanted to. Fortunately I was at the training squadron the whole time I was out. I hope the connections I have established at the squadron can help me on this, they were able to keep me at 203 as a Marine after all!
Work it,girl.

I never worked with a female, but it wouldn't bother me a bit. In fact, I know several women who are **** hot pilots. And they aren't young.